PDA

View Full Version : Centerfeed mags

efm77
11-25-2010, 11:30 AM
It appears that the new centerfeed mags in both the hinged floorplate and detachable mag models seem very similar. Can a hinged floorplate be changed to detachable mag without any mods.?

hailstone
11-25-2010, 01:16 PM
Yes. Rifle that I converted had too remove small amount of wood from the stock in order for new DBM framework too fit properly. Press in on the box magazine sides too release it from the hinged floor plate. Install on DBM bottom cap same way. Note you must engage the rear tab first then rotate slightly while squeezing the magazine sides to engage the two side tabs. Savage engineers did bang up job of minimizing parts count for DBM, hinged floor plate or blind magazine. All use the same magazine body, spring and follower.

efm77
11-25-2010, 02:06 PM
Thanks for the info. So if I understand you correctly the bottom metal (frame around the mag. that's screwed into the stock) has to be changed too?

geargrinder
11-25-2010, 02:35 PM
Yes, that's correct. The only piece you keep is the mag box and follower.

IIRC, there is a small spacer that comes out with the hinged floor plate from under the front trigger guard screw. The DBM frame is thicker in that portion so it is not needed. That may be why efm77 needed to remove some material on his wood stock and I didn't on my plastic.