PDA

View Full Version : Trigger for a model 12?

Pages : [1] 2

TommyD11730
01-25-2022, 03:19 PM
Just wondering what people are using for triggers? Had a Timny, didn't like it. Guess I'm spoiled by the 2 stage TriggerTek in my 700

Dave Hoback
01-25-2022, 03:39 PM
If you have an Accutrigger, send it to me to set up. I do trigger jobs at NO CHARGE for members. Although not identical to your 700 trigger(I agree. I love Target TRUE 2-stage), when I am finished with an Accutrigger, it is super nice and has the “feel” of a 2-stage, as you are able to depress & sit on the blade depressed, then just a small amount more trips the sear. I really like mine more than the other triggers for Savage.

Oh, and if you have a 3-screw...I do those as well. I just finished one for a member here and sending it back to him this week. Perfectly flat prepared & 6K grit polished trigger/sear surfaces, Titanium side play washers, and I make a new trigger spring with .043”.045” spring tempered wire. They come out pretty darn nice as well.

Heres one of those 3-screw springs I make. This is .045” Spring Wire. This one is going with the trigger I just completed.

https://i.ibb.co/SKZkqqP/A58988-FD-23-BD-4240-976-E-31-CEFEBA3-F3-C.jpg (https://ibb.co/ZhbQyyV)

Iowa Fox
01-25-2022, 06:37 PM
Dave, Do you mind if I ask a trade secret? How are you putting the radius bend in the spring wire?

Dave Hoback
01-25-2022, 08:09 PM
I trap it in vice between two thin pieces that of steel, and leave just a little extra wire beside the bit longer length to bend the leg. I then use a pair of needle nose pliers to start the bend, and finish by tapping it with a hammer. Doesn’t take much. Just the weight of a standard hammer bends it to a 90 degree radius in a controlled manner. Also, I leave the piece of steel facing the back of wire longer. So it supports the wire as I’m trapping it.

Blue Avenger
01-25-2022, 10:11 PM
https://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?70029-Trigger-comparisons

Dave Hoback
01-26-2022, 01:31 PM
Dave, Do you mind if I ask a trade secret? How are you putting the radius bend in the spring wire?

Hey Iowa Fox, I was trying to PM you but your inbox is full.

indianasavage
01-27-2022, 07:33 AM
I run a Rifle Basix SAV2 in my Savage 12FV action. Installation requires a fair amount of patience and some mechanical aptitude. You keep the factory sear with the SAV2. I got mine safely down to 8-10 oz., which was my goal.

Dave Hoback
01-27-2022, 10:55 AM
Which? 8, or 10oz? Or do mean sometimes it releases at 8oz & sometimes at 10oz? OOOOr, do you sometimes set it to 8oz, and then raise it to 10oz other times? Oh, oh..wait... maybe you pull HIGHER on the trigger bow, which is 10oz then pull lower on the trigger bow, increasing leverage, thus decreasing it to perhaps 8oz? Do you have a calibrated Index Finger? :eagerness:

Im just kidding ya. Seriously, yeah the SAV2 is a great piece. It’s a favorite among many here.

Dave Hoback
01-27-2022, 10:55 AM
duplicate

pdshooter2
01-27-2022, 06:03 PM
i suggest you go back to a timney.
what i have seen of the savage stock and low dollar after market sucks.

Dave Hoback
01-27-2022, 07:08 PM
What “low cost” triggers that SUCK, are you referring to? The Timney & RF SAV-1 are fairly close in price. The SAV2 is more expensive than either. There is the Elf Tactical which is in between the Timney & Sav-2 in price. And finally, the Jard. Which is the ONLY one of the bunch which includes a NEW Billet steel Sear/Bolt Release. Pretty cool! But it is quite expensive. Well, not as much as many others for other rifles.

But that’s it! That’s our choices. None are worth it to me as I can bring a stock Accutrigger or 3-screw to close to the aftermarket feel/potential. Most of us simply don’t need the ridiculous single digit ounce weight we “hear” about. Funny thing... go look online at videos of competition shooters. MOST of them have trigger weights closer to 1lb or so, go fig. I think almost all shooters WANT an incredibly light trigger in the single digit ounce ratings, because THATS what they read about online. Yet I doubt most shooters have felt even a 1lb trigger setup with with NO creep, NO grit & NO overtravel; so that it’s break is that of an ice cycle against the railing lining the steps outside one’s house. (We all know what that feels like)

I say these things because I’ve had people before who thought they knew what a nice trigger felt like(1911 triggers mostly). And then their expression as they try the trigger I set up on my firearms. Priceless.

