View Full Version : I need some help/opinions please ?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

Dave Hoback
12-08-2021, 12:14 PM
Well, I’ll be honest... 6mm or 6.5 Creedmoor is likely your least expensive option in a medium level cartridge. Great round & excellent market support. Creedmoor was “relatively” new when I built this last Savage. My background with Savage goes back to 1996, buying my first high power rifle at age 18. From that point, I had several more.. ALL 308Win & 30-06. I knew I was doing 6.5mm on this last Savage build after my accident(and new outlook on life). I chose to do 260 Remington though, because I had already decided beforehand that it would NEVER see anything besides my reloads. I’m still quite happy with that choice & plan to simply go 260AI on my next rebarrel. Even so, when someone asks my opinion on caliber choice, I ask if they plan to reload or factory ammo. If factory ammo is their answer, I ALWAYS recommend Creedmoor. 260 is right for me, but ya just can’t argue with the Creedmoor’s factory & aftermarket support. So that’s my recommendation for you if you don’t plan to stick with the 7mm.

CRJR
12-08-2021, 12:17 PM
Well, I’ll be honest... 6mm or 6.5 Creedmoor is likely your least expensive option in a medium level cartridge. Great round & excellent market support. Creedmoor was “relatively” new when I built this last Savage. My background with Savage goes back to 1996, buying my first high power rifle at age 18. From that point, I had several more.. ALL 308Win & 30-06. I knew I was doing 6.5mm on this last Savage build after my accident(and new outlook on life). I chose to do 260 Remington though, because I had already decided beforehand that it would NEVER see anything besides my reloads. I’m still quite happy with that choice & plan to simply go 260AI on my next rebarrel. Even so, when someone asks my opinion on caliber choice, I ask if they plan to reload or factory ammo. If factory ammo is their answer, I ALWAYS recommend Creedmoor. 260 is right for me, but ya just can’t argue with the Creedmoor’s factory & aftermarket support. So that’s my recommendation for you if you don’t plan to stick with the 7mm.
Thank you !

want2ride
12-08-2021, 07:33 PM
I have changed my Savage 7mm Rem Mag Long Range Hunter into a 7mm Mauser. The parts list is as follows and should be identical to what you need for a 6.5 Creedmoor.
Barrel
Aftermarket Barrel Nut(not required, but recommended)
aftermarket recoil Lug (not required, but recommended)
Bolt Head
Magazine box
Spring
Follower
Now i only went with a 7x57 Mauser because of the nostalgia , and Savage doesn't offer one. If i was to keep a barrel with the intent of hunting ever again with it, i would surely go with a new rifle because of the extensive parts list. I have seen a 6.5 Creedmoor at the local sporting goods store just today, but i couldn't tell you the last time i have seen 6mm Creedmoor. Before covid the 6mm Creedmoor may have been getting more and more popular, but unless you load your own it just isn't going to be as good of option as the 6.5 for a while.

CRJR
12-08-2021, 08:02 PM
I have changed my Savage 7mm Rem Mag Long Range Hunter into a 7mm Mauser. The parts list is as follows and should be identical to what you need for a 6.5 Creedmoor.
Barrel
Aftermarket Barrel Nut(not required, but recommended)
aftermarket recoil Lug (not required, but recommended)
Bolt Head
Magazine box
Spring
Follower
Now i only went with a 7x57 Mauser because of the nostalgia , and Savage doesn't offer one. If i was to keep a barrel with the intent of hunting ever again with it, i would surely go with a new rifle because of the extensive parts list. I have seen a 6.5 Creedmoor at the local sporting goods store just today, but i couldn't tell you the last time i have seen 6mm Creedmoor. Before covid the 6mm Creedmoor may have been getting more and more popular, but unless you load your own it just isn't going to be as good of option as the 6.5 for a while.

AMMOSEEK shows a shit ton of 6mm -
https://lockedloaded.com/product/hornady-81391-match-6mm-creedmoor-108-gr-eld-match-20-bx-10-cs

charlie b
12-08-2021, 08:35 PM
Yep, I think you're on the right track there.

