PDA

View Full Version : To buy a savage 110 elite prescion or not

Pages : [1] 2

Steady
12-10-2021, 08:19 AM
Well I was about to purchase a new 110 savage elite precision in .223 rem
Then I read terrible reviews on YouTube and forums about the extraction problems the rifles have out of the box. I also read about the various cute to this and the long waiting times to TRY and get the rifle repaired OR NOT by savage. Please shed more light on the matter before I spend $1700 on a rifle that needs repair out of the box. I must say I love the rifle configuration and acurracy but "come on ". Oh, and the only cartridge I read about was the 6.5 CM. I am planing on buying a .223 rem. Thanks ahead of time.

Dave Hoback
12-10-2021, 09:19 AM
There are quite easy fixes for everything people complain about with Savage. But then, if the buyer is unable to do the smallest of parts replacement/modification or happen too know someone who can help/have a gunsmith, SOME calibers can be frustrating.

That said, 223 is NOT one of the “touchy” It feeds & ejects without issue. Like many others here, I have been a long time fan of Savage 10/110 Actions. But I build my own. The only thing I that would make me want to spend the money for it is that it’s hooded Action. It’s the most rigid of all Savage Actions. But honestly, you can spend FAR less on another Savage in 223 & get exquisite accuracy.

I’d say for those looking for turn key operation close in that price range, the Tikka T3X A1, Howa APC & even the REM PCR have similar rigs. Everyone online will say nicer things things to you, and give you more attention for getting one of those. If that is what you want.

wbm
12-10-2021, 09:52 AM
The 110 Elite Precision does have more than a few bad reviews and almost all are related to feeding/ejection...especially it seems in the 6.5CM. If I were going to opt for that cartridge, I probably would look at the Ruger.

charlie b
12-10-2021, 10:29 AM
I would first ask why you are looking at that rifle and how are you going to use it.

If this is for informal work and you want the ease of barrel change, then the Savage is a decent choice. But, the Ruger RPR also has an easy to change barrel as well. I do not know anything about their reliability issues.

I only own two Savages, an Axis and a 12BVSS. I would not spend a lot of money on another Savage. I'd probably look at the RPR or Howa for similar cost rifles. At a bit more I'd build a rifle on a custom (or 700) action with a barrel nut type configuration. Why? The barrel. I'd want a premium barrel, Kreiger, Bartlein, etc.

If this is to compete then different story. Go to a match and start talking to people. Take a rifle and shoot. After a few matches you will see if you like it or not and what you might want in a rifle. Join the club if there is one. A member might even loan you a rifle to shoot and then you can really tell what kind of rifle you might want to buy for yourself.

If this is for varmint hunting then the Savage will do fine. As would the RPR, Howa, etc. But, so will an Axis :)

Steady
12-10-2021, 10:52 AM
Well I like to shoot at 100 yards an 400 yards and acurracy is very important. I would like a rifle capable for 1 minute of acurracy at ranges out to 400 yards. At $1700 I would expect that but not extraction problems i have fix out of the box. Again, I lean towards custom rifles as noted but who can do this for me? Are there any precision rifles out there for $2500 that would do it or is that too inexpensive for my goals? Thanks

J.Baker
12-10-2021, 11:52 AM
For what you're wanting to do you would be better served with something like the 110 Tactical, 110 Varmint, 110 Predator or Axis II Precision at around half the cost. The 110 Elite Precision is nothing more than a standard heavy barrel 110 barreled action thrown into a fancy aftermarket chassis that Savage charges a huge premium for, and while the .223 will get you out to 1,000 yards it's far from the ideal cartridge for that kind of work and doesn't really make sense in a rifle configured like the Elite Precision. A 110 Elite Precision in .223 is akin to buying a new C9 Corvette equipped with a 160hp 1.6L 4-banger...it just doesn't make any sense.

Regarding the feeding/extraction issues, those are very cartridge specific and almost always associated with the 6.5 Creedmoor on the Savage platform.

The .223 is a great cartridge for the distances you are looking to shoot. Rather than spending a bunch of extra money for a model designed for a totally different type of shooting than you will be doing, save a good chunk of that money to put towards better glass by going with a model that's geared more towards how you will be using it and the distances you will be shooting.

As for non-Savage options out there, there's plenty of good options so it's really a matter of personal preference and budget. For a mass production factory rifle in .223 I would limit the price tag to $1,000-1,200 tops. Anything costing more than that you'd be better off just building something custom as you will get a far superior rifle in the end for not much more money.

wbm
12-10-2021, 12:01 PM
For what you're wanting to do you would be better served with something like the 110 Tactical

+1

charlie b
12-10-2021, 03:33 PM
If Walmart still offered the heavy barrel Axis models I would point you in that direction. My .223 is still capable of 0.5MOA out to 300yd and less than MOA out to 600yd (if I can dope the wind right :) ). And the barrel likes to be hot, so long days on a hot summer range are no problem.

I don't see a .223 in the 110 tactical, but, I'd look at all the .223 offerings and pick a heavy barrel model that is the cheapest. It will easily shoot less than MOA with handloads and probably with the better factory ammo (Federal Gold Medal, Black Hills, etc) as well.

There are only a couple things that really make a difference in the Savage lineup. Barrel length/contour. Accutrigger (std, varmint or target). Stock is a distant third since unless they have the specific stock you want you will probably end up changing it anyway.

