PDA

View Full Version : AccuFit stock recoil lug recess too narrow - what gives?

jeffpatton00
01-29-2022, 12:02 AM
I'm mounting a Savage 110 tactical short action and a 1" Shilen barrel to a Savage AccuFit stock, and the recoil lug recess in the stock is too narrow (0.174") to allow me to use the recoil lug which came with the barrel, which measures 0.244". I've looked at the many lugs available on the Pacific Tool & Gauge site, and the thinnest lug they offer is 0.187", going up to .5", but nothing in the thickness of the recoil lug slot in the stock, so this suggests that the 0.174" dimension is not a standard one.

My question is, why would Savage build a stock for which recoil lugs are not available? Or, if they are available, where would I find one that fits this stock?

I could try to mill my existing lug down to the proper thickness, but holding it immobile on the mill table is a challenge, and because it's stainless of an unknown alloy, I risk work-hardening the material and wrecking the lug. Alternatively, I could try to mill a larger slot in the stock, but since the forend of the stock is tapered, it'd be difficult to set it up so the slot is true to the mill table.

It'd be a lot easier to buy a recoil lug that fits. Can anyone suggest where I might find one? thx
Jeff

gkainz
01-29-2022, 12:23 AM
I bought an accustock specific lug for the last barrel I dropped in. Not only is the accustock slot thinner, the sides are more squared up.

I ordered one from MidwayUSA.

https://www.midwayusa.com/s?searchTerm=819939

Greg

Dave Hoback
01-29-2022, 01:47 AM
There is no fear of “Work hardening” by milling the lug. Go slow & use machine oil. Or water if it’s set up. And opening opening up the slot would be equally easy to do.

But yes, you can just get a new one.

charlie b
01-29-2022, 09:34 AM
The real question is, why would Savage change the dimensions on such a part? Just frustrates a lot of people for no good reason.

Robinhood
01-29-2022, 01:42 PM
Flat recoil lugs are good as is a flat a perpendicular surface of the action and barrel nut. Factory recoil lugs are not flat. Milling your lug will result in something relatively flat if you use a fly cutter and tram your head in close. Grinding is the ultimate if you have the right setup. I like flat.

Dave Hoback
01-29-2022, 01:53 PM
Absolutely Robin! A surface grinder IS the ultimate. Like the SGA that Travis Wuertz designed..... And I figured out HOW to build his design on the CHEAP! (For home Knifemakers like myself) This gets 10” knives to within .0015”-.002”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPmObPiEtjo

Robinhood
01-29-2022, 05:06 PM
That is pretty nice there dave. I have grown to like the 18 inch Blanchard we have at work. I can get a really good finish with the non segmented wheel and can hold a true .0001" flatness or even better. On Thrust discs up to 8". Stainless is tough due to the magnetic work holding but a little experience and it is doable.

When I first found how tapered and imperfect the factory recoil lugs were I would grind the lugs down to about 90% clean up on either side and drill for a locating pin. That started the Savage accuracy journey for me.

gkainz
01-29-2022, 05:49 PM
The accustock lug I bought doesn’t have the nub or protrusion that keys into the slot on the receiver. Thoughts on using as-is or welding and grinding a bump to fit?

Dave Hoback
01-29-2022, 06:03 PM
Oh Don’t get me wrong Robin, the Surface Grinder Attacments(SGA’s), we knifemakers build, are NOT in the same league as a Blanchard! No way! I seen those hold in the .0005” & under range. The SGA won’t get close. But that level isn’t needed for most things.

jeffpatton00
01-30-2022, 11:01 PM
Thx, Greg, this would be easier than trying to mill my existing lug, appreciate the recommendation. Do you know the diameter of the barrel hole? My barrel is 1.0". thx

gkainz
01-30-2022, 11:55 PM
My lug measures 1.058 ID. Fits on a EABCO Accuracy barrel sku 127-SV22250

https://www.eabco.net/EABCO-Accuracy-Barrel-fits-Savage-10110-and-Axis-22-250-Rem-112-Blue_p_15619.html

Robinhood
01-31-2022, 12:31 AM
Thx, Greg, this would be easier than trying to mill my existing lug, appreciate the recommendation. Do you know the diameter of the barrel hole? My barrel is 1.0". thx

Houston, We have a problem. Measuring over the threads you should get 1.055" + .002"/-.000". Which is probably what you have. :)