PDA

View Full Version : Model 11 with Richards Microfit stock

KMW1954
10-31-2021, 12:19 PM
Back over the summer I was able to pick up a Savage Model 11 barreled action with a broken stock from a member on another forum. Arrived in a Boyds box with the broken stock but was missing the magazine and bottom metal. It is barreled in a 243 with a short 20" barrel and the pull on the stock was short also so I am not sure if this was a youth's model or a Lady Hunter.

Anyways, all I really wanted was the Action, bolt and trigger as My intention is to build an inexpensive bench gun around this Savage action. So this receiver and bolt are flawless and smoother than my Model 10. The stock I kept in case I needed measurements for the new aftermarket stock.

I then ordered a Richards Microfit Field Trekker stock for it and was told middle to end of Oct. for delivery which surprisingly I received the stock on Oct 4th! The stock was supposed to be 99% inletted, snap/press fit. Surprisingly it took very little sanding to get the barreled receiver to all fit together. Looks nice, even unfinished, and I love the way it feels when I shoulder it.

Next came the fitting all the bottom metal, trigger guard and magazine to the stock and matching it up to the receiver. Well the holes for the bottom metal were far off from the holes for the receiver screws. So a little alteration to the stock inletting for the metal and guard and then to relocate the holes for the screws. With that I decided to also add pillars since I also had to enlarge the holes.

Yesterday it took me about two hours to relocate the holes, fit the pillars and then epoxy them into place. After about three hours to let it set up I removed all the added hardware and studs that I was using as alignment pins. Cleaned up the parts, receiver from the excess epoxy and put it back together with the actual receiver screws and it all went back together beautifully!

Still going to epoxy bed the receiver and then there is still a lot of fitting and sanding to do around the Bottom metal and then to add a recoil pad before the final finishing. The plan for now is to leave the 243 barrel and shoot it until I decide which caliber and which barrel manufacturer to go with. Actually considering three; 6mmBR, 6mm ARC and the 250 Savage. This will primarily be used for paper punching at the range I work which goes 100, 200 and 300yds. All ranges over 300 yds in this area are private clubs with limited access.

charlie b
10-31-2021, 09:08 PM
Nice find. Seems like a neat project.

KMW1954
11-01-2021, 12:09 AM
I'm enjoying this immensely.

yobuck
11-01-2021, 09:40 AM
Richards stocks can be very nice when finished, i have several of them.
But at least in past years they were extremely rough especially on the inside.
Almost like they used a chainsaw for the inletting.

KMW1954
11-01-2021, 11:54 AM
Thanks, inside of this one is on par with the Boyds.

RCE1
11-01-2021, 01:52 PM
any photos?

KMW1954
11-01-2021, 02:45 PM
any photos?

I can give a link to another forum that has pictures.