PDA

View Full Version : Impulse Barreling Info

shoots100
12-13-2021, 10:47 PM
Contacted Savage about the availability of a barrel extension for my Impulse predator.
That way I can swap barrels without head spacing them every time.
I want a CF barrel for predator hunting and use the heavy spiral fluted barrel for PRS.
Well, I was informed that savage won't sell the barrel extension's for safety reasons.
They won't install a barrel on a rifle either.
So there goes my easy switch barrel plans.

Robinhood
12-13-2021, 10:53 PM
Depending on the complexity you could have some made and sell a few. Keeping one or two for yourself.

J.Baker
12-16-2021, 05:44 PM
Well, if Savage ever gets me the Predator model in 22-250 I requested almost a year ago now you can rest assured Fred will be getting all the dimensions on the extensions and likely start offering them through SSS. Can't do didly-squt though when you can't even get one directly from Savage.

(If you can't tell I'm more than a bit ticked off at Savage over this whole Impulse debacle at this point.)

shoots100
12-17-2021, 02:15 AM
If I do anything, It'll have to wait till predator season ends, as I'm not taking my main yote rifle out of the race because I'm pissed at savage, which I am.
I'm pissed that they think that their the first company in history to use a barrel extension and that Smiths don't know how to headspace a barrel with an extension ?
I'm still not giving up, but if savage won't sell me a barrel extension or agree to fit a savage supplied CF barrel of my specs to my rifle before the season ends, I will have someone make me a barrel extension and do it myself.

BigG
01-02-2022, 06:45 PM
I guess I don't understand the issue with them. I have really been thinking about the impulse as I see it as an even easier switch barrel once it is set up with the extension. What's the reason for making a simple system like that if you are going to say nobody is smart enough to set it up?

Blue Avenger
01-02-2022, 11:08 PM
barrel extension? so it dose not use there normal barrel?

OK, looked at sales ad and see 4 bolt clamp. and that is enough to keep the barrel in place?
LOL No wonder your not getting one Jim, they want to slow Fred down.

Blue Avenger
01-02-2022, 11:20 PM
I guess I don't understand the issue with them. I have really been thinking about the impulse as I see it as an even easier switch barrel once it is set up with the extension. What's the reason for making a simple system like that if you are going to say nobody is smart enough to set it up?

i imagine the special indexing lug and the vent hole along with headspace could be a slight challenge without the right fixture.

BigG
01-05-2022, 04:33 AM
I dont believe the way the barrel extension is made can be inserted wrong. The way I see it the extension is inserted and goes in a certain spot which is indexed, clamp is tightened. Next barrel, standard recoil lug and locking nut are installed and headspaced as usual. From then on you could just loosen clamp pull barrel and extension with reinstall just the reverse. No loss of zero.

It makes no sense why they will not sell the extensions separate. Why simplify a system then say you won't sell the parts. I really like this design and want It but the biggest reason is for a very simple barrel switch at the range or on a trip. I also like straight pull rifles but can't afford a Blaser etc.

AlexV4RR
04-21-2022, 01:20 PM
I am starting a 6mm Creedmoor build so Ill have a barrel extension soon. Ill be taking down some dimensions soon. There is a fair bit of things to look at before making one, Material, Hardness, Heat treatment and Tolerances. Ill Report back when I get it apart.

Olink
04-21-2022, 07:43 PM
On page 61 of this month's American Hunter, the Impulse wins the Golden Bullseye award for Rifle of the Year. Here is a quote from the write up on the Impulse:

"The bolt head and the button-rifled barrel are interchangeable to create a switch-barrel/switch caliber rig."

Are you guys saying this should be the Golden Bullshit award?

shoots100
04-26-2022, 09:21 PM
On page 61 of this month's American Hunter, the Impulse wins the Golden Bullseye award for Rifle of the Year. Here is a quote from the write up on the Impulse:

"The bolt head and the button-rifled barrel are interchangeable to create a switch-barrel/switch caliber rig."

Are you guys saying this should be the Golden Bullshit award?
I think it's BS that Savage won't sell extensions or install a barrel for you, but claim it's a switch barrel rig.
I'm also in the process of having a barrel extension made and am waiting for my .243 chambered CF X barrel to arrive to get it done.

AlexV4RR
04-27-2022, 07:04 PM
I think it's BS that Savage won't sell extensions or install a barrel for you, but claim it's a switch barrel rig.
I'm also in the process of having a barrel extension made and am waiting for my .243 chambered CF X barrel to arrive to get it done.

Ya, Ill agree but my guess is that they are short on the barrel extensions themselves. What impulse did you start with for your build? I am doing a 6mm Creedmoor 24in barrel and started with the 6.5mm creedmoor 20in barrel. Is it a small shank? I am pretty sure it is based on my reading but Ill get the rifle soon to confirm. You wouldn't happen to have gotten some models or dimensions from the extension?

shoots100
04-27-2022, 09:39 PM
I using a predator model.
Sent the barrel away to get it spiral fluted and since that didn't remove enough weight for my liking, I'm going to see what a carbon fiber barrel will do.
My CF barrel will be 20"s long, not a copy of the 22" factory barrel, so I'm hoping that the addition of a CF barrel will balance it out.
My .243 barrel is a small shank.
My machinist has all of the extension dimensions and will be running a few prototypes with cold rolled mild steel before making the real deal out of 4140HT.
After it's completed and tested, I'll send it out to get a nitride treatment.