PDA

View Full Version : Axis trigger-how light?

Mr.Snerdly
12-08-2021, 02:59 PM
I was going to cut another half coil off my Axis but I measured it and it is just a little over a pound. Is this about as low as you can go without problems? I don't know why but it SEEMS heavy when I shoot it. I have other rifles that actually measure a little more but the perception is that they are lighter when shooting and seem to me to be easier to shoot. I know it is possible to go too far and maybe that is good enough. Opinions?

andyknaster
12-08-2021, 03:04 PM
I was going to cut another half coil off my Axis but I measured it and it is just a little over a pound. Is this about as low as you can go without problems? I don't know why but it SEEMS heavy when I shoot it. I have other rifles that actually measure a little more but the perception is that they are lighter when shooting and seem to me to be easier to shoot. I know it is possible to go too far and maybe that is good enough. Opinions?

I got a kit and lowered mine to 3 pounds. I regularly shoot handguns with triggers between 5 and 10 pounds. I barely put pressure on the trigger and it shoots fine. I think that your ability to manage the trigger is the most important factor. It's a bolt gun, so you don't have to worry about accidentally double tapping, but you don't want to set it so lightly that it goes off before you are ready.

charlie b
12-08-2021, 08:45 PM
It probably needs to be stoned/smoothed properly. Don't attempt if you don't have a good jig to hold angles.

I still shoot mine with the stock trigger at >2lb. I should have it stoned but I kinda like the challenge of a heavier trigger.

Axisfanboy
12-11-2021, 02:34 AM
Never messed with cutting the spring on my Axis, but I did get the Rifle Basix aftermarket trigger. They advertise as getting as low as 14 ounces, and other folks on the internet seem to be able to get, but the lowest I could get mine was 1.5lbs, and even with that it had a tendency to occasionally slam fire when closing the bolt with force. I bumped it up to 2lbs which I think did the trick, but tbh when I’m shooting I always engage the safety before down-bolting. I foresee a Jard trigger in my 2022 rebarreling project.

Mr.Snerdly
12-11-2021, 10:58 AM
I said I cut some coils on it but I think it was another rifle. I did put in a varmint spring from a 110. They are supposed to go to 1 1/2# but on the Axis it is less than that. I measure around 1# but I can't say my gauge is perfectly accurate either. It seems to measure less than my other rifles but the perception is that it is heavier. Don't know what the deal is. It seems perfectly safe at whatever it is, never slam fires and I have taken a small plastic hammer and tapped on it and it won't go off. Naturally, I don't hit it with a 10# sledge but I am quite sure it is safe at the present level.