PDA

View Full Version : SSS comp trigger

bobcat30
11-26-2010, 12:27 PM
Do you guys use blue locktite or fingernail polish on your adjustment screws for the trigger? Is it needed? Have a rifle basix coming for a savage edge and in reading instructions they recommend the use of it.

Blue Avenger
11-26-2010, 12:42 PM
I use polish, less flow into places and chips off easier

hailstone
11-26-2010, 12:45 PM
Frankly the fingernail polish would be okay but would recommend staying away from lock-tite. Course others will disagree and I love getting those heavily discounted used rifles that lock-tite has been used on. If you insist on the lock-tite don't go by color. You want product 222 or 290 only. 242, 270 and 640 are big no no's on those small set screws. Ask me how I know!

bobcat30
11-26-2010, 12:57 PM
but is it needed?

82boy
11-26-2010, 01:38 PM
Do you guys use blue locktite or fingernail polish on your adjustment screws for the trigger?
Neither

Is it needed?
No.

Have a rifle basix coming for a savage edge and in reading instructions they recommend the use of it.

Just because one makes recamends it doesn't mean that it should be used on all makes.

pdog06
11-26-2010, 08:52 PM
Looks like some people say no, but I have had 3 SSS triggers that I can spin the screws out VERY easily. Something has to keep them tight and at the correct adjustment. I have already tried them with nothing on them and all have had the screws come out of adjustment, which leads to the sear dropping when you close the bolt(Bang!). So I am not considered being "trigger prejudice" or anything, I also have a Rifle Basix SAV2 and it came out of adjustment also. On the flip side though, I do have a SSS and a Timney trigger that the threads are nice and tight and require nothing at all to keep them tight.

Like said above, DO NOT go by colors on the Loktite! One brands RED is another brands BLUE. Get the one that is "MEDIUM" strength for re-enterable use. The best bet is to just use the nail polish because the strength is the same no matter the color(and you can color it to match the rifle :D :-*).

SO to answer your question, sometimes it is needed and sometimes it isnt. Just depends on how tight the threads are. Personally, I would use it anyway so it doesnt fail in the field.

1Shot
11-26-2010, 09:22 PM
...fingernail polish is all I use... ;)...never had a screw back out..

dcloco
11-26-2010, 09:43 PM
Fingernail polish. PINK or HOT PINK actually. Nail polish is just enamel paint...nothing more. Does not ooze into the threads, just dries in place. Yes, use it.

laportecharlie
11-27-2010, 10:04 AM
On one of my SSS triggers the sear engagement was backing off resulting in the gun firing when the bolt was closed. I called Lisa and she said send it back. They either replaced or repaired it and all is well now. If the screw feels loose when you adjust it, it needs something to hold the setting.
Charlie

LHitchcox
11-27-2010, 10:08 AM
I have always used clear fingernail polish. Never a problem-other than explaining to my new wife why I had fingernail polish. :o

sha-ul
11-27-2010, 02:03 PM
I have always used clear fingernail polish. Never a problem-other than explaining to my new wife why I had fingernail polish. :o

there are many uses for clear nail polish, I used to use it quite a bit on my glasses, where the lacquer came off& the nickle irritated my skin, the clear nail polish would provide a barrier to stop that irritation for months. ;)