PDA

View Full Version : Model 10 DBM questions

kwarw1
01-22-2022, 01:05 PM
Hey guys been a while since I have posted.I've been bitten by the Savage build bug AGAIN!

I've searched till I and blue in the face, so here is the question: I know there are different screw spacings and thus I am assuming different bottom metal.Is this the case? Didthe 4.27" type use different Metal? Inletting?

I have the 4.4" with the AICS Mag set-up. It's supposed to drop right in 4.4" spacing inletting!

Been looking at stocks at Numerich and they make it a guessing game on screw spacing. I would like to get it right the First time.In paticular I am looking at the nice wood stocks of the 14 and 14 Classic. I may not use the AICS metal if it looks goofy and just go with the factory METAL metal premium mag set-up.

My second question is the barrel I have chosen is a varmint type and I believe the 14's stock channel is sporter. Is there enough meat there to open that up?

Thanks in advance.

Robinhood
01-22-2022, 05:55 PM
There is some good information in the faq section Jim has set up. Basically the 4.27 anything is not what you are after. Everything regarding the magazine is different between the 2 different action screw spacing. The 4.27 magazines are stagger feed with the blind mag attached to the action. Both the blind and dbm parts are hens teeth. The 4.40 is the centerfeed with the blind magazine either attached to the stock or a frame and plate designed speifically for that scew spacing. The inletting options for the factory bottom metal are generaly the most widely available.

Boyds is another option for wood or laminate stocks where you can get the barrel channel you desire depending on the model.

kwarw1
01-22-2022, 06:19 PM
Thanks,
I was just coming back to answer my own question,I think! I found an old thread here with pics of the bottom metal. It appears there is only 1 type for the detach mag. TOP BOLT RELEASE .I forgot to say that. The holes appear to be elongated.

So new question: is the hinged floor plate and detach mag IMPRINT the same? From what I understand it is.Am I correct?

Dave Hoback
01-22-2022, 06:48 PM
What Robin said. :(:p

kwarw1
01-22-2022, 07:35 PM
There is some good information in the faq section Jim has set up. Basically the 4.27 anything is not what you are after. Everything regarding the magazine is different between the 2 different action screw spacing. The 4.27 magazines are stagger feed with the blind mag attached to the action. Both the blind and dbm parts are hens teeth. The 4.40 is the centerfeed with the blind magazine either attached to the stock or a frame and plate designed speifically for that scew spacing. The inletting options for the factory bottom metal are generaly the most widely available.

Boyds is another option for wood or laminate stocks where you can get the barrel channel you desire depending on the model.

Thanks for your reply Robinhood, Dave not so much!

I know I need a 4.4"spacing stock. FACT:

3 examples of what I am looking at.Are they 4.4"or 4.27" ? How would a mere mortal like me know? Not trying to be smart but I know what I don't want! I"m trying to figure out which one I DO want with the 4.4" spacing. They use term's like for flat bottom metal, Old style,etc.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1476680

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1837900

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1366590

This is an example I have many more, I want a factory issue stock and have got several nice ones from them before for long actions, this is my first foray at short actions!

Thanks again Kwarw1

kwarw1
01-22-2022, 07:52 PM
The reason I want ONLY Savage is.Like I don't put Ford parts on my Chevy,ETC.
I USED to be a Remington guy.

Boy was I surprised when I got my first flat back 112 22/250 single shot 26" fluted in tupperware!
I'll keep it all factory stuff and am proud to tell how I learned about Savage.
I preach it so i live it and I love my Savage's.

Dave Hoback
01-22-2022, 07:58 PM
Wow... I was seconding what Robin said. Robin pretty much hit the nail on the head. I would have about mirrored what he said had I answered first. Many threads I do. You might want to take a look. I’m among the voices here. But if you rather I not reply to your threads, no problem. Take it easy friendly.

kwarw1
01-22-2022, 08:09 PM
No disrespect you have helped me before just like Robinhood.I have love for all! That's why I come here!

Please take a look at the links! I Know I do not want the 4.27 stuff!

I made that very clear in post # 5

Full Chisel
01-22-2022, 09:44 PM
Not to be a butt, but the last two links specifically say they are for 4.4" screw spacing. Right there in the details.

kwarw1
01-23-2022, 12:10 AM
No you are correct!

I posted in haste from bookmarks I had made that are ones I am SURE will work on spacing.

There are no less than 1357 results in the search that I filtered through.
There are 100's that may work and good quality as well that appear to be correct but who knows?

One thing for sure if you want to pretty up your short action you can't go wrong at this price!

But you are correct I should have titled the thread Modeled 10 and Numerich woes

Thanks