PDA

View Full Version : Impulse Owner Evaluations ?

shoots100
10-29-2021, 08:35 PM
I've had my .243 Impulse Predator since early April 2021.
It's been a great rifle so far.
Accurate, reliable and no issues feeding rounds from the 5rd AICS magazines.
My only real complaint, was the barrel heaviness.
I had the barrel spiral fluted and that made it a little lighter, but it's still barrel heavy.
My "Fix" will be a 20" proof barrel.
Any other Impulse owners care to give an Eval on the Impulse rifle model they own ?

RCE1
01-10-2022, 07:26 PM
I just started working with an Impulse Predator in .308. Only fired 50 rds, so break-in is only beginning, but it was shooting 5 shot groups under an inch, once I got my hold figured out. I will admit it's been over a year since I popped a cap, as well, so I'm out of practice. I just used some ammunition I'd thrown together (literally) on a Dillon XL750. I expect that I will continue to improve, but I find it an impressive beginning. I have it set up for left handed shooting, which gives a left bolt right port configuration. It makes it easy working from a bench and allowed me to keep track of the fired brass. The AccuStock actually was very comfortable and helped handle recoil well. The trigger could use some work as the lowest I could set it was 3.5lbs, which is fine, actually, but I prefer something a bit lighter, so there's a project.

My rifle came with the 10 round box AICS magazine. I'd like to get a 5 shot for bench work.

Blue Avenger
01-10-2022, 10:58 PM
I had the barrel spiral fluted and that made it a little lighter, but it's still barrel heavy.
My "Fix" will be a 20" proof barrel.

did you un-thread the barrel or just loosen the clamp to remove?

shoots100
01-11-2022, 06:08 PM
I removed the barrel + extension.
No need to remove the barrel from the extension, unless your going to switch barrels.
Remove the barreled action from the stock.
Loosen the three bolts, remove the fourth cross bolt completely and the Barrel with recoil lug + extension slides right out of the receiver.
It's indexed, so no worries with installation.

shoots100
01-11-2022, 06:11 PM
Scroll down in this thread and view post #12.
https://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?68465-The-wait-for-impulse

Zeek586
01-18-2022, 10:29 AM
Impulse Big Game-3006...seems like nice fit and finish out of the box. Got it scoped and started breaking it in per Savage's FAQ section. So far using MilSurp FMJ, not 'wowed' yet by accuracy, but it almost seems like it's getting worse as I get more rounds through it. Would like to get all the accuracy I can out of it, will be going after whitetails in the 100-600 yard range. Will check back when I know more.

shoots100
01-23-2022, 10:51 AM
Use factory, not milsurp ammo and the rifle will shoot better.
Savage doesn't advise using Milsurp ammo in their firearms.
Clean the rifle thoroughly and try some factory ammo.