PDA

View Full Version : New From CO/Mod 12

mytfarms
11-19-2021, 01:06 AM
Hi from Eastern Colorado.

I'm a young dad out here, grew up on a ranch smoking coyotes with my dad's 22-250. Couldn't tell you the make and model of the gun or the scope either one, but it was accurate and deadly.

Lately, all of my friends have gotten into the AR-15 craze, and good for them. My best friend brought his $1500 rifle and $1000+ scope down for a little spotlighting expedition on the ranch, and he's a heck of a shot with a nice set up. He's been bugging me to get one.

My wife and I just welcomed #3, and I couldn't be happier, more blessed, or more broke. I work in construction running a mobile crane, and while I may have been a decent shot from the pickup hood with the old 22-250, I haven't put lead down range in a lot of years.

I don't like the Armorlite platform personally, and I've heard lots of great things about Savage value and accuracy. After a lot of YouTube watching and forum reading, I picked up a $370 model 12 .223 from a local dealer. I tried my best to put some decent rings and glass on it, ended up with a Hawke Sport Optics Vantage HD 4-12X50 Mil Dot IR. They threw it on for me on the counter with a "courtesy bore sight." Reticle appears to be leaning to the right to me.

My goal is to get back into shooting shape. I've got a big chunk of state ground close by that's overrun with Prairie Dogs, and I hunt all ship shape and legal. I'd like to learn how to make this gun tick and make it last, and maybe improve it a bit. I'm hoping the bolt and barrel are of the quality and weight that I could maybe upgrade the chassis and add a 10 round mag someday. But first, I have to learn how to get this gun accurate and get familiar with it. I used to just clean dad's gun, pick it up and go. My goal is to start pushing my range out a bit on those little tan targets and get to be a marksman.

Anyway, glad to have found this, hope to add some updates as time/budget allows.

MYT

ragsflh
11-19-2021, 08:25 AM
welcome aboard

drybean
11-19-2021, 10:34 AM
Welcome aboard

mytfarms
11-19-2021, 09:23 PM
Thank you! Looking forward to the comradery of some fellow shooters and learning some stuff along the way!

gkainz
11-19-2021, 09:41 PM
Welcome aboard, congrats on #3 and best of luck on getting back in the shooting games! Keep us posted on your progress!

GaCop
11-20-2021, 08:02 AM
Welcome to the group. You came to the right place.

Dave Hoback
11-21-2021, 08:33 AM
Welcome to our madness. Lots of good info here.

mytfarms
11-21-2021, 09:59 PM
Absolutely! Lot's of great info. Been searching some of the archives and other discussions as I get more and more familiar with my 223. Very helpful stuff. Really appreciate the welcoming atmosphere!

ragsflh
11-22-2021, 08:13 AM
welcome