PDA

View Full Version : Built another Custom

Pages : [1] 2

Txhillbilly
11-06-2021, 03:35 PM
Ever since I built my 22 Creedmoor using an ARC Nucleus action, I knew I'd build another rifle with that action. I love my old Savage 12 FLVSS 223. It's always been a reliable and extremely accurate rifle, but it has several short falls. It's a Staggered feed action, so I'm limited on what you can buy for it when it comes to stocks / chassis. And, being a blind magazine rifle I'm limited on my COAL, and I like shooting long, heavy, high B.C. bullets like the 75gr - 88gr ELD-M's.

So, back in June, I ordered a new LH Nucleus Gen 2 action from ARC. Then contacted PVA, and ordered a shouldered Rock Creek 1-7 twist barrel in 223 with + .100 free bore, 20" long in a M24 contour, threaded for my suppressor's, and cerakoted matte black.
For a stock, I went with another KRG Bravo chassis. I really like the one on my 22 Creedmoor. I wanted something different looking, so I painted this one with Alcohol Ink's to look like a walnut stock while I was waiting on things to show up.
I ordered another Trigger Tech Special trigger for it, and a couple MDT AICS style magazines. I'd rather have the metal Accurate magazines, but the MDT's allow a COAL of 2.550".
For optics, I wasn't planning on buying another top tier scope, but I came across a lightly used S&B PMII 5-25x56 with the same reticle as the one I have, and I couldn't pass it up for the price. It sets in another set of ARC M10 rings.

The trigger was the last thing to show up, so the rifle doesn't have a trigger in the pics.

https://i.imgur.com/nGHOkPu.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/43xniW2.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/iHoRWjj.jpg

I test fired the rifle a couple weeks ago and it operated perfectly. The Nucleus action now comes with a 25# firing pin spring which makes the bolt lift terrible. I'm still running a 16# spring in my Gen 1 Nucleus, so I swapped out the Gen 2 Nucleus action over to a 16# spring. Works like a charm, and the bolt lift on the Gen 2 action is actually lighter than the Gen 1 action now.
I loaded up a bunch of test loads using Lapua 223 Match brass with 75gr & 80gr Hornady ELD-M bullets using Alliant Power Pro 2000 powder seated .010" off the lands with a COAL of 2.510". That still leaves me .040" of room in the MDT magazines, and they feed perfectly out of the magazine into the chamber.

Yesterday, I was able to go to the range to shoot the test loads. This barrel didn't like the powder combo with the 75gr bullets. 5 shot groups were terrible, I think I had 2 out of 10 groups that might be close to MOA. Most were 1 1/2 - 2 moa groups. Oh well, I've got plenty of other powder's to find what it likes.
The 80gr loads shot fantastic with a couple groups in the .2" - .3" range. I'll load up some more of the best ones, and see if they repeat the groups as well as chronograph them for velocity.

yobuck
11-06-2021, 06:42 PM
I could live with a chassis type stock that looked like that one.
But my question dosent pertain to the gun actually, but the rest it sits on.
Ive been known to say we should cheat all we can, and it seems that even the very best shooters are doing that today with the rests they use.
Im simply a hunter who realized years ago how important the rest we use can be regarding our success.
It aint all about chest thumping me. lol
This one however appears to me at least as though the gun might be permitted to move rearward with recoil?
Otherwise, this type of tripod is good for the first shot only, without realignment.
Depending upon the amount of recoil of coarse.

Txhillbilly
11-06-2021, 07:38 PM
I could live with a chassis type stock that looked like that one.
But my question dosent pertain to the gun actually, but the rest it sits on.
Ive been known to say we should cheat all we can, and it seems that even the very best shooters are doing that today with the rests they use.
Im simply a hunter who realized years ago how important the rest we use can be regarding our success.
It aint all about chest thumping me. lol
This one however appears to me at least as though the gun might be permitted to move rearward with recoil?
Otherwise, this type of tripod is good for the first shot only, without realignment.
Depending upon the amount of recoil of coarse.

