PDA

View Full Version : How (where) to buy a Savage .308 F/TR

Pages : [1] 2

kfr01
11-24-2010, 08:54 PM
My friend and I each want to buy an F/TR in .308.

The savage dealers in Milwaukee, WI are sold out of the .308 F/TR and either (a) require me to plunk down full price for an unknown ship date ("anywhere from 2 weeks to 3 months") or (b) try to sell me other stuff they have in stock instead.

I'll let them hold my $1k+ for an unknown period of time if that's really what it takes, but obviously I'd prefer to receive a product (or at least a solid ship date) for my money.

Anyone know of any stocking dealers in Wisconsin? (I'm willing to drive) Or an internet retailer that has some in stock and could work with a local shop? Any suggestions?

hailstone
11-24-2010, 09:11 PM
Not familar with an F/TR what model is it and how is it equipped?

northlander
11-24-2010, 09:12 PM
I have been unable to locate the Model 12 F/TR in 308 but I can offer you a pair of Savage Model 12 Benchrest in 308. These will have the Single Shot 29" 308 Barrels. I can offer you and your friend these at $1050.00 + S&h to your local FFL, interested?

Jim Briggs
NSS

kfr01
11-24-2010, 11:06 PM
_Very_ interesting. Thanks for the response.

Any opinions out there on the F/TR versus the Benchrest. Given the relatively open rules of F/TR competition, the benchrest is nearly the same gun. I was somewhat interested in the cheek rest and extra inch (30" barrel) on the F/TR.

Northlander --- any idea on when the F/TR will be available?

tiny68
11-24-2010, 11:23 PM
The Benchrest is a dual port model (RB-LP-RE). I think the F/TR is a RP/RE. The stock on the BR has a 3" forearm on the BR model. I personally don't like the stock on the F/TR model at all. I would strongly encourage you to take a look at the Model 12 Palma rifle in a 308. I really like that stock with adjustable cheek piece. Gene Sears in El Reno, OK, has 2 of the Palma M12s in 308. They also don't have any F/TRs 308s in stock. They do have a couple of the F/TRs in 223.

Luck in your search, Tim

northlander
11-25-2010, 09:45 AM
The Savage Model 12 F/TR Rifles are in short supply most of the time. It took me almost two weeks to locate one in a 223 for a shooter here in MN about three months ago. This time of year Savage stops shipping firearms until just before the first of the new year. Two reasons, this dries up the market prior to the 2011 guns being shipped and the rifles that Savage does ship late in 2010 are still part of their 2010 sales. Doing this they arrive very early in 2011 and at the 2011 pricing. Savage has taken a 6% - 8% pricing increase every year now for at least the last three years. Why you ask, because they can. Their market appeal (quality and unique features) continue to propel them yet another step beyond the competitors almost every year.

Jim Briggs
NSS

kfr01
11-25-2010, 10:00 AM
Interesting ...

I think we're set on trying to find the F/TR. Looks like we'll just have to wait. I can't tell from Savage's catalog, but it seems like the benchrest does not include a bipod rail like the F/TR. True?

Northlander: if you see any out there, please let me know. Assuming we haven't found them already, you'll have a sale. Thanks again for your insight ... that's a lot more than the local dealers were able to tell me. Do you have a website or a catalog of items you sell? I'm sure we'll need some goodies to make the guns range-ready.

Cheers & happy thanksgiving

earl39
11-25-2010, 05:26 PM
Just my personal opinion but i bought one of the early f/tr rifles and i think you would be time and money ahead to buy the action and aftermarket barrel from Jim and build them. Then you can put whatever stock you like on them. Savage will sell you a stock if you like the factory stock. i made the mistake of looking inside my factory railroad tracked barrel with a bore scope and went straight to Jim with an order for a new barrel and i don't regret it one bit.

Gary

Nefarioud
11-25-2010, 05:36 PM
I Bought a 12BR Dual port and switched the stock to one of these: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=324675

http://media.midwayusa.com/ProductImages/Large/324675.jpg

It is the same stock as my LRPV RBLP, Which is awesome. I know it's another $300 but this feels much better than my buddy's F/TR.

Balljoint
11-25-2010, 07:12 PM
Would the Savage Palma rifle make a better fit has same action and trigger and a 13 twist Vs a 12 twist barrel also an adjustable butt and adj. check rest, when i purchased my F/TR i set aside the factory check rest and installed a Karsten Adj. cheek rest much better fit for me.

kfr01
11-27-2010, 05:45 PM
Just my personal opinion but i bought one of the early f/tr rifles and i think you would be time and money ahead to buy the action and aftermarket barrel from Jim and build them. Then you can put whatever stock you like on them. Savage will sell you a stock if you like the factory stock. i made the mistake of looking inside my factory railroad tracked barrel with a bore scope and went straight to Jim with an order for a new barrel and i don't regret it one bit.

