PDA

View Full Version : Converting an Axis to 7.62x39

Newtosavage
01-21-2022, 10:14 AM
I'm interested in converting my Axis (std. bolt face) to 7.62x39. I've owned two Savage scouts in that caliber, and never should have sold them. I bought my stainless Axis as a test platform for various barrels, but occasionally I'd like to set it up for hunting pigs, and in my experience there aren't many things better for that than a 7.62x39 with extra magazines.

With the 10/110 I know the conversion is pretty simple. Bolt head + baffle + 7.62x39 magazine (or .223 mag with feed lip adjustments). But I'm not as familiar with the Axis bolt.

Can anyone offer some advice? Thanks.

Dave Hoback
01-22-2022, 08:07 AM
It’s equally the same for the Axis. New barrel first. Your standard bolt head “may” work, but best to grab the specific bolt head for 7.62x39. The 110 & Axis share the same bolt head. Gun shack sells them. https://www.gunshack.com/savage-parts/savage-bolt-head/savage-7.62x39-bolt-head-right-hand 7.62x39 should work in a 308 magazine, but may have problems racking bolt as high speed.

Newtosavage
01-22-2022, 10:09 AM
It’s equally the same for the Axis. New barrel first. Your standard bolt head “may” work, but best to grab the specific bolt head for 7.62x39. The 110 & Axis share the same bolt head. Gun shack sells them. https://www.gunshack.com/savage-parts/savage-bolt-head/savage-7.62x39-bolt-head-right-hand 7.62x39 should work in a 308 magazine, but may have problems racking bolt as high speed.

Thanks Dave. That really was my main question - whether the bolt heads were the same. I noticed somewhere that the extended baffle for use with the shorter cartridges was listed as "not for Axis" and that made me wonder about the bolt head too. Or is that misrepresented? I'd like to add the extended baffle to limit the bolt stroke.

My plan would be to get a 10-round .223 mag and see if I can make that work. There have been many times that 4-5 rounds just wasn't enough when I was presented with a sounder of 20-30 pigs.

prdatr
01-22-2022, 12:03 PM
I think the 7.62x39 would make a good pig round especially that having low recoil would make for a quick followup shot.

Newtosavage
01-22-2022, 12:04 PM
I think the 7.62x39 would make a good pig round especially that having low recoil would make for a quick followup shot.

Best I've found, and I've killed close to 1k pigs now.

Newtosavage
01-22-2022, 01:52 PM
I figured it out. The model 10/110 baffle has a ridge on it where it slides into the action. The Axis baffle does not. Guess I could always Dremel off that ridge but it would be nice to find an extended baffle intended for an Axis. The Axis comes in 7.62x39 in other countries (aus/can) so I know they make it. Just need to find one now.

Dave Hoback
01-22-2022, 10:18 PM
Doesn’t look like the the Axis uses an extended front baffle.

prdatr
01-23-2022, 12:28 PM
Best I've found, and I've killed close to 1k pigs now.

I took my son to hunt them for his 30th birthday a couple of years ago. We don't have them here in AZ and it was something he has wanted to do for a while. We hunted with a guide who guides as a hobby near Hubbard.
He provided AR-10's with Pulsar scopes and we did spot and stalk at night and had a really fun time.

Newtosavage
01-23-2022, 11:32 PM
Doesn’t look like the the Axis uses an extended front baffle.

You mean the Axis 7.62x39 doesn't? I suppose there's no harm in long-stroking the short round, but if I build this I'll get the 110 extended baffle and just trim the guide off. When the pigs are busting like quail, it's nice to have a quick cycling rifle.

Dave Hoback
01-24-2022, 05:01 PM
You mean the Axis 7.62x39 doesn't? I suppose there's no harm in long-stroking the short round, but if I build this I'll get the 110 extended baffle and just trim the guide off. When the pigs are busting like quail, it's nice to have a quick cycling rifle.

I don’t have one, but from videos & picture I’ve seen of the Axis Bolt in 223, I don’t see an extended baffle. I could be wrong, but it kinda looks like the Axis Bolt Housing is shorter than the 110 SA housing. Again, don’t have an Axis, so if someone with both happens to peruse the thread, perhaps they could verify.

You are correct. Even being longer, it won’t hurt anything. Just as I said earlier, you won’t be racking the bolt with competition speed & authority. Likely to jam that way. But a smooth consistent bolt actuation and I doubt it would have any problems.

Newtosavage
01-24-2022, 07:49 PM
I don’t have one, but from videos & picture I’ve seen of the Axis Bolt in 223, I don’t see an extended baffle. I could be wrong, but it kinda looks like the Axis Bolt Housing is shorter than the 110 SA housing. Again, don’t have an Axis, so if someone with both happens to peruse the thread, perhaps they could verify.

You are correct. Even being longer, it won’t hurt anything. Just as I said earlier, you won’t be racking the bolt with competition speed & authority. Likely to jam that way. But a smooth consistent bolt actuation and I doubt it would have any problems.

Actually, in my experience, one advantage of the extended baffle is that you DON'T rack the bolt quite as hard, and the rounds feed smoother. That extra stroke let's you gain a bit of momentum that is counterproductive in a short round like the 7.62x39. So the baffle serves double duty really.

If and when I do this, I'll get an extended 10/110 baffle and cut off the lip and try it out. Can't hurt to try it.

igor
03-06-2022, 09:58 AM
Eeesh.... coming in way late but I gotta mention this - unless you have tons of x39 ammo or components, I'd seriously consider .300 blackout instead.

I've lusted after a x39 bolt gun for years, finally got a Howa mini in the caliber (oh so nice) last year. Then the ban on new Russian imports of ammo was announced. While there is still a year and a half or so's worth of permits already approved, the end is nigh on the cheap ammo. So I started looking at reloading components, and while I've got enough powder for another 1200 rounds (have a few cases of steel stuff to feed an AR upper in the caliber, and 500 or so brass reloadable cases) and I have plenty of small rifle primers, the x39 almost always uses large rifle primers (Hornady makes brass that uses SRPs but it has been OOS for a while...). Also, true .310 diameter bullets are scarce on the ground right now. And hey, while there is plenty of data for a few powders on 123gr bullets, and occasionally some 150gr or 110gr bullets, that is about it.

So my current itch for a new rifle is about to be scratched by a Savage Axis II in .300 blackout. 125gr bullets match the 123gr x39 loads ballistically. But .308 diameter bullets are available and plentiful in various weights from 110gr up to 220+gr, there is loading data available with many more powders and with more variations on bullet weights. Uses a "standard" bolt face size. Larger variation in factory offerings as far as bullet weights and styles.