PDA

View Full Version : Barrel length

ironheadmike81
11-27-2010, 01:15 AM
optimum length for a .243 barrel in 1 in 8 twist?

is the answer affected by rifling style?

or the material the barrel is made of, or treated with?

GaCop
11-27-2010, 05:57 AM
Material made of or rifling type doesn't have much effect, if any. What will the rifle be used for? Is it a sporter or a bench gun? Bench rest rigs usually have a barrel in the 24 to 28" range. Sporters 20" to 22".

McKinneyMike
11-27-2010, 10:04 AM
Depends upon uses. For me a 28" 8 twist would be the choice, but I don't carry far or do much offhand shooting. A 243 is a great LR cartridge and that is what I would build it for myself. If I wanted a short range cartridge (300 yds or less) I would choose another round, but that is just me. Define the main use and then you can decide what works best for you.

tammons
11-27-2010, 10:38 AM
Depends.

for me for hunting I would say 20"or so.

For target only - 26"

82boy
11-27-2010, 12:34 PM
All you have to do is look in the FAQs section.
This is what Sharp shooters supply recamends.
http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,508.0.html

Fred has spent many hours playing with barrel lengths to achieve what in his opinion is optimal. Very few people have done what Fred has done. Most times when experiments are done on barrel length, the experimenter just picks one load and cuts the barrel down until they figure out what works best for that load. Fred on the other hand has experimented with many different powders, bullets, and charge weight when he has cut down barrels. Fred looks at everything with a scientific approach. You will find in Fred's list majority of barrels fall in the 24-26 inch range. From my talks with Randy Robinette (BIB Bullets.) his findings are very similar. Randy (AKA known as the ballistic idiot, do to his vast knowledge on the subject.) is another person that has spent many hours playing with barrel lengths, and has made changes to powder, bullets ,and charge weights.