If, or when, you have more free time then you can look into reloading. I reloaded on the kitchen table for several years. The original Lee Turret press came with a maple box that turned into a base for the press. Clamped to a table and I could work in the kitchen or even a coffee table in the living room. Sadly they stopped including those. Sometimes I wish I had kept that thing :(

By the time you are ready maybe the powder and primer situation will be resolved as well.

And do practice with the .223 as well. I find it is great for learning how to figure wind drift.

Dave Hoback
12-08-2021, 09:39 PM
I do agree... 223 is AWESOME. Just that it belongs in my AR, LOL!

CRJR
12-08-2021, 11:53 PM
Yep, I think you're on the right track there.

If, or when, you have more free time then you can look into reloading. I reloaded on the kitchen table for several years. The original Lee Turret press came with a maple box that turned into a base for the press. Clamped to a table and I could work in the kitchen or even a coffee table in the living room. Sadly they stopped including those. Sometimes I wish I had kept that thing :(

By the time you are ready maybe the powder and primer situation will be resolved as well.

And do practice with the .223 as well. I find it is great for learning how to figure wind drift.
I do practice , with my AR and my Model 16 in .243 as well . The outside targets are with .243 and the middle target is the AR at 100 yards last Saturday .
https://i.ibb.co/pP6C53X/IMG-1356.jpg (https://ibb.co/DbP3T7K)
https://i.ibb.co/WF5cGtY/IMG-1358.jpg (https://ibb.co/TR2HYLF)
https://i.ibb.co/8Xs8gSy/IMG-1360.jpg (https://ibb.co/0Q2Jyd0)

Fuj'
12-09-2021, 08:22 AM
Should be getting 3/8" groups with your AR if that's a RR-EOP. Mine does easily
with IMI 77's Mod1 OTM's. 62 chucks and counting.....

Fuj'
12-09-2021, 08:30 AM
And from the original post.....Take a look at the 6.5 PRC No bolt swap. They should do this
round in 7mm.

Dave Hoback
12-09-2021, 08:37 AM
If they did, it would likely be more like the 300 PRC! I still can’t figure that one out:confusion: One the size of a SHORT magnum...and one the size of an ULTRA magnum..BOTH with the “PRC” head stamp. OooooKay, new one on me.

CRJR
12-09-2021, 08:44 AM
Should be getting 3/8" groups with your AR if that's a RR-EOP. Mine does easily
with IMI 77's Mod1 OTM's. 62 chucks and counting.....

I know , you're right , but I did kinda rush through that round . I'm shooting PMC X-TAC 62 gr green tips . I'm having problems staying in a routine , or developing a routine I should say . I've always been a hunter , target shooting is all new to me . I do want to improve , I'll get better .
Love the Rock River though .

CRJR
12-09-2021, 08:45 AM
And from the original post.....Take a look at the 6.5 PRC No bolt swap. They should do this
round in 7mm.
Thank you ! I will check that out .

Dave Hoback
12-09-2021, 10:06 AM
A 3/8” group is exceptional for an AR15. And we do see 1/4” examples as well. However, those groups would not be seen from standard ammunition. Certainly not PMC... My goal with ARs I build is 1moa or better. As long as it does that consistently, I’m happy. From my memory experience, Internet “Accuracy” claims are among the best yarns from the AR15 masses, LOL! Seems like everyone is hanging out sub 1/2” groups with ease! And with m193 ammo, no less, LOL! :rolleyes:

CRJR
12-09-2021, 10:45 AM
A 3/8” group is exceptional for an AR15. And we do see 1/4” examples as well. However, those groups would not be seen from standard ammunition. Certainly not PMC... My goal with ARs I build is 1moa or better. As long as it does that consistently, I’m happy. From my memory experience, Internet “Accuracy” claims are among the best yarns from the AR15 masses, LOL! Seems like everyone is hanging out sub 1/2” groups with ease! And with m193 ammo, no less, LOL! :rolleyes:

Thats why I posted the pic of my target , I'm the most honest guy you will meet . I'm the weak link here , the guns are capable of shooting much better than I can .
I'm trying to get a routine where I shoot in sync with my breathing , and basically relax behind the gun .
It'll come I'm sure .
The shots with my .243 were with a 100 gr Nosler soft tip bullet , I'm not sure if thats the optimum cartridge for that gun , but it was all I could find at the time , Ya know ?

