PDA

View Full Version : High country scope base and rings question

Rkenyon
12-18-2021, 08:11 PM
Just got a 110 High Country in .308 - recommendation on what scope base ( single or two piece) what size base screw do I need (#8-40?) and what rings are you running for it (most using medium?)
Thanks in advance

Dave Hoback
12-18-2021, 10:36 PM
As always, I recommend a 1-piece Picatinny rail...NOT Weaver, Picatinny,(Mil-Std-1913 rail). There IS a difference. Picatinny is stronger & much more consistent. All new Savages now use 8-40 screws. Rings(brand), are subjective. Again though, I recommend Picatinny rings...sighted two or three screw top caps. Another good option is using a 1-piece Picatinny mount. Popular with competition shooters. The hands down favorite is the Spuhr mount. But they cost a substantial amount. If I was buying all over right now, I would get the the 3-screw Top-Tier rings they are also crazy expensive, but not as nuts as the Spuhr. Honestly though...any rings made of steel or 7075 Billet work well. I do NOT recommend rings made of 6061 Aluminum. Rings like the Burris with the inserts... no thank you. Others like them though. The 1-piece mounts are mostly made with 6061, save for a few like the Spuhr, Top-Tier & Warne Skyline. 6061 is ok in a 1-piece mount because there is so much extra material over a set of rings. So rigidity is not a problem.

Thing is, so much of this is subjective. And everyone has their favorite. I’m simply giving you MY Feelings on the matter. I encourage you do your own research & not let any single opinion sway you. Also don’t let groups sway you. I can tell you, most who are going to give their opinion, haven’t even used many different setups. Some of them will be kids, who just got their first gun last week.. several will be guys who have done nothing but hunted for last ELEVENTY years using their “good ol’ trusty” steel Standard or Duel Dovetail, because they just don’t trust the new fangled stuff.... like BILLET ALUMINUM... or CARBON FIBER, LOL! -J/K. No, seriously... point is that any quality setup will work to hold the scope in place. Research, and choose the one that speaks to you personally. Whether Picatinny rings OR 1-piece mount, Standard, or 1-piece mount/no rail needed... look at and research them all. Choose the one you are drawn to and at the price range you can afford. Doesn’t matter what I or anyone else is going to use, we aren’t the ones shooting YOUR rig.

Rkenyon
12-19-2021, 08:54 AM
Appreciate the info and advise - all top notch! Thank you Dave!

1bayouboy
12-19-2021, 08:56 AM
I like the Vortex Pro rings...
https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/search.cfm?kword=vortex+pro+rings
with the full length EGW rail. Pick the ring height based on the objective bell size to clear the barrel (and sometime scope
adjustment bulge or power ring size to clear the rail). If you mount the rail you can put the rifle in something to hold it (like a cleaning cradle)
and see where the scope will be as far as eye relief and that will give you the position of the objective bell. The lay a flat edge on the rail
and see the clearance at the bell's position on the rifle. I'm using a Nightforce 4-14x56 scope and even with a lower rail and medium rings
the bell clears the barrel nicely without the scope being too high. The ring height from the measured clearance is
{(actual bell diameter - scope diameter) / 2} + amount of clearance you want.

The actual bell diameter for the 56mm objective lens NF is 65mm. So (65 - 30) / 2 gave me 17 mm above the barrel. I forget off the top what the measured
barrel clearance was from the rail height, but I think it was around 9-10mm. So The actual ring height to the saddle only needed to be 8mm plus clearance).
Note that most ring heights are given to scope centerline, not saddle height.

The main thing is measure and think about where you want the scope and look for quality rings that give you the height you want. I also recommend lapping the rings.

Blue Avenger
12-19-2021, 08:21 PM
shy away from 2 piece, you need long body scopes or offset rings for the long action to get proper eye relief for most shooters