PDA

View Full Version : Wondering if anyone has used the US Optics TS-20?

Dave Hoback
01-19-2022, 01:21 PM
Just like it says? Anyone tried one yet? I’ve read & watched the reviews online. It was $1400-$1500 when first released in 2019, now can be had for $900-$1000. Seems like a lot of scope for that amount! It’s 2.5-20x50, but has a 34mm tube. And the 8x mag ratio seems CRAZY for this price level, but all the reviews are showing it does. So, I don’t know. There is question as to where these are made, but I really can’t see it being China. It’s only 14.6” long! This is NOT how China makes scopes because it’s MUCH more difficult to focus light through the shorter length (or sharper angle rather), objective. Look at the difference between the Athlon Ares ETR & Cronus. The Cronus is also about 14.5” & has the shorter, more obtuse objective angle, BECAUSE it’s Japanese made.

I’m looking at both. And yes...., I KNOW the Cronus is better, but is it $500 better, FOR ME? Just haven’t seen anyone here with one.

Txhillbilly
01-20-2022, 04:31 AM
Dave, From everything that I've read and been told, the TS series is a made in China product. The Foundation series is made here in the USA.
US Optics have had their up's and down's over the years, I don't know of anyone that is still using their scopes.

Dave Hoback
01-20-2022, 06:05 AM
I was waiting for you to chime TX, LOL! Yeah, I’m reading that too. But I’m gonna be honest, the things that certain people don’t like or “deal breakers” if you will, just aren’t things that bother. Me. For. Instance, the Zero Stop, which is actually a Rev Limiter. That was a MAJOR deal breaker for most to not even try it. As well as the turrets not have it a revelation counter. And lastly, locking turrets. Those were the things that primarily turned people off. And. Those simply aren’t big deals to me. Thing is, I’m not a competitor. I don’t even get to shoot all that much because I can no longer drive. When I do, I shoot for my own enjoyment. Is I searched & searched...and the resounding number of reviews were that the TS-20’s had brilliant clarity. And that really is MOST important to me. The other thing is price. The Cronus is the other scope with the features I would want. But I do prefer 50mm over 56mm. That’s just me. And it really is more than I want to spend for what I need. The thing I keep coming back to is this scope is made like LOW makes scopes. It’s short, uses very clear ED glass, and the more obtuse angle of the windage bell, are ALL traits of scopes made by LOW. Now, I do know China can make things to ANY spec. So, if it it is made in there, it was made to US Optics specs. I know the public is split on US Optics. I happen to be one that likes them as a company and their products. Also, I’m not finding much in the way of failure. Poorboy has a good review on the Hide, and said in 2020 he was liking it more & more with use. He also said his was banged around rather harshly and put through the paces, it continued to track well. Like you TX, he seems to be a bit of a (excuse this), scope snob well. That’s not a bad thing. I enjoy the reviews, honest reviews, from scope snobs. Tibasouracerex on YouTube I’ve followed for many years. And I trust his opinion on many things. He is the reason I went with a Mirage URL chassis. Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone here was using one. Doesn’t appear so.

Txhillbilly
01-20-2022, 02:31 PM
I didn't mean that everything from China is bad / cheaply made. They will produce whatever you are willing to pay them to.
The Athlon Ares ETR is also made in China. It is a very good scope. The 3-18x50 version is only 14.2" long.

https://cameralandny.com/shop/brands/athlon-optics/athlon-optics-ares-etr-3-18x50-aprs6-ffp-ir-mil-uhd-212106/23656310-2254-0139-6d8d-00163ecd2826?variation=2891653

Dave Hoback
01-20-2022, 07:58 PM
I apologize TX. I certainly wasn’t implying you WERE saying that. I’m sorry if it sounded like that. Trust me, I am fully aware of your scope knowledge. Yes, the 50mm ETR is similar. Even close in price. But 20x is my cut off. And I like taking the the bridge less traveled. I was also looking at the Meopta Optika 6 5-30x56. But something about it just isn’t drawing me in. I know know.

I have a close friend who is also a scope connoisseur. He uses a PMII most, but has a plethora of all different glass. He’s familiar with both the US Optics TS20, and Athlon Cronus. To him, he would have taken the USO over the Cronus in a heartbeat. That’s the thing..., Glass is just really a difference of opinion. Our eyes are different, and because of this, we have different preferences in clarity.

Txhillbilly
01-24-2022, 12:46 PM
Dave, There's one for sale on Long Range Hunting forum.
He's asking $800 for it.

Dave Hoback
01-24-2022, 03:22 PM
Lol, I’ve actually talked to Poorboy on Snipershide as well. He offered to sell me his for $800. He like you with Glass TX. He told me it’s a a good scope, but of course the Cronus is better to a “certain dollar amount” as he put it. He told me the Cronus & the TS-20 are the two WORST scopes he owns. LOL!! A $1K & a $1.5K scope being the WORST a person owns?? Just crazy to me. But I get it. No doubt, my dream Glass is an IOR Valdada 4-28x50. But simply LIGHT YEARS out the of my budget. Honestly, I simply couldn’t bring myself to spend that even if I had it. Not for the shooting (rather, the LACK there of), that do. Smellin’ what I’m steppin’ in broheim?

I do appreciate it TX. Thank you. Your optics knowledge & advice as well. I really appreciate it.