PDA

View Full Version : Smart Guns and Safer Bullets

wbm
02-01-2022, 10:22 AM
One of the cornerstones of President Biden’s gun control plan for America is to
"put America on the path to ensuring that 100% of firearms sold … are smart guns...Today, we have the technology to allow only authorized users to fire a gun.”

President Clinton's Surgeon General Joycelyn Elders said "we need safer bullets and safer guns" and now we have "smart guns" to put the safer bullets in. So! Is the new plan like "safer bullets for safer smarter guns!?" Warning: (If you have a lithp/lisp attempting to enunciate the foregoing may cause PTSD for those in parts of California. Consult your health care provider)

J.Baker
02-01-2022, 11:11 AM
They've tried this before under Obama, it won't go anywhere. IIRC California tried passing a law requiring all new firearms sold in the state to utilize micro-stamping technology to imprint the serial number on fired rounds via the firing pin so spent casings at a crime scene could easily be traced back to the firing weapon, but the courts shot it down as it placed undue financial burden on manufacturers as the technology was still in it's infancy and extremely expensive to implement in a mass production environment. When that failed they tried passing a law requiring all ammunition sold in the state to be micro-stamped with a serial number or something to that effect, which again was shot down by the courts for the same reason.

They know it won't fly, but it's a means to appease their base by making it look like they're trying to do something.

wbm
02-01-2022, 11:51 AM
Wondering how the San Jose CA "insurance requirement" for firearms owners that was recently passed will hold up in court also.

Dave Hoback
02-01-2022, 12:36 PM
Exactly what Jim said. Maybe one day, but certainly not in my and I don’t believe even my children’s lifetimes. Too great a cost(you think the Gov. will foot the Bill?) And already been ruled UNCONSTITUTIONAL, which will continue as case study in the future. Besides that, and just as the Democrat trying to TAKE Guns, it simply WON’T happen! They will NEVER be able to take guns out of our hands. It is the ONE sure way to another Civil War. I’m not even crazy... I’m a regular guy, pay my taxes, believe in rule of law, etc. But if the FBI came to your home trying to forcibly enter to take my property, they would have to kill me first. And if ANYONE is trying to shoot at me..., I shoot back! Like I said, I’m not even one of the crazy ones. I’ve come across a couple of the crazy ones while living in Arizona. Scary.

J.Baker
02-01-2022, 01:31 PM
Wondering how the San Jose CA "insurance requirement" for firearms owners that was recently passed will hold up in court also.

The insurance requirement will get shot down by the courts without a doubt. Even the example they use of requiring insurance for an automobile doesn't pass muster as there's no constitutional right to own/operate a motor vehicle.

On the other hand, the corresponding tax in the same bill might get a pass by the courts as states do have the right to impose taxes. It really just depends on whether the court sees it as an undue burden to exercise one's constitutional right.