PDA

View Full Version : Shopping for a savage! Long range deer knocker!

Travis b
01-11-2022, 10:16 AM
I have been shopping for a savage 300 win mag. I think I have it narrowed to a 110 tactical or 110 high country. I'm interested in opinions on both rifles. I want to get into long range shooting with the ability to take a deer at medium to long range. I read a few downfalls on the tactical action but a lot of people seem to love the gun. I read a lot of good on the high country too. Both are appealing to me and want shooters opinions! Thank you for any input and opinions!

GaCop
01-15-2022, 08:16 AM
I can't comment on either one never having owned them but welcome to the group.

wbm
01-15-2022, 09:39 AM
I have a 110 Tactical in 6.5 Creedmoor. Great for fixed position shooting but a bit heavy to tote around in the field.

ragsflh
01-15-2022, 10:07 AM
welcome,great gun

drybean
01-15-2022, 10:51 AM
Welcome aboard

yobuck
01-15-2022, 11:23 AM
I have been shopping for a savage 300 win mag. I think I have it narrowed to a 110 tactical or 110 high country. I'm interested in opinions on both rifles. I want to get into long range shooting with the ability to take a deer at medium to long range. I read a few downfalls on the tactical action but a lot of people seem to love the gun. I read a lot of good on the high country too. Both are appealing to me and want shooters opinions! Thank you for any input and opinions!
So Travis, what part of Pa are you planing to hunt deer at long range?
Are you starting from scratch, or do you have some experience and equipment at this point?
Do you have any friends that have been doing so that might be willing to offer advise on things other than guns that would be essential for doing that?

Full Chisel
01-15-2022, 12:15 PM
They are basically the same rifle as far as action/barrel are concerned. Here are a couple of things to look at.

Advantage LR Hunter - Comes with on/off muzzle brake (cost $90 separately from Savage)
Disadvantage LR Hunter - muzzle thread is 9/16x28 so aftermarket offerings are hard to find and $100+; same thread on 110 classic

Advantage Tactical - comes with 20 moa EGW rail (cost $40 separately)
Advantage Tactical - (double check me on this!) muzzle thread is 5/8x24 so aftermarket brakes are easily found and cheap.
Disadvantage - since it's gonna be a hunter and target, finding an on/off type muzzle brake or taking brake on and off all the time may be a pain, but call Savage and see what they offer
Disadvantage Tactical - Magpul AICS mags are $35 for a 5 rounder for hunting
Disadvantage Tactical - you may get bolt drag across top of mag which will require some honing down of mag top with fine sandpaper, but not that big a deal.

Oh, and check with Savage, but I think the 26" barrel on the LRH includes the length of the brake, so It's really a 24" barrel. But again, double check that with Savage.

Blue Avenger
01-15-2022, 06:04 PM
To start with, it is the cartridge's ability that comes into play First! Your first shot in hunting is the one you need! A light weight gun is just as accurate as a heavy gun in that scenario.
The heavy guns only have an advantage when you have repeat shooting in a short time. OR, You are not able to take hard recoil from the light gun.
I really dislike .338-06 mountain rifle recoil!
20 MOA base may not zero at 100yds if you scope dose not have enough travel.
simplest one would be the .300WM
What are you actually calling long range? 300yds 600yds? 900yds?

snoeproe
01-16-2022, 08:15 AM
My 300 win mag is too much gun for deer hunting. Too big, heavy and too much recoil for me. It only comes out to hunt moose.

Chinook
01-16-2022, 07:19 PM
What ever ya end up with . . .
Greetings Citizen . . . . . from Stalag Michigan !