PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Removal pictures?

Jeromeo
11-24-2010, 11:58 AM
Alright, I want to see pictures from the guys who use a homemade vice using wood blocks to remove their barrels. I am just a tad confused on how you guys are positioning things and I'd like to see it before trying it. So for all of you that don't use an actual barrel vice or action wrench please post pictures on your methods. Thanks

chestsprings
11-24-2010, 07:38 PM
1st picture: all in inches.

Scrap piece of treated 2 X 6 X 18
Glued on it, a 1 X 3 X 6 (oak)
On the 1 x 3 X 6, I glued on 1 X 2 X 6 ( oak)
The top two pieces are glued together, 1 X 2 X 6 ( oak)
Clamped them in a vice, & drilled a hole in the center.
Took two ½ inch bolts from the bottom thru all of the wood.
Topped off with a piece of ¼ X 2” X 6” flat steel plate.

All this was scrap I had laying around. I’m a pack rat.

Cost : ??

2nd picture:

My b-i-l is a machinist, & has a garage full of equipment. Said he could improve on my wooden one. Heck, any one could improve on what I make.

Base: ¼ X 2” X 8 “ base
On it is a 4 X 4 X 1 ¼ inch unit which is held together by allen bolts. The center wood inserts can be replaced. he tapered the wood inserts. You can see the allen wrench on the top. As you can see between the two, mine is a “put together”, & the one my b-i-l made is a really nice unit.

The nice thing about the wooden one is when I go to a range to shoot, I take two wood clamps, & I can clamp it “where ever”, even on a plastic table. Changing my three barrels is a snap.

The metal one my b-i-l made , I have to use a vise as the base is to small to get clamps on it, so I usually use it at home.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d120/chestsprings/DSCN4209.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d120/chestsprings/DSCN4211.jpg

Jeromeo
11-24-2010, 08:40 PM
nice, any chance you could show me a picture of an action in the wooden vice?

chestsprings
11-24-2010, 09:29 PM
I never put the action in a vice.

I only put the barrel in the wooden or metal vice that I show.

I know people have stated they can't get a factory barrel off using some thing like I have. I don't doubt them, but I get mine off. I make sure I use "kroil", or a penetrating oil, let it set for a while, then as others have stated, give the barrel wrench a good hard whack.

once I initially remove the barrel from the action, I have never had any problem in removing/changing any other barrels.

Of course, I don't tighten the barrels back on as tight as the factory one. not even close.

Jeromeo
11-25-2010, 01:45 PM
Ok great. So when you put the barrel in the wood vice, is it gripping close to the nut or near the muzzle?

chestsprings
11-25-2010, 07:35 PM
I put the barrel chamber end as close to the wooden blocks as possible ( depends on the nut) .

my set up is a VLP, that SSS T&T. A SSS trigger, & two bolts, a 223 face, & a 22-250 face.

at present time, three barrels. Shilen & McGowan. 223, 22-250, & Rem 6mm.

a Bushnell Elite 4200, 8 X 32. Farrell base, Burris rings.

I never take the scope off, as the wrench just fits between the barrel & the obj. lens of the scope.

I put which ever barrel is on the rifle , as far as I can , close to the wooden blocks. I do have to take the action out of the stock. I only use it as a single shoot.

I tighten up the wooden blocks, use the wrench to "break" the nut. screw off the barrel, screw on the new barrel. head space it, put it back in the stock, adjust the scope ( close as I can, based on previous shooting to know where the rifle hits with the particular barrel/caliber) put in the bolt that fits the barrel/caliber, adjust the scope at 100 yds., & shoot.