PDA

View Full Version : Who has taken apart or examined closely their SSS

taylorwkrs
11-25-2010, 10:55 AM
competition trigger? Bought mine secondhand on this board. Was sold to me "installed but they did not like the feel - then replaced." Therefore, I cannot say what a factory trigger looks like. This one has 2 issues.

1. The sear face has been highly polished, by hand. This means that the engagement surface is rounded. I cannot imagine a factory trigger being rounded on the face unless it was to limit the engagement area. Machining with CNC etc. means burr free and extreme tolerance adherence, so I have a hard time believing this is a factory product. ( but perhaps it is.)

2. Sear does not snap forward as it should even when adjusted properly. It takes the bolt manipulation/cycling to jar the sear, to make sear rebound from the trigger body. I would think the sear would move freely in the trigger body when not under pressure. I think I may need to stone sear sides and sear where trigger rides against it, and same with trigger.

I used to be the primary gunsmith in charge of Savage Warranty work for the east coast in the 70's, so have done this type of work many times, have all of the tools etc. .........but never on a SSS trigger.

Anybody with a SSS trigger have similar issues?

taylorwkrs

pdog06
11-25-2010, 11:18 AM
#2- sounds like either the cross bolt is tightened too much and it is binding it, or the trigger housing is bent and it is pinching the sear.

LG
11-25-2010, 11:39 AM
Another thing to check: perhaps the trigger overtravel adjustment is too tight, not allowing the SSS sear (intermediate lever) to reset properly. Try backing out the overtarvel screw a little bit.

I don't have much experience with SSS triggers, but the ones I have seen had sharp square engagement surfaces, not rounded.

taylorwkrs
11-25-2010, 11:53 AM
#2- sounds like either the cross bolt is tightened too much and it is binding it, or the trigger housing is bent and it is pinching the sear.

First thing I checked......loose.

------------

Another thing to check: perhaps the trigger overtravel adjustment is too tight, not allowing the SSS sear (intermediate lever) to reset properly. Try backing out the overtarvel screw a little bit.

Backed off all the way.

taylorwkrs

Blue Avenger
11-25-2010, 12:43 PM
I have seen Fred stone some surfaces as he assembles them. did not pay enough attention as to which surfaces he was stoning. I do not think he was rounding anything.

kelbro
11-25-2010, 10:01 PM
You might give Fred a call and let him know what's going on. He could probably tell you if it has been monkeyed with. If it got out with any sort of defect, they are great folks and would most likely take care of it for you.

taylorwkrs
11-26-2010, 10:42 AM
I'll call. Thanks all of the suggestions.

taylorwkrs