PDA

View Full Version : Magazine Issues

AlexV4RR
01-31-2022, 10:30 PM
Hey, I just got my hog hunter in 300 win mag. the magazine does not sit flush, Is this common on these Rifles? When cycling the rounds through it will cycle the first 2 rounds but the bolt will not catch the the last round, Is this an issue anyone else has had? I contacted savage and they are sending me another magazine but I don't think that will fix the issue, I hope it does. The rifle seems pretty slick but I have yet to shoot it as I am getting the scope rings tomorrow. Probably shoot this weekend!

Also, Would anyone be interested in possible trigger guard out of aluminum and hopefully good mags that can take a 300 prc? I am thinking about making one. I may eventually convert this rifle to a 300 PRC.

E6Chevron
04-30-2022, 12:54 AM
What brand magazines are you having this problem with?

Turkeytider
05-03-2022, 04:05 PM
Just based on my personal experiences with my Savage 110 in .223 and 93R17 17HMR and what I`ve read concerning the experiences of others, Savage makes good shooting rifles. Magazines....not so much. If someone ever came out with aftermarket magazines that fit Savage rifles, they could retire early!

efm77
05-03-2022, 04:40 PM
The overall length of the 300PRC is a fair bit longer than the 300 win mag. You may want to measure the magazine opening in the bottom of the receiver to see if it's long enough for the PRC round to clear it. I believe Savage cuts the mag cutout longer on the receivers that they make for those longer rounds, which also makes the bottom lug abutment thinner.

Stumpkiller
05-03-2022, 08:18 PM
Just based on my personal experiences with my Savage 110 in .223 and 93R17 17HMR and what I`ve read concerning the experiences of others, Savage makes good shooting rifles. Magazines....not so much. If someone ever came out with aftermarket magazines that fit Savage rifles, they could retire early!

www.Snydermags.com

He uses surplus G3 magazines (military HK 91) with a collar.

shoots100
05-04-2022, 10:24 AM
www.Snydermags.com (http://www.Snydermags.com)

He uses surplus G3 magazines (military HK 91) with a collar.
Their all out of stock, must've retired early !

AlexV4RR
05-05-2022, 02:19 PM
The overall length of the 300PRC is a fair bit longer than the 300 win mag. You may want to measure the magazine opening in the bottom of the receiver to see if it's long enough for the PRC round to clear it. I believe Savage cuts the mag cutout longer on the receivers that they make for those longer rounds, which also makes the bottom lug abutment thinner.

I tried to make the accurate mag bottom metal kit work with it. Unfortunately there is a lot of little changes so i didnt like it. The both length was increase 0.100" so I machined that but then when fully installed the magazine was setting up to high. So I ground down the mag release top so it would sit lower. That worked but the mag was sloppy up and down when the bolt was out. I just didnt like it. And my 300win mag is shooting between .3-.75 in groups at 100yd with hand loads. So Im not changing from 300win. I may eventually go to a proof barrel but maybe not.

AlexV4RR
05-09-2022, 06:52 PM
it was the factory ones

efm77
05-09-2022, 07:09 PM
That may be wise to stick with the win mag. The PRC is cool, but you have to shoot really long distances to really see the advantage to it. Out to 500 yards, there’s little discernible difference between the two. The biggest advantage to the PRC is it being made to fit in a magnum length magazine where those long heavy bullets can be seated out far enough to not eat up powder space.

AlexV4RR
05-09-2022, 07:32 PM
That may be wise to stick with the win mag. The PRC is cool, but you have to shoot really long distances to really see the advantage to it. Out to 500 yards, there’s little discernible difference between the two. The biggest advantage to the PRC is it being made to fit in a magnum length magazine where those long heavy bullets can be seated out far enough to not eat up powder space.

Ya, I am sticking with it because with handloads I am getting .3-.75 inch groups at 100. The major issue was that the bolt was not catching the case. I ended up machining the rear of the magazine bottom and crimping mag hook more to let it go up more and that has fixed it.