PDA

View Full Version : Watson & Berger

Mr.Snerdly
12-14-2021, 07:51 PM
Is there any connection between them? The most accurate bullet I have found for my 243 is the Watson 68 grain flat base match bullet. I was wondering where I could get more but I have a box of Berger 68 grain. I thought I would look at them and see if they were similar. I measured the length and they are the same. I also did some measurements to see where to seat them to give about the same distance to lands. They measure the same. It looks like the exact same bullet. Is there a connection?

I haven't shot any of the Bergers yet but I would think they would shoot as well. I also looked on the Berger website and they are still being made. Pretty pricy but with the accuracy I was getting it might be worth the premium price.

pdshooter2
12-14-2021, 10:01 PM
walt berger is no longer with us, his company is now part of a much larger machine.
his bullets have a great design, but are machine made, so while very good not quite hand made like the watson's were.
i do not know who owns larry's dies, but you could try asking on bench rest central.

more than one GREAT BULLET has been copied by the competition.....one guy actually put the bullet drawing on his site!

Dave Hoback
12-14-2021, 11:21 PM
For one to believe Walt & Ed went about their lives never conversing, bouncing ideas, criticisms, accolades back & forth would just be naive. Not to mention they BOTH preferred LIGHTER, FASTER bullets I’ve read.

BTW: I’m not insinuating anyone believes this. I’m just speculating.

charlie b
12-16-2021, 11:49 PM
Don't know about the 6mm. My .308 likes the 155 Bergers, but, they have to be seated into the lands. From what I have read, that is common. Not sure if that holds for other calibers or not.

Mr.Snerdly
12-17-2021, 04:47 PM
^^^I don't know where these are to the lands. They measure 2.685 OAL. I am not going to mess with it the way it shoots. The Nosler 70 grain are decent too. Just shot a 9/16 group a few minutes ago with the Noslers but the Watson were considerably better. I won't even say what the one group was. I know neither the gun or I am that good, probably more luck than anything but I have shot enough of them to know they are better than the Noslers. I have the Noslers seated 2.695. It is a long ways off the lands, .100", probably more since there have been a number of rounds through it since I measured. Which brings me to another question, I have heard 1500 rounds is about it for a 243 barrel and it probably has that many through it. Do you just keep going till it drops off in accuracy? I do load on the light side and never shoot till the barrel gets hot.