PDA

View Full Version : Mcarbo stock stabilizer

Shakenbake
12-09-2021, 03:11 PM
Just wondering if anyone has used the stock stabilizer kit from mcarbo? I recently came across this and was thinking of giving it a try in my axis 25-06.

bhsurf4
12-13-2021, 06:53 AM
Are you talking about the 3D printed blocks that fit into the polymer Axis stock? If so, I installed them in mine, and it’s definitely more rigid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shakenbake
12-13-2021, 08:46 AM
Yes the blocks is the kit I saw. I was just wondering if it was worth it or to just upgrade to a Boyd’s stock.

bhsurf4
12-13-2021, 09:47 AM
I installed the kit about 3 weeks ago, but still haven’t had a chance to go shoot the rifle. My Axis .308, seems to be the most inconsistent Savage I own, so I’m hoping the blocks help. I’m thinking about going to a Boyd’s stock, or maybe a MDT chasis, but wanted to see if this helps first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J.Baker
12-13-2021, 05:02 PM
Only problem with that kit is that it does nothing to fix the flex points in the stock (recoil lug pocket and the wrist area). Basically all this kit does is fills the voids in the forearm and adds a little weight.

The "stiffening a factory synthetic stock" conundrum has been around longer than this forum has (20+ years) and people have tried every manner and method imaginable to stiffen up their factory stocks to no significant avail. This is because (as noted above) the main flex point in these stocks is at the recoil lug pocket and with the front action screw so close to said pocket there's just not enough material there to offer any strength. Only way you could possibly stiffen up that key point would be to embed a rod that goes the length of the forearm, through the bottom of the recoil lug (would have to notch it) and extend beyond it to the rear by at least an inch or so to bridge that weak point. But, as I said - that's not possible since the front action screw is right there and would be in the way.

The flex in the wrist (even the AccuStock and AccuFit stocks suffer from this) can be reduced with a little ingenuity, some epoxy and a length of all-thread rod, but since you can't remedy the front half why bother messing with the rear half?

The stocks are fine for general plinking/hunting purposes, but if you're serious about small groups and precision accuracy the only legitimate option is to replace them with something better.