Gary

Gary:

This will be my first long distance rifle and I hadn't really considered something custom. Are there any online resources for learning about getting started with custom builds?

earl39
11-27-2010, 08:11 PM
Gary:

This will be my first long distance rifle and I hadn't really considered something custom. Are there any online resources for learning about getting started with custom builds?
[/quote]

Yes sir there is and it is right here. anything you need to know about putting a savage together can be found here with nothing more than a search or by asking. i know putting a rifle together the first time can be a little scary but a savage is the GEICO of the rifle industry.... so easy even a cave man can put it together. and since you and your friend both want one you can get by with just one go/no-go gauge set and one barrel wrench. build one for each of you and have the tools to rebarrel later or build something else. i have now built 3. two f/tr rifles and one 338-06. guess you could say it is addictive. not really trying to talk you into it but i really think you would be happier with a custom rifle that you build yourself even if it cost a little more. the aftermarket barrel is well worth it if for no other reason than time spent cleaning the barrel is cut way down so shooting time increases. ask around on here and use the search because i will be the first to tell you to take anything you hear from only one person with a case of morton's salt.

Gary

barthmonster
11-28-2010, 12:46 PM
hoping to do something like this myself, possibly with the 'Target' (solid steel bottom) action though...

http://www.westernshooter.com/2009/12/how-to-build-or-rebarrel-savage-rifle.html

Rifleman51
11-28-2010, 01:57 PM
I had my long range rifle made out of a model 10 .308. Savagegunsmithing did the work and the result was more than excellent.

The smith, Scott, holds the unofficial worlds record, shot by one of his customers on a Savage. The guy put 10 shots into 24 inches at 3000 yds. It was a club shoot, not and NRA sponsored shoot. Scott designed the bullets and had them CNC machined from bronze metal

This guy builds the best long range Savage rifles I have seen. If your looking for a great long range Savage, Check this guys rifles out. He will also get you the rifle, any scope, mounts and rings at wholesale if you have him do one of his accuracy jobs. He is one of the few Mastergunsmiths left.

There is no rifle better than a properly set up savage for long range shooting. You can spend really big bucks on a custom made action, and it's just a waste of money. It's precision machining of the action, mated with a top quality barrel fitted perfectly to the right stock. It's still not cheap, but cost far less to have a winning Savage rifle built than a full custom. Savage rifles simply are the best.

John K

Dennis
11-28-2010, 02:43 PM
There is no rifle better than a properly set up savage for long range shooting. You can spend really big bucks on a custom made action, and it's just a waste of money. It's precision machining of the action, mated with a top quality barrel fitted perfectly to the right stock. It's still not cheap, but cost far less to have a winning Savage rifle built than a full custom. Savage rifles simply are the best.

AGREE

I have a $4k plus custom built MPI 308 rifle. Do a search on MPI rifles and you will find their website! Don't get me wrong, it's a fine rifle!

I have a FCP Savage 308, I bedded the stock, tweaked the trigger!

It's a toss up as to which one I will bring to a 600 yard shoot! I have shot better scores with my Savage 308 with factory ammo (because I recieved late notice and didn't have time to get 80 rounds ready) than most shooter who came out their with their custom builds and handloaded ammo!

Believe me when I say people come down to me and want to know what I am shooting! Most walk away scratching their head!

Savage gunsmiths are some of the best and are not bad on their prices! I will and have called them several times. Best people around to deal with considering you can't get NOBODY else from other manufactures to even answer!

bobn
11-28-2010, 10:21 PM
check your pms...thanks bobn

bigbada
11-30-2010, 06:54 AM
http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,37508.0.html

geargrinder
11-30-2010, 10:28 PM
http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,37508.0.html

He's not a paid member. He can't get to the classified posts.

sha-ul
12-01-2010, 12:37 AM
Hello, is this thing on? Tap, tap, tap..... ???

If your not a paid member you can't access the classifieds. Not even from a link.

ok, he's eyeballing the lure, play it a bit, maybe he'll bite ;D

kfr01
12-01-2010, 09:47 PM
Does anyone know if the Benchrest has a scope rail?

Any opinions on whether the 1" shorter barrel on the Benchrest makes a lick of difference?

Thanks for the classifieds guys, I'm still mulling things over.