Yobuck, That gun rest / tri-pod head is a unit that ZRODelta made. I've had it for years, and use it for varmint / hog hunting as well as when I shoot long range out to a mile. It's rock solid, and uses an inverted picatinny type rail that just fits any type of picatinny rail on your rifles. It has a cam lock that lets you adjust the vertical adjustment of your rifle, and when locked, holds the rifle in place securely. It also has sealed bearings in the base, and you can safely spin the rifle around on top of the tri-pod without any worries of the tri-pod falling over.
I use it setting on the ground, setting in a chair, or standing up. Recoil has never been an issue while using this rest, the biggest gun that I use on it is my 7mm-08. I also have another tri-pod that I use with rifles that don't have provisions for rails on the bottom of the stocks. The rifle sets in front & rear cradle's that are adjustable in height as well as overall length. I've used it with 300 WM's only because they don't have rails on the stocks.

yobuck
11-07-2021, 12:34 PM
Yobuck, That gun rest / tri-pod head is a unit that ZRODelta made. I've had it for years, and use it for varmint / hog hunting as well as when I shoot long range out to a mile. It's rock solid, and uses an inverted picatinny type rail that just fits any type of picatinny rail on your rifles. It has a cam lock that lets you adjust the vertical adjustment of your rifle, and when locked, holds the rifle in place securely. It also has sealed bearings in the base, and you can safely spin the rifle around on top of the tri-pod without any worries of the tri-pod falling over.
I use it setting on the ground, setting in a chair, or standing up. Recoil has never been an issue while using this rest, the biggest gun that I use on it is my 7mm-08. I also have another tri-pod that I use with rifles that don't have provisions for rails on the bottom of the stocks. The rifle sets in front & rear cradle's that are adjustable in height as well as overall length. I've used it with 300 WM's only because they don't have rails on the stocks.
Interesting, We have been spending lots of time over many years trying to come up with a better system for supporting heavy guns with heavy recoil when hunting long range. One of the biggest issues is losing sight of the animal due to recoil, especially when hunting tree covered hillsides, and a step or two by the animal puts it behind trees. Its very important that the shooter never loses sight of the animals location in the scope, regardless as to what it does following a shot. Even with a spotter using good tripod mounted glasses, communicating an animals movement or new location following a shot can be time consuming and a complete game changer as for the outcome.
Weve tried the various ball mounts and found them unsatisfactory unless the side to side movement is controlled by pinning thru the ball allowing for up/down movement only. No flopping over to one side or the other. But most ball mounts arent built strong enough for that.
They werent really designed for guns to begin with, especially 15/25 pound guns.
We have also found that recoil is best controlled by allowing the gun to slide back and return forward without losing the target in the scope.
And that requires something like Teflon or ball bearings.
There are a few very good tripod systems specifically designed for shooting that work very well also.
The Ultimate Tripod, made in Blairsville Pa being one, and the Lone Star made in Texas is another.
We have and use both of those with very good results with the heavy guns.

Txhillbilly
11-07-2021, 02:17 PM
I solved the side to side movement issue by splitting a rubber plumbing pipe connector and putting it around the base of the mount, then use a hose clamp to apply pressure between the base and the head are. It works great, you can adjust the amount of pressure to either hold the head in one place or be able to swing the rifle around while hunting varmints out n the field.
You can see the clamp good in this picture-
https://i.imgur.com/mNxA4vy.jpg

My other tri-pod has adjustment knobs that control ease of movement for up / down and side to side.
https://i.imgur.com/ubCsC6s.jpg

Dave Hoback
11-21-2021, 07:30 PM
Nice little build. I actually prefer polymer mags over metal, although mine are the Magpul AICS 10rd for my 260. Also prefer the PMags for my ARs.... as that is all I use for 223.

Trick paint scheme, Tex! Clean looking. If I didn’t see it, I’d never expect it to look good on a KRG. But it really does work well. Kudos!

Nor Cal Mikie
11-22-2021, 12:35 PM
I like that stock!! :cool::cool:

Txhillbilly
11-24-2021, 12:54 PM
Nice little build. I actually prefer polymer mags over metal, although mine are the Magpul AICS 10rd for my 260. Also prefer the PMags for my ARs.... as that is all I use for 223.

Trick paint scheme, Tex! Clean looking. If I didn’t see it, I’d never expect it to look good on a KRG. But it really does work well. Kudos!

Thanks Dave, I'm old school and always prefer metal magazines. Most polymer magazines limit the OAL of the cartridges, and I have always liked to load out near the lands of my barrels.
I do have a bunch of poly mags for my AR's that get used with Milsurp ammo, but my precision rounds all get used in ASC metal mags.

South Prairie jim
12-22-2021, 08:36 PM
I did ( dig) the builds’ very cool indeed

Txhillbilly
12-23-2021, 05:11 AM
I did ( dig) the builds’ very cool indeed

Thanks Jim, I'll be doing another one soon. I bought an ARC LH Archimedes action on their Black Friday sale, and will take the barrel off the only RH Savage build that I still have left.

celltech
12-23-2021, 09:48 AM
I have 2 Nuke rifles and 1 Arch setup....LOVE, LOVE, LOVE them!!! The way they put a round into battery is just magic... 16# springs on the Nukes and -0- misfires for me.

psharon97
12-23-2021, 10:38 AM
I've got two Mausingfield actions the M5 and the M7. Both are great receivers. I run the M5 in PRS and the M7 is built for my 300 Norma

Robinhood
12-23-2021, 12:07 PM
I am a little late to the game on this but beautiful stick. I never thought I would see a no hub clamp(Furnco?) on a shooting rig.

