PDA

View Full Version : Axis II component weights - FYI

Newtosavage
01-13-2022, 04:57 PM
I just dove into the world of Axis for an inexpensive build I wanted to do. In the process, I figured I'd weigh each component and post that here in case anyone found it useful.

Original rifle - Axis II stainless XP (package with Bushnell Banner scope) in 6.5 Creedmoor (22" barrel).

Stock weight, with short action magazine - 1 lb. 11 oz.

Action weight - 1 lb. 15 oz.

Barrel weight (22" factory sporter contour) - 2 lbs. 8 oz.

The total package, as sold, was 6 lbs. 5 oz., so a few ounces under the "6.5 lbs" you see listed everywhere.

The scope, rings and bases came to 1 lb. 3 oz.

I've pulled the barrel and installed a 22" X-caliber featherweight stainless barrel chambered in .284 Win. That brought the bare rifle weight down to 6 lbs. 2 oz. With my weaver bases and rings + Weaver 6x38 scope the whole package now weighs 6 lbs. 15 oz. Just right for a mountain rifle in my experience.

I hope this helps someone.

prdatr
01-14-2022, 11:39 AM
I just dove into the world of Axis for an inexpensive build I wanted to do. In the process, I figured I'd weigh each component and post that here in case anyone found it useful.

Original rifle - Axis II stainless XP (package with Bushnell Banner scope) in 6.5 Creedmoor (22" barrel).

Stock weight, with short action magazine - 1 lb. 11 oz.

Action weight - 1 lb. 15 oz.

Barrel weight (22" factory sporter contour) - 2 lbs. 8 oz.

The total package, as sold, was 6 lbs. 5 oz., so a few ounces under the "6.5 lbs" you see listed everywhere.

The scope, rings and bases came to 1 lb. 3 oz.

I've pulled the barrel and installed a 22" X-caliber featherweight stainless barrel chambered in .284 Win. That brought the bare rifle weight down to 6 lbs. 2 oz. With my weaver bases and rings + Weaver 6x38 scope the whole package now weighs 6 lbs. 15 oz. Just right for a mountain rifle in my experience.

I hope this helps someone.

You can also send the bolt to LRI and have it fluted and use Talley Lightweight Rings and bases to shed a nit more weight.

Newtosavage
01-16-2022, 10:43 AM
You can also send the bolt to LRI and have it fluted and use Talley Lightweight Rings and bases to shed a nit more weight.

Roger that. I have Talleys on my 110 LWS. They are about an ounce lighter than the Weaver bases and rings I have on the Axis currently. I love the Talleys but I don't like having to remove the scope from the rings every time I swap barrels. So since this is my "test platform" I'm going to stick with the Weaver setup for now. Only two screws to loosen. If I ever settle on a barrel for that Axis, then I'll go with the Talleys.

Newtosavage
01-16-2022, 10:44 AM
Incidentally, I also have a stainless 22" .308 Axis barrel, and it's 2 lbs. 6 oz. on my scale. 2 oz. lighter than the 6.5 CM, due I'm sure to the larger bore.

prdatr
01-16-2022, 02:43 PM
Roger that. I have Talleys on my 110 LWS. They are about an ounce lighter than the Weaver bases and rings I have on the Axis currently. I love the Talleys but I don't like having to remove the scope from the rings every time I swap barrels. So since this is my "test platform" I'm going to stick with the Weaver setup for now. Only two screws to loosen. If I ever settle on a barrel for that Axis, then I'll go with the Talleys.

I think Chad charged me $65 to do the bolt back in 2017 and the turn around was about a week.

Newtosavage
01-17-2022, 05:58 PM
I think Chad charged me $65 to do the bolt back in 2017 and the turn around was about a week.

I have a fluted bolt on my 110 LW Storm. Honestly I don't think it makes that much difference. My Axis bolt is very smooth now. I don't think I'm going to mess with it but I do appreciate the info.

Spent some time at the range with the stainless Axis II and my 7mm-08 Shaw barrel (fluted by Twisted Barrel). Darn thing shot lights out. 3/4" with 139 Interlocks BT's and 120 TTSX's. I'm not changing a thing. :D

prdatr
01-18-2022, 09:39 AM
My Axis is a Compact in 243 that I bought to have a lighweight gun for Javelina and Coyotes. Those are respectable groups from the 7-08. I shot one for years in High Power Silhouette.