PDA

View Full Version : savage 110 L-D

don w
01-24-2022, 10:06 PM
Howdy can ya help me out with the date of my 3006 110l-d pel ,its a beautiful gun ,& i finneally got one ,also were they engraved in germany or japan from what i hear thanks everyone

J.Baker
01-26-2022, 03:18 AM
If it's engraved, it's a Model 110 PEL (presentation, engraved, lefty). They were made from 1966-1969, and less than 500 combined (LH and RH) were made, of which fewer than 100 were likely LH models. The receiver, bolt handle, rear baffle, barrel nut, trigger guard and metal bottom plate should all be engraved and nickel plated, and the Monte Carlo stock should have an aluminum buttplate and be stamped "Sile of Italy" in the barrel channel if it's the original one. Often the serial # on the receivers will date to an earlier year as the engraved bits were manufactured, shipped overseas for engraving, then shipped back. On the 110 PEL I used to have the serial number dated to 1962 but the date stamp on the barrel indicated 1966.

From what Bob Greenleaf told me (he was an engineer at Savage from 1962-1988), only the first batch or two were engraved in Germany. Turn around time with the German's was taking too long so Savage switched to having the engraving done in Japan. The images and patterns are the same, but the engraving on the ones done in Germany were deeper and more detailed than those done in Japan.

Dave Hoback
01-26-2022, 05:31 AM
That is some cool stuff...very cool!