PDA

View Full Version : Savage 110 Tactical Recoil lug Misalignment, Not able to Zero

Pages : [1] 2

Rickyn613
12-13-2021, 12:53 AM
Bought a 110 Tactical in 6.5 CM and can’t get it to shoot whatsoever. I followed normal procedure of pulling off the base, cleaning everything, mounting the base to proper torque, mounting the rings and optic, torquing to spec, then bore sighting.

Went to the range to zero and took the first shot at 50 yards which was near dead center. We had 4 2x2 targets on cardboard at 100 yards for sighting in. The first shot did not hit anywhere on the targets. 40 rounds later I maybe had 10 shots on paper in a 3 foot spread. Went home frustrated, pulled of the scope off and mounted a known good optic. Back to the range with the same results. At this point I decided to check the action screws. When I removed the stock I could visibly see that the recoil lug was grossly misaligned in the direction of which the barrel nut would be tightened. So much that it was wearing into the aluminum bedding of the accustock. I’ve never had an issue with a recoil lug but was curious if this would cause such drastic accuracy issues? I literally can’t hit the broadside of a barn!

I’ve never had these issues before and I have plenty of experience with sighting in rifles. I bought this rifle right before Covid and did not shoot it until a few months back so the warranty is up and I don’t think Savage is going to offer help. I can’t post pictures but the lug is literally 70% to the right side of the action centerline. I would appreciate any input as to what you guys think.

Dave Hoback
12-13-2021, 01:41 AM
I've never run into the issue myself, but you've done a pretty good trial & error investigation. Seems like you are quite familiar with the aspects of accuracy, so I won't insult your intelligence with the prerequisite "Did you clean it" question, LOL!

Based on your steps, I'd say you are on to something. I can say it should absolutely NOT be wearing into the aluminum. It would appear you received one of the examples of poor QC. My advice would be to purchase a new aftermarket, machined Recoil Lug & and Barrel nut. They are not expensive, and can certainly do no harm. If you can muster a bit of searching & patience, I'd wager you can find someone close enough to you with the tools & willingness to help for the sake of helping. I'd certainly help you swap them, although I'm near Philadelphia....bit of a hike from Washington. Or, of course you could order the tools yourself if you possess a bit of know-how.

Your other option is to take/send it to a Gunsmith & pay their fee. Again though, patience will be needed.

Rickyn613
12-13-2021, 02:27 AM
Dave, thanks for the reply! I own a wheeler barrel vise and oak blocks, have plenty of lead strapping, and a savage action wrench but did not know if a canted recoil lug would cause such an issue or if it could be something more drastic like the barrel itself. I agree wholeheartedly that the cost associated with purchasing an aftermarket lug and nut would be worth the gamble, even if it doesn’t solve the issue. I will most likely proceed down that route but honestly was considering a new barrel before I identified the recoil lug. I guess this is my luck as I was expecting to have a shooter out of the box like most reviews I’ve seen.

http://www.savageshooters.com/blob:https://www.savageshooters.com/11fa5fa1-6144-42c6-872d-ed9eaae9d97f

Dave Hoback
12-13-2021, 03:39 AM
Well, don't curse the barrel just yet, LOL! Ahh! Your a fellow DIY'er.. EXCELLENT! Either way it makes sense to try a new lug & nut. Several places selling them & such. If it ended up being a barrel, you'd need to get those components anyway!

CRJR
12-13-2021, 08:34 AM
Might try calling Savage first , I had to send a gun back , they were real good about it . Try to explain the delay , what can it hurt ?

Dave Hoback
12-13-2021, 10:26 AM
Because the OP has the tools & clearly knows what he’s doing. Hell, a Recoil lug & Barrel nut costs about what shipping would be to Savage & back.

I’ve actually NEVER sent a firearm back to the manufacturer. Always fixed what ever myself.

Rickyn613
12-13-2021, 11:09 AM
I might give them a call this morning and see what they say. Honestly though I’m not interested in being without the firearm for many weeks and to have to spend money on shipping when I have the equipment to fix it myself. I’m just curious as to if a misaligned lug can cause such drastic issues or whether I have a bigger fish to fry?!

GrenGuy
12-13-2021, 11:31 AM
Ricky, first and foremost, contact Savage, before anything else. When shooting a rifle and not knowing where the projectile went is dangerous. There is nothing funny about it. Warranty or not, You should not have to fix it or pay anything to have it fixed. Contact Savage and beat home the word “HAZARD”. With what You describe, there’s no telling what’s wrong with that rifle, and it should not have left Savage like that. If I couldn’t get Savage to fix it, I would go the route of “United Breaks Guitars”, and the entire shooting world would know about it. JMO...Good Luck :(

CRJR
12-13-2021, 12:02 PM
Also , if you take it somewhere else you run the risk of Savage denying a claim if it is a barrel or some other big ticket item . I wouldn't tell them I even took the stock off , just send it in and let them find the problem .

Dave Hoback
12-13-2021, 12:15 PM
I’m pretty sure Savage(or ANY company), would commence to hysterical LAUGHING & hanging up if one was to approach them with that, LOL!

We actually DO have some idea of what’s wrong, based on the OP’s description. The recoil lug wearing into the Aluminum bedding block due to severe misalignment, is evidence that the Action is not seating properly. Imagine having free air space between Action & bedding with the Lug wearing, GOUGING into the Aluminum. Such a set-up could be under constant creep. That said, I certainly wouldn't cause this hazardous or dangerous. Even if it’s shooting a SEVERAL FEET group spread, as long as safety has been observed, muzzle pointed downrange, KNOWING your backstop,etc., what is the danger, besides maybe hitting the target next to yours?

