PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 PRC thoughts on a model 10?

Yotatrd4x4
01-19-2022, 01:07 PM
I picked up a model 10 action, hogue aluminum bed stock and a new x caliber 6.5 PRC barrel. Anyhow I have had several savage rifles and while I prefer a remington 700 or model 7 I like how easy it is to change barrels myself.

With all that said action was a 300wsm so no issues with the large shank barrel but after waiting nearly a year for the barrel I am hesitant to run it or just try and trade for another large shank wsm barrel?

What are yalls thoughts? The contour is what x caliber calls a #13 Hunter, its a varmint contour if you ask me little over an inch at chamber with straight taper to .750 at muzzle 22 inches. It would probably be a fantastic setup for target shooting but it was meant to be a hunting rig.

Dave Hoback
01-19-2022, 08:33 PM
I don’t get it?? You ordered a 6.5prc barrel, & waited a year for it. But now you don’t want to run it & rather trade for a 300wsm? Uh, why?

Yotatrd4x4
01-20-2022, 09:51 AM
More or less after waiting so long for the barrel and now seeing brass is always backorder and out of stock but also factory ammo is $75 plus a box maybe it was a bad idea. Im a reloader so I know if I can get my hands on some brass it will last for years with the volume I shoot.

My main ask i guess would be who has used thec6.5 prc on game and how does it perform for you?

Yotatrd4x4
01-20-2022, 01:57 PM
Really I am torn. The 6.5 PRC looks great on paper and my 6.5 Creedmoor is a great hunting rifle. I suppose I am having buyers remorse due to not having brass available for the caliber and seeing prices go up into the $70 range for 20 rounds i am thinking maybe I should have stayed with a more common caliber? I had my model 7 in 300saum reamed to 300wsm for the same reason.

Dave Hoback
01-20-2022, 10:32 PM
The 6.5prc will down anything in N. America. Remember, Europe was was using 6.5mm in the early 1900’s. It’s only the US that has has a fixation with 30cal, 338cal & bigger in mag magnum cartridges. Shot placement still reigns supreme.

charlie b
01-20-2022, 10:34 PM
Don't sweat it. Just wait and think about it. Do some research about other calibers and see if you still want to go that way. You could always go with the .270 or 7 WSM or some other caliber.

J.Baker
01-20-2022, 11:01 PM
Could always pick up a take-off barrel in a common caliber you have ammo/components for to get some use out of the action and stock until you can score some PRC brass. Options are more limited being a large shank though.

deadduck357
01-21-2022, 12:35 AM
Just scored 4 boxes of Hornady from Academy three days ago for $49 a box. Got me enough cases for a while now. The manufacturers do need to crank more out.

Yotatrd4x4
01-21-2022, 01:26 AM
Thanks for the replies. I dont honestly need to use the action right away. I have 4 other bolt guns with a ton of components for each. I guess after its all said and done if I wait I can hopefully score some brass or ammo cheaper if I keep searching.

I would agree large shank limits my options. I know a 270,7mm or 300wsm is more common but I liked the idea of 3006 recoil in a pretty flat and efficient cartridge.

wbm
01-21-2022, 08:20 AM
The 6.5prc will down anything in N. America.

+1

Dave Hoback
01-21-2022, 09:24 AM
Yes, remember we are in an ammo/component shortage as it is. Everything is difficult to get. But with some patience, you’ll find what you need.

Yotatrd4x4
01-21-2022, 10:39 AM
Dave, I get that we are in a shortage. I saw this same thing when I was in Alaska and Obama got elected. I am on a good bit of forums and can get my hands on pretty much everything I need for my other firearms but this one I think makes me nervous with the lack of anything around Phoenix for 6.5 PRC at the moment.

My goal was to have a nice Caribou rifle from this setup. Its a little heavy but most caribou hunting is spot and stalk so I wouldn't be hiking that many miles with it on my shoulder. I love my 6.5 creedmoor mtn rifle so thats why I went towards the 6.5 PRC. More HP with light recoil still. I am itching to finish it but have to wait a bit on all of that. I need to convince myself its ok to leave it in pieces for now until I find all the other gear I need for it!

Dave Hoback
01-21-2022, 03:40 PM
I’m a BIG fan of 6.5mm as well. I use a 260 Remington. And next rebarrel, I’m doing the same but it’ll be 260 AI. (Should have done that from the beginning, but ehh.)