PDA

View Full Version : What shank size

Hound
12-18-2021, 11:01 PM
I know this has been asked a million + times, but I need some help.
I bought a savage short action, bottom bolt release, with a mag bolt face. I don't know what shank size I have. I've read to measure the barrel nut, barrel diameter in front of the nut ect. My problem is, all I have is the action, bolt, and trigger. I can measure the threaded inside Dia of the receiver, and get a measurement minus thread depth. Can anyone tell me what measurement I should get, large vs small. I want to order a barrel after Christmas for a smokeless muzzleloader build, but I'm stuck as to what I need to order.
Thanks all, and Merry Christmas

Dave Hoback
12-18-2021, 11:41 PM
You have a LARGE shank because ALL (edit: NEW) Savage SHORT Action Magnums are Large Shank. EDIT: So unless you happen to have one from the first year or two of the WSM release, it’s a Large Shank. Here is the article explaining it. Read the WHOLE article. There is a picture showing the difference of the two barrel nuts.

https://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?127-Savage-Barrel-Shank-Sizes

ninner
12-19-2021, 09:49 AM
Weren’t the early WSM’s built on small shank short actions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave Hoback
12-19-2021, 10:28 AM
Weren’t the early WSM’s built on small shank short actions?

Yes, for the first year...maybe almost two, the WSM’s were Small Shank. Sorry, I should have specified ALL “NEW” WSMs. The Small Shank has NO problem with those or just about any other cartridge...even the SUPER Magnums. Action strength nor fitment is surely not an issue.

The OP came across that the rifle was purchased NEW, not used. But I did post the Article, regardless. Following that article will leave the user with no shadow of a doubt.

Robinhood
12-19-2021, 02:50 PM
Look for something as small as 1.075" if it is in that neighborhood it is a Large Shank.

Hound
12-19-2021, 03:18 PM
Thanks all, I bought the action from a guy who was going to build a 350 rem mag, but never did.
I believe the gun was originally a 6.5 prc, not 100% sure. I just know it's a bottom bolt release, short action, mag bolt face. At the time I didn't think to find out more, just a good deal came my way and I jumped on it.