PDA

View Full Version : Early '90's 110 what should I buy?

dmille1966
11-03-2021, 03:46 PM
Hello all, I'm new to the forum and looking for a bit of advice. I recently have been shopping for a new to me rifle. The rifle will be used for hunting here in SD. I have a chance to buy a used model 110 that I believe was manufactured in the early 1990's based on info that I have gleaned from the forum. The rifle is chambered in 30-06 appears to be in really nice condition other than a few scratches on the stock. The asking price is $435 and the guy won't budge off of that price. My other option is to go to the big box store and buy a new Axis XP with scope for around $360. Being an older guy a wood stock really strikes my fancy but I'm not sure that justifies spending more money on a 30 year old rifle and then dropping even more on a scope and mounts. I guess the question is which rifle is better and why? What are the differences between the two?

SageRat Shooter
11-03-2021, 04:08 PM
All I can say is that I would choose a 110 over an Axis any day of the week and twice on Sunday... Even if you do decide to buy the Axis, you'll most likely have to get new rings (as the ones on the XP package are garbage) and possibly the scope as well. Additionally, The Tupperware synthetic stocks on the Axis is garbage too, so you'll most likely want to get a different stock for it anyway. The 110 has a better aftermarket support, so down the road you'll have an easier time finding stocks, parts, etc...

I have a rifle in both models, and I just think the 110 is a better built rifle. However, I do agree that $435.00 does seem a little high for a Savage 110 with no optics included

Just my opinion, others may think differently.

olddav
11-03-2021, 04:30 PM
$425.00 seems a bit high but it may not be in this market and age on a hunting rifle is not a big concern for me. Most hunting rifle see very little use over their lifetime.
As always I could be wrong.

65Whelen
11-03-2021, 08:41 PM
I wouldn't buy the Axis. The bottom is all plastic waiting to break. The 110 is by far a better rifle and those barrels have a very good reputation for shooting way above expectation. Buy once cry once.

Dave Hoback
11-03-2021, 10:34 PM
The 110 hands down. $435 is high for LAST years market. But today, that's about right. It's a sellers market right now with firearms. You can do better buying through Gunbroker. Although, by the time you get it through shipping & FFL transfer, might only save $50-$75. Is it worth the extra time & waiting? That's for you to decide.

Nor Cal Mikie
11-04-2021, 12:05 PM
Me? After hearing all the horror stories about the Axis model rifles, I'd stick with the 110.
Don't do long actions myself but the older model rifles still have the quality you're looking for.
And as mentioned, probably not too many round fired. In competition maybe but hunting, not likely.
Don't think I've ever had my eyes on an Axis or ever held one in my hands.
I'll stick to any one of my short actions and the availability to swap parts to get to where I want to go.
Stocks, barrels, bolt handles, triggers. Swap your heart out till it's the way YOU want it. :cool:

Turkeytider
11-04-2021, 10:12 PM
Can`t really comment on the Axis rifles since I`ve never held or shot one. I have seen a number of them at the range, however. I have a 110 Storm XP in .223 that I got for range shooting for fun and also for predator hunting. I have absolutely enjoyed shooting it and it seems to be a well made gun. Easily an MOA rifle, although my marksmanship really doesn`t do it justice! You`d pay a bit more, but you might want to consider looking at the 110 XP models.

charlie b
11-04-2021, 10:30 PM
I do have an Axis (Walmart heavy barrel .223) and I like it. But....it is not without issues. After a lot of shooting the magazine would drop out every now and then. Not an issue on the range but might lose one in the field. Mine had the older plastic stock and the forearm did flex too much. I just positioned the bench rest under the barrel nut. I eventually got a Boyd's stock just to make it look better and add weight (I only shoot at the range).

FWIW, it still has the original rings but I did get a weaver rail for it. The original 4-12 scope also worked ok, but, I did move up to a Vortex 4-16 Diamondback. Keep in mind the .223 doesn't really put any stress on the scope and mounts.

The rifle itself still shoots 1/2MOA groups after almost 4000 rounds.

If your use is for annual hunts then a new Axis should work just fine.

PS if Cabela's was still selling the 12FV's I'd tell you to get one of those.

FWIW, my other Savage is a 12BVSS. If I had it to do over again I'd probably look at something like a Howa instead.

Dave Hoback
11-05-2021, 08:47 AM
I thought the same. The Howa action is very attractive looking. Integrated recoil lug, the HACT trigger & flat bottom receiver. But really comparing the two, I’d still choose Savage. A few things for me in Savage vs Howa & they are personal choice. At stock level the HACT is a superior trigger, but after I do my thing with the Accutrigger, I choose it over ANY other. Second is my eventual chassis choice. When I’m able, I want a Mirage URL chassis. And while it’s available for the Savage 10/110, it is NOT for the Howa. Lastly, my next Action will be the shrouded ejection port model 10. Seriously considering the model 12 Target Action & machine the mag well. As I said though, it’s a personal preference.

bhsurf4
11-05-2021, 09:19 AM
I have a 110 in .270 and an Axis in .308. For my money, I’d go with the 110. If you get the Axis, you will probably have to replace the rings at least, and I would go ahead and replace the rail and rings.Scopes OK, not great, but it works. Plastic stock is garbage. You’ll either be researching how to stiffen it up (Mcarbo sells 3D printed blocks to glue in) or be buying a Boyd’s laminate to replace it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dmille1966
11-05-2021, 11:30 AM
Well, I missed out on the 110, someone bought it. I really don't need another rifle right away, would like to have it before next antelope season in case one of my boys decides to hunt. I think I'll just keep my eye on the used market and see what happens, I'm sure the right one will come along. I will say that the 110 certainly felt better in hand, it felt quality as compared with the Axis that I currently own if that makes any sense. That being said the last shot fired from my Axis dropped a pronghorn at 300 yds so it definitely will get the job done. Being an "old guy" I'd like to find an older wooden stocked rifle the idea just strikes my fancy, however if the right one doesn't come along I can always buy another Axis. Thanks to all for the input, I'll update the post if I buy something or if I have anymore questions.

Turkeytider
11-05-2021, 01:53 PM
It`s been interesting to me that while folks go back and forth about scope rings and stocks, Axis vs. 110, etc.,etc., essentially nobody disputes the accuracy of Savage rifles, regardless of model.

charlie b
11-05-2021, 10:29 PM
Nope. Cause Axis or 110 they are all much more accurate than the price reflects. From what I understand the Axis barrels come from the same line as the 110 series.

Dave, I understand about personal preferences. I never plan on a chassis, so as long as a decent wood stock is available I am set. I also do not like messing with factory triggers.

From what I understand the current Axis plastic stock is not the same as a few years ago. The new ones are supposed to be much stiffer. I don't like plastic stocks so I'd change it out anyway. But, for just hunting I could work with it.

mnbogboy2
11-13-2021, 06:40 PM
I believe theaxis is available in 280 ackley. If you are contemplating rebarreling either rifle then the barrel yo replace will have some value. The axis 280 barrel will sell like hot cakes at a vfw breakfast.

UrbanRedneck
11-14-2021, 06:56 PM
$435 sounds crazy high. Wait for a sale or rebate on a new 110. Even if it is a plastic stock you can get a boyds stock for under $200 or prob find a used wood stock on ebay.

I would not be scared of an axis either though. I have one but it a bottom metal now so I don't have to worry about the magazine issue.

I have an axis heavy barrel.