PDA

View Full Version : New to the forum with questions on what rifle to pick.

Travis b
01-11-2022, 11:31 AM
New to the forum. Pennsylvania hunter joined because I'm going to purchase a savage bit need opinions and help on picking between a 110 tactical or a 110 high country. So if
Anyone has shot either or both what were your thoughts? I'm getting a 300win mag and plan on long range hunting and target shooting. Thank you guys!

Dave Hoback
01-11-2022, 02:09 PM
Welcome to our shin-dig.

It’s the rifle essentially, but has a few differences; most notably the 110 Tactical is Top Bolt Release, while the High Country is Bottom Release. And then there are the different features. Not to mention a sizable cost between the two. Which, if that is part of your consideration, best to look used. Many here ONLY buy used because we build our rifles. What are you looking for it to do?

drybean
01-11-2022, 05:26 PM
Welcome aboard

Travis b
01-11-2022, 07:25 PM
Hey buddy thanks for having me! I want the rifle to shoot mid to long range. I want it to have the power to take a Der down at a considerable range too. I like both guns I like that they are both heavier. I want accuracy which I know mostly shooter discipline, but I don't want to be floating around at 6 to 8 hundred yards either wondering if it's me or the gun. I want a out of the box rifle I'm not in the position to build one yet. A big ant is smooth action from the bold I read the tactical has a significant amount of slop in the bolt and that makes me nervous. How is the bolt on the high country. I'm ok spending a few extra bucks to get a good rifle. I can't break out into thousands but...

Full Chisel
01-12-2022, 06:52 PM
I think they are basically the same rifle at their core. I have 10 GRS and the bolt is a tad sloppy during eject cycle, but it locks up nice and shoots really well. Either one would get you there. The AICS mags on the tactical are about $35 for a 5 round Magpul for when you're hunting. The 10 round mag is kinda bulky for that. Also, if you go tactical, take some fine 800 grit sandpaper, lay it on a flat surface, and run the tops of the mags back and forth across them until the bolt doesn't drag on them anymore. The bolt slop is no big deal, but that "drag" across the plastic mag drove me nuts.

I just picked up a 110 Classic in 300 Win Mag. Putting first shots down it tommorrow. I broke a screw on the Burris mounts 3 weeks ago and USPS lost the replacements Burris sent. Just showed up yesterday. Building loads tonight. Woo-hoo!

Dave Hoback
01-13-2022, 11:53 AM
Yes, they ARE basically the same, as I said in my first post. The Actions, bolts are the same. As for “bolt slop”, it’s kinda hit & miss on the Savages. That said, bolt slop has absolutely NOTHING to do with accuracy. Yes, the High Country is a bit more stylish I guess you’d say...with the spiral-fluted bolt, nicer stock & all. It’s obviously geared for hunting. But it does cost considerably more. The choice would be easy for me because I know Savages so well. I would choose the Tactical. That said, I wouldn’t, in reality, even get one of those new. I’d find the absolute cheapest I could find with Accutrigger. But that’s me.

Accuracy, handling etc., is going to be pretty equal. So it comes down to styling & price tag I’d say. And that, of course, only you can answer. Do you prefer the styling cous & hunting aspect attached to the higher priced High Country or not. Good luck.

ragsflh
01-14-2022, 08:18 AM
welcome aboard

GaCop
01-15-2022, 08:14 AM
Welcome to the group.

big honkin jeep
01-19-2022, 07:50 PM
If I were looking for a .300 win mag, the Savage Bear Hunter would be at the top of my list.
It closely mirrors my 116FLCSAK in 30-06 which is my favorite rifle but the 116 FLCSAK was unfortunately discontinued long ago with no replacement and finding a used one is like trying to find hens teeth.