PDA

View Full Version : Times Like This

Appleseed
01-06-2022, 03:15 PM
I miss the old board topic "Help Me Decide." Every few years I get the bug to add a new rifle or pistol, have lots of range out the front door and shooting often way out here on the mountain helps keep the neighbors honest, (just kidding?).

I want a factory rig. Going to add a .223 7 twist rifle and have never handled the 12 LRPV. I have owned a model 12 VLP in single shot and sold it to a member in a nearby town a dozen years ago...a fool hardy decision.

I have three choices, the LRPV single shot left/right, but haven't handled or shot one. Good stock, single shot 12 action. I know nothing of advantages or otherwise of this action design. Shooting in the dark so to say. Seems the small shank barrels are more available however.

Or have the custom shop build a VLP in single shot. A bit more dinero, but I'm spending it on someone I love. And I don't doubt it will be shipped before my 4 local shops get new rifles on their shelves.

Or maybe a VLP off the shelf, dbm? Do I need 5 shots? Maybe not, it's for bench shooting mostly.

Jim Briggs, a board sponsor, has an option of a non factory build for the same value.

J.Baker
01-07-2022, 10:19 AM
Responded to your PM on this James, so I won't bother to rehash my comments here. Know it's been a long while since you regularly surfed the boards here so just wanted to point out Jim Briggs hasn't run NSS for quite a few years now. He sold the business to a relative (James Kessler) and it's now located in Bismarck, ND.

https://northlandshooterssupply.com/contact/

Appleseed
01-07-2022, 01:57 PM
That's the info I needed to make a selection, I wondered why Jim had changed his last name on his emails. Only question is will the 7 twist shoot lighter bullets ok? Have plenty of 40-69gr stuff in the shop.

J.Baker
01-07-2022, 02:46 PM
Should shoot the 55gr and up stuff fine. Light than that will depend on the jacket thickness as that fast of a twist generates enough torque to rip up the jackets. The result is your bullet turning into a cloud of grey dust usually at around 25-50 yards.

Fuj'
01-08-2022, 07:36 AM
Jim is correct about over spinning them jackets. I shoot a 77 and 69 gr SMKs with an 8 twist
with no ill effect. The JBM and Hornady's 4DOF calculators prove it out. I have an RRA Delta
Mid with a 9 twist. It's shoots the 62 gr pills. Never been a fan of 7 twist anything in .223.
If your going to shoot something like Berger 90's at a lower velocity, then maybe, but tailor
your twist to the bulk of what you will be shooting. An 8 twist covers your ground better.

Appleseed
01-10-2022, 05:38 PM
Going with the 7 twist factory VLP and adding a shorter custom 9 twist. I will probably never be able to see well enough again after this next implant to shoot over 300yrds anyway. I found a bunch of heavy bullets on the shelf last weekend, 68, 69, 75 and 80 boat tails in Hornady and Nosler. The 75 gr ballistic tip I loaded and shot in a 9 twist I can't find now.

charlie b
01-11-2022, 10:18 AM
Nice choices. I shoot 77SMK's and 75ELDM's in a 9 twist and they do well. I do load them up near max (2850fps). The 75ELDM's are a bit too long for the magazine so they are single shot.