PDA

View Full Version : Savage 111 7mm magnum barrel swap too 7mm stw

Jonesn4it
10-21-2021, 05:49 PM
I'm new to posting here so I hope this is in the right place. I've read this forum for years and have gotten alot of valuable info so I'm hoping you savage experts can help me out. I recently purchased a Savage 111 blind magazine in 7mm mag, I have a factory savage 7mm stw barrel ordered for this gun and I'm wanting some info from you guys here that may know about the swap. The barrel swap is straight forward my questions are more about the ammo fitting in the magazine, so would any of you all know if I'm gonna run into problems with the rounds fitting in this magazine? And any other issues you guys know about that I might encounter please share. Thanks ahead of time

yobuck
10-21-2021, 08:07 PM
The parent case for the 7 mm STW is the 8 mm magnum case necked down to 7mm.
Im not a Savagesmith, but my guess is you will have issues with the magazine.

Jonesn4it
10-21-2021, 08:12 PM
Thank you for the reply. From what I have learned thus far the only issue I'm gonna have is with the magazine. I'm hoping someone here will be able to tell me for sure and if so what can I do to remedy the problem. I have owned a Savage 110 338 Lapua and the Lapua vs the stw are pretty close in length so I know savage has parts that will work with that case length. It's a matter of someone smarter than me that can tell me if it's possible. Again I appreciate the reply

Jonesn4it
10-21-2021, 08:14 PM
And yes, it is the 8mm parent case, I reload and have for some time so that's allowed me to have some knowledge of parent cases but what I do know about savage is they are pretty smart when it comes to the way they make there guns. Most long actions fit all calibers like all short actions fit the appropriate calibers when it comes to magazine lengths. So I'm hoping it'll work or if not somebody will know how to fix it.

yobuck
10-22-2021, 08:58 AM
And yes, it is the 8mm parent case, I reload and have for some time so that's allowed me to have some knowledge of parent cases but what I do know about savage is they are pretty smart when it comes to the way they make there guns. Most long actions fit all calibers like all short actions fit the appropriate calibers when it comes to magazine lengths. So I'm hoping it'll work or if not somebody will know how to fix it.
The only good reason for owning one of the larger case 7 mms or any large case cartridge for that matter is the desire to shoot them at longer distances.
Especially when using the longer heavier bullets there will be magazine issues even with long actions.
You should get by with 160 class bullets seated deep enough to fit, assuming they also shoot well in the gun.
Actually you will find that due to better velocity they will perform better anyway out to about 1200 yds in that gun.
The easiest solution would be to just feed it singly and dont use the magazine.

Jonesn4it
10-22-2021, 09:03 AM
So you do think they will work in the magazine seated deep enough? And yes I can shoot it as a single shot and that doesn't bother really but if I can make it work then I would prefer too.

wbm
10-22-2021, 11:05 AM
_.

Jonesn4it
10-22-2021, 11:10 AM
Thanks for the reply, that may be something that I have to work with my gunsmith on and resolve. It seems as though the magazine is gonna be my only issue. What's the difference on the 111 and the 114?

yobuck
10-22-2021, 12:51 PM
Thanks for the reply, that may be something that I have to work with my gunsmith on and resolve. It seems as though the magazine is gonna be my only issue. What's the difference on the 111 and the 114?
If you bought a 700 Rem in the 7 Rem Mag version, you could just rechamber it for the STW and be home free.
Idealy of coarse a longer barrel of at least 26” would be better, but none the less the factory magazine would work at least for the 160 class and lighter bullets. Im actually doing that and using a 300 Wby case which is the same size.
Even a 280 would work except for opening up the bolt face.
Talk to your gunsmith.

Jonesn4it
10-22-2021, 01:54 PM
Well this is why I asked this question here, I appreciate you guys taking time to reply. Yes using a rem 700 would work easier, but if I'm honest and don't mean any offense, I'm just not a fan of a rem 700, maybe an older bdl, but there just not my cup of tea. I would acutot prefer a Savage most any day and I'm not just saying that because I'm on a Savage board. I guess I'll know for certain whhw the barrel gets here, cause I'm gonna swap it and find the issues for myself and then talk with my gunsmith. But I really appreciate you all just making me feel welcome and replying. Keep it coming.

yobuck
10-23-2021, 10:44 AM
Way back in time somewhere somebody said, ( to thine ownself be true ).

wbm
10-23-2021, 11:03 AM
What's the difference on the 111 and the 114?

The 114U receiver used on the STW was machined differently.

Jonesn4it
10-23-2021, 11:13 AM
Was it just the feed ramp in the receiver that is different? I thought all savage long action receiver's has the same opening but maybe the feed ramp is different . Thanks

wbm
10-23-2021, 02:02 PM
Just the feed ramp. Bolt hole spacing and everything else was the same. Also think it was small shank. Sharpshooter would be the one to ask.

Jonesn4it
10-23-2021, 02:29 PM
It is a small shank, 1.055 I think is right. Well atleast so far it only seems like I'm going to have feed issues and that's it, I can shoot it single shot until I get the issue worked out. Maybe sharpshooter will chime in with tht details and what parts I need to make it feed from the magazine. I appreciate you taking time to reply

Jonesn4it
10-23-2021, 02:30 PM
If anyone knows how to contact sharpshooter and send him my way I would greatly appreciate it.

Robinhood
10-24-2021, 12:31 PM
Sharpshooter is watching...

This guy has a 300 RUM. The perfect base for your build. Maybe you can work a deal to trade an action with him.

Get in contact with CPTCUFFS (https://www.savageshooters.com/member.php?50432-CPTCUFFS)

https://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?69623-300-rum

Jonesn4it
10-24-2021, 12:53 PM
Thank you!! But now I feel stupid because I don't have a clue how to contact him, I'm looking but have found nothing that says I can message him.

Jonesn4it
10-24-2021, 09:09 PM
If anybody here has the parts I might need I'm definitely interested, let me know. Thanks again for all the help guys

Bigdave1977
03-04-2022, 05:21 PM
I know this thread is kind of dated, but I have a savage 110 LA in 338 RUM that I run CIP length magazines in. I used an XLR Evolution chassis. I do not believe they make it any longer. I built this rifle back in 2018.

but I am pretty sure if you can get either a 338 lapua bottom metal, and possibly bottom metal and stock. You should be able to make this work.

If I am too late to the game, and you have already figured this one out, I apologize for resurrecting old threads.