Dave Hoback
12-09-2021, 03:14 PM
HEY! I thought I was the the most honest you’ll meet?....but here...all this time, it’s been YOU?? :confused: Whoa!

J.Baker
12-10-2021, 12:26 PM
i know you like your 7mm, but a .223 will get you 500yd+ experience and better ammo price and availability. reloading is almost a must for true long range accuracy.

Sweet Jesus, Mary & Joseph! Look who just came crawling out of the woodwork. Need help clearing the dust and cobwebs off that username Greg? LOL

charlie b
12-10-2021, 03:45 PM
Thats why I posted the pic of my target , I'm the most honest guy you will meet . I'm the weak link here , the guns are capable of shooting much better than I can .
I'm trying to get a routine where I shoot in sync with my breathing , and basically relax behind the gun .
It'll come I'm sure .
The shots with my .243 were with a 100 gr Nosler soft tip bullet , I'm not sure if thats the optimum cartridge for that gun , but it was all I could find at the time , Ya know ?Look up some info on shooting techniques as well. They are not rocket science but it is a lot of things, each of which adds up.

A good rest is also key for best performance. For development work I use a bench rest and good rear bag. A good bipod, like a Sinclair, is probably better. A Harris or similar bipod is just not solid enough for me. That way I know what the gun/ammo can do. If I miss it is my fault :)

PS the .223 and .243 are excellent tools to learn with. I shoot my .223 Axis out to 600yd. Yes, the ammo makes a huge difference. If you can find it. Black Hills and Federal Gold medal use the 69gn Sierra Match king. The 77gn SMK if your barrel is a 7 or 8 twist.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

CRJR
12-10-2021, 05:43 PM
Look up some info on shooting techniques as well. They are not rocket science but it is a lot of things, each of which adds up.

A good rest is also key for best performance. For development work I use a bench rest and good rear bag. A good bipod, like a Sinclair, is probably better. A Harris or similar bipod is just not solid enough for me. That way I know what the gun/ammo can do. If I miss it is my fault :)

PS the .223 and .243 are excellent tools to learn with. I shoot my .223 Axis out to 600yd. Yes, the ammo makes a huge difference. If you can find it. Black Hills and Federal Gold medal use the 69gn Sierra Match king. The 77gn SMK if your barrel is a 7 or 8 twist.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk
I did some research before , read some stuff on Sniperhide , but didn't really want to join there , lots of drama , or so it seemed , LOL .

But I did find a couple articles I saved with useful stuff .

Thanks for the suggestions !

charlie b
12-10-2021, 08:39 PM
YW

Have fun shooting!!

South Prairie jim
12-15-2021, 11:38 AM
I'm just trying to have some fun and improve my shooting , but toy with shooting longer distances . Now I have a 110 Long Range Hunter in 7mm rem mag and have been shooting at 100/200 yards , but want to try longer ranges , like 600/1000 .

But , trying to find match grade ammo in 7mm rem mag is impossible right now , and expensive . So I thinking of buying a barrel in a different caliber , say 6mm Creedmoor . It looks like i could buy a barrel and a case of match grade ammo in 6mm Cr for the price of a case of 7mm rem mag .
What are your thoughts ? Keeping in mind price of ammo and availability , without reloading , what would you do ?

https://i.ibb.co/V2btLjz/IMG-1330.jpg (https://ibb.co/6gGmynT)
I would go with the 6mm and .473 bolt face, you’ll have more long rang suitable caliber options with that bolt face and lots of excellent bullets available.