Well, that is why there are two different types of firearms owners. Really in all things. Those who DIY, and those who expect or pay someone else to fix it. When I was younger, I was an Auto Tech. And among my hobbies was race cars. I BUILT & tuned my own car. And at times there would be a car faster than mine, who’s owner would BRAG about it. To me it always seemed disingenuous. They would BRAG about something they had NOTHING to do with, except for paying someone. I was always proud of my accomplishments, and rightly so. Because every part of it was from me. From the parts CHOSEN, to installing, to tuning & yes...even paying! But that’s just me. I know not everyone can DO on their own. And I don’t expect them to. But we should give the DIY’er that same courtesy.

CRJR
12-13-2021, 12:35 PM
I’m pretty sure Savage(or ANY company), would commence to hysterical LAUGHING & hanging up if one was to approach them with that, LOL!

We actually DO have some idea of what’s wrong, based on the OP’s description. The recoil lug wearing into the Aluminum bedding block due to severe misalignment, is evidence that the Action is not seating properly. Imagine having free air space between Action & bedding with the Lug wearing, GOUGING into the Aluminum. Such a set-up could be under constant creep. That said, I certainly wouldn't cause this hazardous or dangerous. Even if it’s shooting a SEVERAL FEET group spread, as long as safety has been observed, muzzle pointed downrange, KNOWING your backstop,etc., what is the danger, besides maybe hitting the target next to yours?

Well, that is why there are two different types of firearms owners. Really in all things. Those who DIY, and those who expect or pay someone else to fix it. When I was younger, I was an Auto Tech. And among my hobbies was race cars. I BUILT & tuned my own car. And at times there would be a car faster than mine, who’s owner would BRAG about it. To me it always seemed disingenuous. They would BRAG about something they had NOTHING to do with, except for paying someone. I was always proud of my accomplishments, and rightly so. Because every part of it was from me. From the parts CHOSEN, to installing, to tuning & yes...even paying! But that’s just me. I know not everyone can DO on their own. And I don’t expect them to. But we should give the DIY’er that same courtesy.

Lighten up , Francis !LOL
Any defect should be covered by the manufacturer , no matter how big or small . They advertise the accuracy of their guns and they will stand behind it .

If you bought a new truck and it didn't shift , are you going to take it back , or fix it yourself ?

No brainer , send it back .

Dave Hoback
12-13-2021, 12:42 PM
Oh, I didn’t mean anything towards you. :p Sorry it seemed like that. That’s the problem with TEXT; can’t hear the persons voice tone or inflection. I’m simply stating the points of either side. Wasn’t meant as a rebuke.

Who’s Francis? I’m David.

CRJR
12-13-2021, 01:04 PM
Oh, I didn’t mean anything towards you. :p Sorry it seemed like that. That’s the problem with TEXT; can’t hear the persons voice tone or inflection. I’m simply stating the points of either side. Wasn’t meant as a rebuke.

Who’s Francis? I’m David.

We are good , I was just bustin your chops , LOL

Lighten up Francis is from the movie stripes , google it , LOL

Dave Hoback
12-13-2021, 01:09 PM
Ahh, gotchya. ;)

Oh, BTW... I agree with you under warranty. Darn right! Let them fix my car under warranty. But the OP made it clear it was out of warranty. Whether or not they would honor it due to the “China virus” NONSENSE... well, who knows. Doesn’t hurt to check.

GrenGuy
12-13-2021, 02:40 PM
As far as I’m concerned, nothing is out of warranty if it left the factory defective. What if Ricky did not have the ability to work on this tomato stake Himself? Then what would He do with it? Until that rifle is disassembled, “no one” knows how extensive the damage is. And that would certainly void everything, letting Savage off the hook. Along with what we already know, the barrel could be damaged, the action could be damaged, even twisted. Ricky, call Savage and don’t take no for an answer.

This issue has nothing to do with our hot rod days, or our abilities as Savage mongers.

J.Baker
12-13-2021, 04:20 PM
Well as Dave already pointed out above - the cost to ship the rifle back to Savage would likely exceed the cost of a new recoil lug (I wouldn't waste my money on a so-called "precision" nut - just surface grind the face of the one that came on the rifle).

Been awhile since I've disassembled an AccuStock model - do the current recoil lugs on them not have the alignment pin that mates to the corresponding notch in the action face to prevent such an alignment issue?

GrenGuy
12-13-2021, 04:33 PM
The situation, as described by the OP deserves a Shipping Sticker from Savage, In My Opinion.

Hopefully Rickyn613 has ample advice to proceed.

CRJR
12-13-2021, 04:38 PM
Well as Dave already pointed out above - the cost to ship the rifle back to Savage would likely exceed the cost of a new recoil lug (I wouldn't waste my money on a so-called "precision" nut - just surface grind the face of the one that came on the rifle).

Been awhile since I've disassembled an AccuStock model - do the current recoil lugs on them not have the alignment pin that mates to the corresponding notch in the action face to prevent such an alignment issue?

Your assuming the recoil lug is the whole problem , but you don't know . What if you grind on the lug and thats not the problem ? What if the barrel is bad ?

Why assume anything ?

South Prairie jim
12-13-2021, 09:08 PM
What if the action /threads are damaged ?

justinp61
12-13-2021, 10:57 PM
I had a mdl16 in 260 that wouldn’t shoot worth a crap no matter what ammo I tried. Finally a bore scope revealed what looked like gouges and balls of stainless in the barrel. I called savage and instructed to send it back, they put a new barrel on it at no charge. The gun was well over two years old.