Txhillbilly
12-23-2021, 08:11 PM
I never thought I would see a no hub clamp(Furnco?) on a shooting rig.

You lost me on that one! I had to google it to find out what Furnco was.
Yep, the precision bearings in the ZRODelta head are just a little too smooth, so I had to improvise a solution so that it would hold steady with side to side movement.
Redneck engineering at it's best. LOL

Dave Hoback
12-24-2021, 10:24 PM
Maaaaan....”RNE” has paved the way for many a DIY’er! Was definitely part of my credentials through the years, LOL!

yobuck
12-25-2021, 12:40 PM
You lost me on that one! I had to google it to find out what Furnco was.
Yep, the precision bearings in the ZRODelta head are just a little too smooth, so I had to improvise a solution so that it would hold steady with side to side movement.
Redneck engineering at it's best. LOL
Problem isnt the bearings on the slide mechanism as much as the ball mount its sitting on.
Those camera tripod ball mounts arent really strong enough to support a gun, especially a heavier one with heavy recoil.
They need to be drilled and pinned to prevent the side to side movement, as in flopping over.
But since they are made from some type of pot metal they arent strong enough to do that.
The Fernco coupling simply acts as a cast would in order to help with that.
Its a good idea, and makes an inferior product perform better.

Txhillbilly
12-25-2021, 04:53 PM
Problem isnt the bearings on the slide mechanism as much as the ball mount its sitting on.
Those camera tripod ball mounts arent really strong enough to support a gun, especially a heavier one with heavy recoil.
They need to be drilled and pinned to prevent the side to side movement, as in flopping over.
But since they are made from some type of pot metal they arent strong enough to do that.
The Fernco coupling simply acts as a cast would in order to help with that.
Its a good idea, and makes an inferior product perform better.

This is not a "ball type mount". It's all machined billet aluminum and steel.
Once again, you have no idea of what you are talking about!

I can't shoot in a prone position anymore (too many old injuries), so I either stand or set when varmint or hog hunting or shooting long range targets. The only reason that I installed the rubber sleeve on the mount was to be able to keep the rifle from moving side to side when shooting long range. For hunting, I loosen the clamp so it moves freely

https://i.imgur.com/5nEbQRY.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/crR21Z8.jpg

yobuck
12-25-2021, 06:25 PM
Well the problem here is that i know exactly what you have and you know it.
Its a piece of shit, as for shooting any type of heavy gun with a heavy recoil, especially from a standing position.
The tripod is intended for supporting a camera, or at best a large set of binoculars.
You get buy with it because you dont actually know any better, but attempt to convince people that you do.
At 86 im well aware of shooting with handicaps, but so long as our mind isnt handicapped, some of us can still do pretty well.
But then some always had a handicapped mind.
If i could post pictures id show you what a good setup looks like. Weve been experimenting for about 50 years, and we have it pretty well solved for what you are trying to do with your tinker toy setup. Actually there are quite a few that i could show, but frankly none even resemble yours.
Youve been busy tring to impress people with expensive scopes, rather than finding ways to shoot better, and spending your money on that.
If somebody will volunteer, ill email pics of some good setups for accurate long range shooting.
And some of the guns we use and a few of the locations we use them.

Dave Hoback
12-25-2021, 09:08 PM
Oh boy Yo buck! You really might wanna cut while your only a little behind here. You may be 86 and know quite a bit about Huntin' and what not, but this is, most assuredly, one area you are showing to have little knowledge of. There are different sizes of this type Tripod Ball Mount, some of which support like 70lbs! They are typically made of 6061-t6 billet Aluminum as well as the legs being that or Carbon Fiber. (That's a new-fangled composite material of Carbon weave cloth impregnated with Two-part epoxy & lamented.) Which has a strength to weight ratio comparable to steel. I laminate my own for knife handle scales & small parts. Always best to know your subject matter BEFORE posting. I can post some links to direct you to the correct info if you like?

Dave Hoback
12-25-2021, 09:15 PM
Here's a good example. Artcise is one of the better in the affordable line. This is a 54mm Mount that supports 70lbs! TX's modified setup is a different style which I would think will support even more! I'm wondering where you are seeing "pot Metal"?? Maybe on the very cheap CHINESIUM brands. Likely made of Zinc-Aluminum alloy So.....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B097DF3SGN/ref=psdcmw_3347671_t2_B087RP5V5D