PDA

View Full Version : Constant scope woes

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Lyndino
12-01-2021, 05:39 PM
Hey all.

I have a question and hoping one of you can make sense of my issue.
I have a model 11 chambered in .308 and I noticed this thing kicks like a mule. I've compared it to my brother's Savage Edge .308 and my friends Remington 700 30-06 and easily / by far my model 11 is a shoulder destroyer.
The recoil I can handle with aftermarket pads but I can't keep scopes from failing internally.

Buddy told me it could be the barrel causing irregular placement but if I put on a new scope it usually lasts about 2 boxes of ammo and then goes crazy.

From cheap scopes on Amazon to a $600 Leupold.
On my brother's Savage Edge he still has the Bushnell that came with it as a package and I know I've gone through 2 of those over the years.

I'm not rough with my equipment at all so I'm quite confused.

Ideas?

Lyndino
12-01-2021, 05:46 PM
Forgot to mention that I've cleaned the rifle religiously and ran a bore snake and brass roots through many many times. Patches come out clean in the end.

charlie b
12-01-2021, 05:55 PM
I wonder if the barrel has an odd whip to it due to contour?

Does it shoot well or do the scope problems dominate?

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

charlie b
12-01-2021, 05:56 PM
PS Savage barrels tend to be copper mines. Try a good copper solvent after cleaning out the powder fouling. Won't make any difference in recoil but might improve groups.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

celltech
12-01-2021, 06:38 PM
Is it the scope, or is the mount crappy and coming loose?

Dave Hoback
12-01-2021, 07:49 PM
Yeah, sounds odd. I’m wondering to, about your mounts/rings. All too often people get a halfway decent scope then put JUNK rail/rings & wonder why it doesn’t shoot.

I’ve had a few 111 & a 116 in 30-06, and recoil was stout. But that first 111 way back when, the stock combo Simmons 3-9x40 scope stayed true it’s entire life.

I have to say, I’m skeptical of a Leupold failing from a 308’s recoil. That’s sounds suspect to me. Seriously...... 308 Win in a LIGHT, plastic stock with a steel butt pad, STILL isn’t what I would call unbearable recoil. My suspect alarms are going off right now.

ninner
12-01-2021, 08:40 PM
Have you checked headspace, I know it sounds weird but I bought a 243 years ago and the headspace was too tight and it kicked like a mule, once I sent it back and the factory corrected it recoil was significantly less. You should at least see cratered primers if this is the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fordoldfart
12-01-2021, 10:43 PM
Yes definitely check the head space. Had Remington in 270 W that kicked like a mule. Head spaced it and it was way to loose. Had to send it back to be repaired.

Lyndino
12-02-2021, 02:54 AM
When mounting a new scope it groups beautifully but all of a sudden it will go wonky.

Lyndino
12-02-2021, 02:57 AM
Hoppes #9 bore cleaner, let it sit for a good 20 minutes or so a couple of times. Brush and bore snake. Comes out clean after write a few patches in the end.

The thing is is that it groups well with a new scope.

Lyndino
12-02-2021, 02:59 AM
Bases are whatever came on the gun, Weaver detachable top mount rings.
I checked those as well and they were good and tight.

Lyndino
12-02-2021, 03:20 AM
I think I'll take it to a gunsmith and check the headspace I guess.

Dave Hoback
12-02-2021, 07:12 AM
I think it's your bases/rings. 308 doesn't have the recoil energy to destroy the innards of a decent scope. Bet if your brother put one of your "failing" scope on his Edge, it would be just fine. Is this your first high power rifle? Not that it's bad...just again, 308 while it has a stiff recoil, it simply does NOT have the energy to destroy a scope. Many guys here are shooting the Ultra Mags. A 7mm RUM makes a 308 feel like a 22! Here's a video showing recoil difference among several... watch the 7 RUM & then 338 Lapua! And scopes hold just fine with these. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRqLlWxbBrg

olddav
12-02-2021, 09:03 AM
You may have a “boat load” (very technical term) of stress on the scope. Just to be sure that’s not the case may I suggest that you remove the caps from the rings, then install only the front cap and look for a gap between the scope and rear ring.
If there is no gap then remove the front cap and install the rear cap only and check for a gap between the scope and ring in front.

Lyndino
12-02-2021, 09:10 AM
I understand that, it's the reason why I'm so confused.

Lyndino
12-02-2021, 09:11 AM
I'll try that before sending the scope away.

ninner
12-02-2021, 09:34 AM
If you have access to a scope alignment tool give that a try. The rings may not be aligned and the force on the scope could be the problem. Lapping the rings may help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yobuck
12-02-2021, 09:42 AM
I think I'll take it to a gunsmith and check the headspace I guess.
Id also be having him check the scope ring alignment.
OldDav is probably correct with the scope alignment.
The old Weaver type 2 pc bases worked very well for lots of people for many years, and they still do.
But if the holes are not drilled properly causing misalignment issues, the scope tube is being tweeked.
Have somebody with the proper tools check it out and the issue will probably go away.

Lyndino
12-03-2021, 10:57 AM
https://youtu.be/jt8klLifLY4

I'd show a picture of a piece of paper barely sliding in both ends while the opposite ring is fastened but I don't know how to do that.
Also, the front doesn't have any play like the rear when the rear ring is fastened.
Lastly, the rings slide on and off the scope with the need for paper to avoid scratching the scope, I thought maybe they were 30mm (for some odd reason) but they are in fact 1".

Dave Hoback
12-03-2021, 11:06 AM
Sooo.... post #13?

I recommend getting a quality 1-piece Picatinny rail...(Leupold, Warne, EGW...take your pick), and a set high quality rings. Your scope “woes” will miraculously disappear.

As far as recoil.... well, that is a bit subjective, but the video I posted shows the range that 308 falls in.