PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Swaps

Pages : [1] 2

JoeJoe
12-01-2021, 11:43 AM
Considering a 2nd barrel for my M10 instead of a new rifle. Knowing I have the ability to swap barrels, this plan makes sense, but I'm wondering.......for those that do swap barrels, do you really switch back and forth that often?

Wayne Nixon
12-01-2021, 11:52 AM
The initial cost is a little high because you will need tools (barrel wrench, vise and go/no go gauges) in addition to the barrels. I have two - one for short action and one for long action and several different caliber barrels. Don’t swap real often but can in about an hour and have different rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoeJoe
12-01-2021, 12:05 PM
Actually, I replaced the factory barrel on this rifle a couple years ago, so I have all the needed tools. It's looking more and more like I can't go wrong with a new prefit and gauges.

celltech
12-01-2021, 12:14 PM
I never switch back and forth...tend to take the more $$$ route and build up another gun.

Dave Hoback
12-01-2021, 12:31 PM
NOOOOPE! Never did with the AR15 either. But then, I’m not a caliber whore. Not that there’s anything wrong with that...just not my bag. I’m a creature of Habit! ALL 223 shooting is with my ARs, and I am partial to 260 REM in my Savage. I change the barrel when it’s burnt out. And if I HAD to have another caliber in a Savage, I’d build a completely NEW rifle.

wbm
12-01-2021, 01:16 PM
do you really switch back and forth that often?

Yes.

charlie b
12-01-2021, 02:45 PM
Do not see me swapping any.

But, I might keep the barrel as a just in case kinda thing.

I could see someone with a very specific and expensive stock/action wanting to change barrels. I remember seeing video of someone at a match changing calibers. Don't remember if it was a bench or Fclass or F/TR. Could have been someone changing between F and F/TR.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

Fuj'
12-01-2021, 03:26 PM
Timely thread. Last night I spun off a fire forming barrel, then spun up a fresh one for
break in. Hopefully I'll get a few more barrels off my reamer.

GaCop
12-03-2021, 08:21 AM
Yes. Same here.

cowboybart
12-06-2021, 12:28 PM
I don't.
I see the advantage of a Savage is being able to buy a cheap 270 or 243 or something else that I don't want, then spin on a 260 or 6.5-06 or 35 Whelen something that I do want. I have never swapped uppers on an AR and somehow I accumulated enough Contender and Encore frames to match the number of barrels that I have.
I have extra barrels for my Dan Wessons, but once settled in I usually don't swap them.

Newtosavage
12-06-2021, 12:38 PM
I have set up a "switch barrel" short action Lightweight Storm and toggle between a 7mm-08 Shaw barrel that I picked up for $249 (damn thing shoots lights-out) and a custom X-Caliber barrel in .284 Win. I wanted just a bit more "punch" for when I hunt elk, hence the .284 Win, but if I only have a deer tag, the 7mm-08 gets the job.

Takes me more time to re-zero the scope than it does to swap the barrels.

Wayne Nixon
12-06-2021, 12:40 PM
That’s why I’m looking for a 35 Whelan or 338 Federal, not that I would shoot every day but want to try for deer hunting.

GrenGuy
12-06-2021, 02:25 PM
^^ I love My 358 Winchester ^^

And sometimes I switch barrels just because I am tired of Shuffle Board :cool:

want2ride
12-06-2021, 07:07 PM
No, I have only swapped a barrel on 2 Savage rifles and installed 2 barrels on Bighorn actions with Barrel nuts. I did swap a barrel back to the original barrel on one of the savages when i decided to put the Shilen on a bighorn because it deserved a better action. Then the proof that was on the bighorn went on yet another Savage action... but we are looking at over a year between the swaps.

jims
12-06-2021, 11:15 PM
I have switched a number of barrels but never back to the original.

JoeJoe
12-07-2021, 12:26 PM
Well.....I took the .308 in question out to shoot over the weekend (my first time shooting it with the Oryx chassis)......this swap barrel plan is now mostly in the trash, as the current rifle/chassis setup is SWEET. With all that said, I have a 25 yr old M700 in 22-250 that will likely become the owner of a new prefit in 6.5 Creedmoor (assuming I can get the action and barrel separated).

Newtosavage
12-07-2021, 03:14 PM
Well.....I took the .308 in question out to shoot over the weekend (my first time shooting it with the Oryx chassis)......this swap barrel plan is now mostly in the trash, as the current rifle/chassis setup is SWEET. With all that said, I have a 25 yr old M700 in 22-250 that will likely become the owner of a new prefit in 6.5 Creedmoor (assuming I can get the action and barrel separated).

If you make a relief cut with a Dremel cutoff wheel, it's not hard to separate a barrel from an action. That is of course if you don't plan to reuse the barrel.

Beowoulf2000
12-07-2021, 07:28 PM
If you want to give the barrel-swap idea another try, consider ordering a Remington pre-fit with a barrel nut (what a lot of folks call a Remage). A google search on “Remington pre-fit barrel nut” or “Remage pre-fit” will show a lot of options. It seems to be an increasingly popular configuration across the array of factory and custom receivers. I haven’t done it myself but I’ve spent considerable time thinking about it:)

Dave Hoback
12-07-2021, 07:45 PM
That’s what he was talking about, LOL!:stupid:

Nomosendero
12-16-2021, 02:33 PM
The initial cost is a little high because you will need tools (barrel wrench, vise and go/no go gauges) in addition to the barrels. I have two - one for short action and one for long action and several different caliber barrels. Don’t swap real often but can in about an hour and have different rifle.

Good to know