GrenGuy
01-28-2022, 10:35 AM
So Dave, what is Your opinion and review of the latest Jard trigger (10/110)? It replaces the original Savage sear, so its got to be the end all in Savage replacement triggers, right? I have both the old Jard and the latest. Your opinion please.

Dave Hoback
01-28-2022, 10:46 AM
I don’t have hands on with the Savage Jard. But Jard triggers I’ve felt were all very high quality. I’ve spoken highly of the Jard for Savage. And I DO appreciate the added Sear. I’ve said before, it’s beyond me why they are the only ones including a new Sear. Jard uses high quality steel and is machined & finished nicely. To be honest, the difference between the SAV2 & the Jard is maybe $60. I can tell you, if my Accutrigger parts ever wear out & I can no longer find replacements, I’ll be getting a Jard myself.

GrenGuy
01-28-2022, 11:35 AM
So when that happens, will You be content with 3/32” of creep before the trigger breaks? Without personal experience, You are relying on Marketing and the Theory that replacing the sear is the absolute solution.

Dave Hoback
01-28-2022, 12:18 PM
No, you misunderstand what I’m saying. REMEMBER.. I CHOOSE to use the Accutrigges that I work over. My point of the Sear is that the Stock unit is a cheap, STAMPED piece of garbage steel which is only surface hardened, vs aftermarket Sears, such as the Jard, being THROUGH hardened. When preparing these surfaces, need not worry about blowing through the very thin hardened surface into the “mushy” steel underneath. These are things I learned mostly from preparing 1911 triggers.

Im sorry. I thought your question was being sincere. Didn’t know your intent was an “GOTCHYA” agenda. From my experience, and research, people who have trouble with a particular trigger is due to them not understanding setup fully. And perhaps over estimating their knowledge. Just what I’ve found. Again, both from pure I intellectual research(reading articles, Forums), to my own hands on experience. Helping others set up their pistol/rifle triggers and fixing those which people already “modified” with their Dremel.

GrenGuy
01-28-2022, 12:42 PM
My intent is sincere and there is no gotcha to it. Those who get it, get it. I could fill a page with My experiences with Savage triggers, but it would all be a repeat of information that has been discussed many times on this site. I am taking steps to upgrade beyond Savage for a more suitable platform for competition.

Over and Out on this one.

Dave Hoback
01-28-2022, 01:42 PM
Uhh, ok. You are free to check out whenever. Those of us “Beneath You” certainly aren’t begging you to stay Gren.
Have a great time doing whatever. I’ll continue with enjoying my Savages & we’ll both be happy.

Fuj'
01-29-2022, 07:14 AM
Rumor mill has it that "Trigger Tech" may be working on a Savage trigger.
Trigger Tech has it's own means of tripping. It does not use sliding off the
cliff sears as all other triggers use......As for Jard ?? I sent mine back, and
told them not to send a replacement.

Dave Hoback
01-29-2022, 09:33 AM
TriggerTech makes a nice trigger. Their little gimmick is just that though. They claim to have ZERO friction. The way they work is actually using a roller pin between the Sear & Trigger surfaces. So the two surfaces “Roll” in an arching motion instead of sliding off one another. Well, even this ROLLING function in the TriggerTech has friction. But it is nice. They are very popular with many AR enthusiasts. As for eliminating creep? Well, most properly set up triggers have negligible creep. My worked Accutrigger doesn’t even have any that your finger can really feel. In 2015 over 50% of top shooters were using Jewell. Today, over 40% are using TriggerTech. Did TriggerTech somehow get so much better I that time? Or did their marketing? People love NEW, SHINY things. (One reason I don’t buy things according to what “the pros” are using. I research & judge for myself)

It would be nice to see a TriggerTech for Savage though. Provided they include the WHOLE system... Trigger AND Sear! If they just release a fancy trigger trigger assembly and use the stock Sear. No thank you!

varget204
01-29-2022, 07:17 PM
If one want's a Light weight trigger, for Top bolt release rifles a Rifle Basic II trigger, if Bottom Bolt Release, a Jard Trigger Assembly, Do not know of any other Light triggers ; for Bottom bolt release. SSS No longer makes Competition triggers