PDA

View Full Version : New Member: Jackster

Jackster
01-08-2022, 04:26 PM
Hi,

I'm new to this site, but not new to the shooting sports. Used to live on the East Coast, and now live in San Diego. I belong to a couple of hunting clubs, and have been shooting since I was on a junior rifle team in the '60s. I have a Savage 110 from circa 1975, and a Savage Axis I won in a drawing 3-4 years ago. Both in 30-06. Reason I heard/got involved with this site is that I've been thinking about buying a new barrel for my 110. I was looking into what I needed in the way of a barrel nut wrench and barrel vice, and any instruction on how to make the switch. I have the 110E which was the cheaper 110 at the time, and it has only a 20" barrel which isn't too accurate based upon a lot of different loads I've tried with various bullets over the years. I'm thinking of changing to a 6.5mm Creedmoor. I already have a rifle in that caliber. I'm envisioning headspacing with a cartridge fired from my other rifle so that I'll be able to neck size only and use the cases in both rifles. I've read that there should be no problem feeding the shorter cartridges through the 110E box magazine. This is the 110 that had an internal box magazine. Any comments would be welcome.

Dave Hoback
01-22-2022, 07:32 AM
Welcome. Not sure if you posted elsewhere or not. But I recommend reading some. Then if you’d like, continue to ask some of the knowledgeable members here. Many of us practically build these rifles in our sleep. And help is never a problem here.

ragsflh
01-22-2022, 08:35 AM
welcome.use headspace gauge

Blue Avenger
01-22-2022, 11:12 AM
fill the case with epoxy so the shoulder dose not flex when you use it.

BRADDAVIS
01-23-2022, 08:50 PM
I do all of my own work, I typically run small shank Savage barrels on Axis actions. If you need any help let me know. Big shank I run left side port right side eject.