PDA

View Full Version : bought a rifle 10 yrs ago

Pages : 1 [2]

hailstone
11-26-2010, 12:50 PM
Never ceases to amaze me how shooters want supper dopper magnum calibers then muzzle brakes come next because there's too much recoil. Now your back too regular caliber which costs less to feed.

Shane
11-26-2010, 02:43 PM
at this time worth ordering one with a muzzle break?
what caliber? they make the gun sound louder to those around you. they save your shoulder from large caliber recoil.

the caliber is a 30-06 is it worth it? Does it make the bullet unstable or have less velocity or the round more unstable sooner? I have shot the gun since 2000 with out one on a 22" barrel. I figured I might since im only making one hunting rifle I will probally use the rest of my life im able to hunt. Im only 28 so hoping about another 40yrs or so. My father still uses his jcpenny 30-06 that my mother got him for there first yr anniversay and that was 1979.

dolomite_supafly
11-26-2010, 05:37 PM
Personally, if the 30-06's recoil is manageable I wouldn't put a brake on it. As others have said it makes the gun miserable to shoot in other ways. Even though the recoil is lessened the noise and blast is increased substantially. Just muffs are rarely enough to tame the noise of a braked big bore. Most times I have to use plugs and muffs when someone sets up next to me with a braked gun.

A brake properly installed will not cause the bullet to become unstable. It shouldn't cause the velocity any problems either.

Dolomite

Shane
11-26-2010, 07:37 PM
Thanks i was thinking that tooo

Rifleman51
11-26-2010, 07:39 PM
Several things.

First, the 30-06 is and always will be one of the best cartridges made. You don't need a 7mm rocket to take down game.
The 06 will drop any american game with a properly placed shot. It's Un American to not like the 30-06.

Second If the recoil is a little much, have a Sims Limb Saver recoil pad put on and you can have the correct length of pull set up on your rifle at the same time. The limbsaver really cuts the recoil, better than a brake many times. Proper length of pull will lesen felt recoil and make the rifle line up quicker to your eye for a faster shot.

You asked about a fluted bolt. Did you mean a bolt or barrel?
Flutes on a barrel will help keep it a little cooler and look great, on a bolt it's either for weight reduction or looks.

Lastly, if you are firing lots of rounds and are having trouble with the rounds stringing, get your barrel Cryo Treated, it works, especially on thin barrels.

I just had my Mini 14 barrel cryo treared and it made a huge difference.
I used 300 Below. They are not as cheap as some of the others, but do the process right and also heat treat the barrel 3 times after the Cryo.

My barrel does not foul as quickly now either. It's $80. including return shipping, but if your having stringing problems, it's worth every cent.
You will find companys that do it for less money, but the quality of the job done is worth the extra $$$

Welcome back in country and thank you for your service.

John K

Shane
11-28-2010, 06:39 PM
well I ordered the stock yesterday from stocky stocks but now im really confused. In the conformation e-mail it said that it was on backorder than promted me to go to a page on there website to read on about the backordered process. While reading through that page it said they stocky stocks will no longer be carrying boyds stocks and are the remaining stocks are being clearanced off. I dont know what this means for my order I sent and e-mail to two people there one to the guy who's screen name is Stocky on this forum and than also to the email on there web page. Its my christmas present from my sister, so hope it gets here soon