PDA

View Full Version : 338 Edge Small Shank?

Jfightingfalcon
11-02-2021, 10:43 PM
Looking to build a 338 Edge (RUM). Just curious what everyone's thoughts were on building one on a small shank action? Few manufacturers offer prefits for large shanks it seems so using a small shank would greatly simplify the process. Thanks!

mattri
11-02-2021, 11:52 PM
https://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?4882-Can-a-small-shank-handle-super-mag-caliber good read

Dave Hoback
11-03-2021, 01:04 AM
Holy Moly! This is the most RUM threads I've seen in a stretch here! Where'd all you Rummies come from??

Sorry, sorry... "Edge". Which actually SHOULD have been the 338 RUM from the beginning! Just doesn't seem right that the 338 RUM is SHORTER than the 300 RUM. So anyway, yeah... it's all good to run it on a Small Shank. Many people have RUMied the Small Shanks in the past.

olddav
11-03-2021, 08:01 AM
That was a good read.

efm77
11-03-2021, 08:54 AM
Just about any barrel maker will make a large shank barrel. I've ordered several. It can be done on a small shank, and Savage built their first ones on the small shank. They never were recalled. However, there's a reason they went to the large shank. It provides thicker chamber walls for the portion in front of the receiver ring and I prefer it myself for any magnums (including belted mags). I think I read somewhere that Savage was experiencing some slight chamber wall flexing with the small shanks in the large cases that was causing some sticky cases, or something to that effect. When they went to the large shank, it stopped. If Sharpshooter will chime in, I'm sure he can clarify that.

yobuck
11-03-2021, 09:05 AM
Just about any barrel maker will make a large shank barrel. I've ordered several. It can be done on a small shank, and Savage built their first ones on the small shank. They never were recalled. However, there's a reason they went to the large shank. It provides thicker chamber walls for the portion in front of the receiver ring and I prefer it myself for any magnums (including belted mags). I think I read somewhere that Savage was experiencing some slight chamber wall flexing with the small shanks in the large cases that was causing some sticky cases, or something to that effect. When they went to the large shank, it stopped. If Sharpshooter will chime in, I'm sure he can clarify that.
I think there might be some (stickys) on what he thinks about using Savage actions.

efm77
11-03-2021, 01:44 PM
I think there might be some (stickys) on what he thinks about using Savage actions.

Yep, there are, since it has been discussed at length before.