PDA

View Full Version : Bolt Head Sizes

Appleseed
12-19-2021, 05:43 PM
I didn't get a chance to shoot last winter due to being crippled by an old tractor accident...didn't walk or sit either for that matter. I'm better now and in the loading shack again.

But I have a problem to fix! before getting immobile, took a model/116 .223 to my smith to switch to .243 bolt head and new axis med/heavy barrel...which is a great contour imo.

Started to clean up and start break-in and load data this week. Low and behold, the .243 cartridge will not fit the bolt face or into the chamber from the mag or hand feed...it's too long.

After re-checking this eve, I bought the bolt head new from a member here because Midway had it back ordered. It is my mistake, but would like to have the measurements to check.

So what is the difference in length of the two?

{Guess the Striker pistol will have to sit in the ground blind the last two weeks of PESTORAMIC season...I HATE DEER!}

Robinhood
12-19-2021, 05:49 PM
1st things first. Talk to that smith.

Appleseed
12-19-2021, 05:52 PM
Done did. He checked my striker last week, been wanting a reason to use it anyway. Probably my screw up for making the order from a member here without measuring.

Blue Avenger
12-19-2021, 07:21 PM
so the smith assembled the gun and did not test his work, just sent you home??
Did he fail to change the bolt head? is it still .223?

J.Baker
12-19-2021, 10:15 PM
Why can't folks on here seem to give straight answers to specific questions rather than trying to play 20 questions?

I.D. of case head recess should be around 0.480-0.485", though I've seen some as big as 0.490"
Case head recess should be around 0.115"
Lug length (front to back) should be around 0.440"
Baffle length (front to back) should be around 0.370"

Also might want to check the chamber and make sure you didn't get a short chambered barrel. A full length sized case or go-gauge should protrude around 0.120" from the breech when inserted in the chamber.

Sorry to hear about your accident James, but glad to hear you've healed up.

sharpshooter
12-19-2021, 10:40 PM
One is a short action bolt head, the other is a long. SA= .437", the long .500"

Appleseed
12-20-2021, 12:10 PM
I bought the part from a member here without furnishing him the part number, so I'm guessing it is as sharpshooter suggests. I will mic the one on the bolt. The smith put on the one I brought him, so this is on me. The barrel is a new Axis varmint, Once the dummy round is inserted in the chamber, the bolt locks down correctly, the bolt head is too long to pull back from the det. mag to get a hold on the case head.

A bright note is the Striker .223 will get some time in the deer stand for a couple weeks.

Appleseed
12-20-2021, 02:42 PM
Well with those measures taken, it is correct bolt head, but the baffle is the old .223. The length of the side bar (?) is long and it stops the bolt rear travel short.

Back from the shop, the smith is changing the baffle, it was a .223 part, bolt head was correct, going to put some more head space in too for the long bullets.

Dave Hoback
12-20-2021, 03:10 PM
Yes, I agree... but the popular belief is it’s Thanksgiving we remember to be thankful for even the smallest of blessings; although it should be every day. CHRISTmas is to rejoice & celebrate the birth of our Lord & Savior, Christ Jesus. The Living Word, God’s son that agreed to be born a man, live under our same laws & temptations, but remain Himself a PERFECT sacrifice. Free from any blemish. And willingly He sacrificed himself. His precious blood shed for us, to pay for OUR sin. That we could have a path to The Father & His Kingdom. Christ is that path, that bridge to God’s glory.

Appleseed
12-20-2021, 08:50 PM
They ain't makin' Jews like Jesus anymore...may the God of your choice bless you.

GrenGuy
12-21-2021, 09:35 AM
Your smith is going to put SOME MORE HEADSPACE in too for THE LONG BULLETS ??????

Appleseed
12-21-2021, 11:42 AM
Jim, it's time to initiate a forum ICSO function.

J.Baker
12-21-2021, 06:51 PM
WTF is ICSO? (see, I can use acronyms to confuse people to - tho mine's pretty obvious.). LOL

Also, getting this thread back on track...

Rifle started as a .223, correct?
You swapped out the bolt head for a standard 308 size, correct?

BIG QUESTION: Did you change the front baffle as well? .223 front baffles typically have a longer tail on one side to limit the bolt stroke since the .223 mags have a block in the rear of them being for a shorter cartridge.

Blue Avenger
12-21-2021, 07:33 PM
BIG QUESTION: Did you change the front baffle as well? .223 front baffles typically have a longer tail on one side to limit the bolt stroke since the .223 mags have a block in the rear of them being for a shorter cartridge.

sounds like that is where it went wrong

Dave Hoback
12-21-2021, 08:57 PM
Said he had a smith do it. Pretty bad but if they didn’t. It’s already been said....needs to go directly back to that smith! Don’t know why he’s asking us anything. It’s o the gunsmith who worked on it.

Appleseed
12-21-2021, 09:32 PM
WTF is ICSO? (see, I can use acronyms to confuse people to - tho mine's pretty obvious.). LOL

Also, getting this thread back on track...

Rifle started as a .223, correct?
You swapped out the bolt head for a standard 308 size, correct?

Rifle is a factory .243 barrel on a stock 16 action beginning as a .223 factory rifle.

Yes the baffle gets changed to 308/243, that was the problem. The bolt head was correct. I ordered the parts and delivered them, so I'll take responsibility. Just the baffle was wrong. The det/mag is correct now too.

ICSO: Insipid Comment Shut Off I figure the clown factories closed early for the holidays and there's not much for the work force to do for the week but populate discussion boards for a few laughs...[hahahaha].