I also notice prices have gone up a LOT in the past 3 years. My 12BVSS was only ~$900 3 yrs ago.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

bhsurf4
12-10-2021, 04:58 PM
I’ve got a Savage precision in 6.5 creedmoor, and extraction is definitely an issue. But it’s so damn accurate!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Txhillbilly
12-10-2021, 06:43 PM
. Again, I lean towards custom rifles as noted but who can do this for me? Are there any precision rifles out there for $2500 that would do it or is that too inexpensive for my goals? Thanks

There are several choices for a custom build that can easily come in at $2500 or less. Too bad you just missed some really good Black Friday deals!
American Rifle Co, Bighorn, and Shilen actions use the same barrel threads as Savage, so you can use any custom barrel maker that makes pre-fit savage barrels for them. You can also use any of the Remington style barrel threaded actions, and there are several barrel companies that also do barrel nut pre-fit barrels for them.

I've built two customs using ARC's Nucleus actions. My Gen 1 Nucleus has their Barloc barrel nut system, an X-caliber 22 Creedmoor barrel, KRG Bravo chassis, and a Trigger Tech Diamond trigger. I have around $2k in it, but I got the action / Barloc at the pre-order price so I saved a couple $$$.

https://i.imgur.com/MZkFqJE.jpg

My Gen 2 Nucleus that I just finished has a shouldered Rock Creek cut rifled 223 Remington barrel by Patriot Valley Arms, KRG Bravo chassis, and a Trigger Tech Special trigger. Since I paid retail for this action and had a shouldered barrel made for it, I have about $2500 in this one.

https://i.imgur.com/iHoRWjj.jpg

I also built one using a Shilen DGR action and Shilen select match barrel in 6.5 CM, with a KRG Whiskey 3 chassis, and a Trigger Tech Special trigger. But this one comes in around $3500 with everything.

https://i.imgur.com/D4YGd06.jpg

These prices don't include the scope or rings - They cost more than the rifles!

I did buy another ARC Archimedes action on Black Friday on sale. As you can see, I shoot LH and I have one Savage build that has a RH Model 12 Varmint action. I'm going to take the barrel off of it and put it on the Archimedes action, and build another custom rifle.

Dave Hoback
12-10-2021, 08:05 PM
LOL! I’m gonna take SOOO much heat, even from guys here, after you see my latest rifle going on! :o:(

Txhillbilly
12-10-2021, 09:18 PM
LOL! I’m gonna take SOOO much heat, even from guys here, after you see my latest rifle going on! :o:(

Oh Dave, I'm sure we won't give you too much of a bad time about it!

deadduck357
12-10-2021, 10:41 PM
I've also been tempted by the Elite Precision but wanted it chambered in 6.5-284 or 6.5 PRC or 6.8 Western and so far that hasn't happened.

Newtosavage
12-11-2021, 12:15 AM
I can't imagine a scenario where spending $1700 on a rifle chambered in .223 makes any sense at all.

Dave Hoback
12-11-2021, 12:22 AM
Oh Dave, I'm sure we won't give you too much of a bad time about it!

HAHA... It's going to be among the most unique Savages anyone has ever seen. But I guess people will liken that to being the Thinnist kid at FAT CAMP, ya know? And I know I'll hear, "you'd have better results if you had gone with a Custom Action".. It'll be fun.

Txhillbilly
12-11-2021, 01:22 AM
I can't imagine a scenario where spending $1700 on a rifle chambered in .223 makes any sense at all.

Some of us like to have nice stuff. Now, I'd never pay that kind of money for a factory rifle, but I have no problem doing it on a custom rifle.

And what's wrong with a 223? Cheap to shoot, accurate, and other than a 22 LR, probably one of the most fun cartridges to shoot.

Raydee38
12-11-2021, 07:09 AM
I love mine, it has zero extration problems and shoots great. The chassis alone is almost $1200 if you bought it by itself.

Dave Hoback
12-11-2021, 08:56 AM
It’s like Txhillbilly says. Really we ALL like nice things. Just there are different THINGS we justify dumping money into. I’m getting ready to purchase the most expensive scope I’ve ever owned. At $1600, I’m still having trouble convincing myself. And I know it’s not even top tier! I can’t imagine spending $2500, $3500, $4000+ on Glass! But to some, like Tx, it’s par for the course! (BTW TX, if I could ever do it, I’d have that IOR Valdada you sport.)

It boils down to enjoyment. I see nothing wrong with having an expensive 223. I LOVE 223...one of my favorite cartridges! Although I reserve 223 for my AR’s. Now, I’m my own AR manufacturer, and I use the BEST parts. Given a choice between a Knight’s AR at $2500+ or my custom, which cost me less than HALF that, I’d stick with my own.

Txhillbilly
12-11-2021, 11:49 AM
Dave, You will never regret buying good optics. You're right, I love that IOR Recon scope, that's the most I've ever spent on glass.
Most of my high end optics are bought used for some great savings. The great thing about buying top tier optics used is you will rarely ever loose much money if / when you decide to sell them.

Chewbacca
12-11-2021, 05:52 PM
Got mine on or about Nov 6. While breaking in the barrel I ran into the feed issues. Mine is a 6.5 Creedmoor and they seem to have the most problems. Did the homework, if you call YouTube homework. There are several people on the 65Creedmoor forum who discussed the problem and the guy who discovered the fix is on that forum as well. Took me all of an hour to take out the ejector, hit it with a dremel to take about .004 off the end and put a roughly 45 degree bevel pointed at the firing pin hole (I was slow and very careful). Works great. You can b---- and moan all you want about Savage but Remington, Winchester and just about all manufactures have issues. This fix is EASY. That rifle is just TOO GOOD to trash over the ejector problem. It is really hard for me to believe such small amounts of metal removal both fixed the issue. It's even harder for me to believe that it caused the problem in the first place.

If you really think this is terrible you should have seen my Bergara B14 HMR's bolt issues. They initially sold bolts with parts of the firing pin assembly made out of pot metal. They did fix it and were excellent people to work with but it was a big PITA.