PDA

View Full Version : New 110 Hog Hunter

Underdog
11-13-2021, 09:08 AM
I bought a new hog hunter in 223 yesterday and thought I would share what I got from Savage. First off the rifle is pretty impressive looking and slightly hefty but not overly so. The rifle was very dry out of the box, no oil anywhere and even the bolt was dry. The trigger being an accutrigger was set at it's lightest setting which was 3.5lbs tested on my gauge, for me that's too heavy so I did a spring swap and it's now at a crisp 1.5lbs and it's perfect. The front sight base was loose right out of the box and not an easy fix considering the sight blade needs to be removed to tighten the base without damaging the base screw. With a bit of effort I was able to resecure the base with the use of my barrel blocks and a vise and replaced the sight blade. I most likely should have never accepted the rifle from the FFL with the loose front sight, but I honestly didn't catch it until I got home and gave it a good inspection. I cleaned the barrel and lubed the rifle and mounted a Vortex 6-18x44 on a rail, hopefully within the next few days I can get it out and get the barrel settled in with a few rounds. It seems I'm not allowed to post pics of the rifle on this forum, I'm trying to figure it out.

Underdog
11-13-2021, 09:11 AM
Delete

Dave Hoback
11-13-2021, 02:35 PM
If you mounted a scope, why worry about the front sight? Open sights belong on pistols IMO. I don’t even use the on my AR’s.

Sounds like you do like it. Good stuff. There are 2 types of Savage owners. Those who wanted a decently accurate, inexpensive rifle...and those like myself, who sincerely enjoy the Savage 10/110 Action.

Underdog
11-13-2021, 03:58 PM
If you mounted a scope, why worry about the front sight? Open sights belong on pistols IMO. I don’t even use the on my AR’s.

Sounds like you do like it. Good stuff. There are 2 types of Savage owners. Those who wanted a decently accurate, inexpensive rifle...and those like myself, who sincerely enjoy the Savage 10/110 Action.

The front sight base was very loose and it would only have fallen off very shortly, it rocked from side to side easily. I'm not complaining at all and I think this new 110 will suit my needs very well. I own 5 other Savage rifles and they all have impressed me with their accuracy, that's why I keep coming back for more. The factory iron sights would have suited me nicely a few years ago, but sadly as we get older scopes are a necessity.

Dave Hoback
11-14-2021, 12:24 AM
LOL! Tell me about it. Worn corrective lenses since I was in High School... an lost my left eyesight completely in 2010(bad eye surgery) Feels like my remaining eye gets worse every month.

I really enjoy my scopes!