PDA

View Full Version : Where can I find light 7 mm bullets???

geneackley
10-18-2021, 10:28 PM
I have recently started to load ammo for my new 280 Ackley Improved, Like probably everyone else here, I am having a hard time locating bullets in general, but more specifically the lighter (130 - 140 grain) 7mm / .284 bullets that I need.

I have tried the usual places like Brownells, Midway, Natchez, Midsouth... but not much luck.

I was wondering if there might be some other less known places online that someone here might be able to steer me to...

I do have about 450 Sierra Match King bullets 175G-7mm.... But like I said above, I was hoping to find some lighter rounds to mainly use for fire-form my 280 Remington brass (made from old Korean War 30-06 brass) into 280 Ackley improved ammunition.

I do thank you for any help.

Gene

Beowoulf2000
11-11-2021, 07:51 AM
I use ammoseek.com for price comparing and finding in-stock ammunition and components. There are probably others, but this one works for me.
These are the least expensive .284’s on the site this morning:
https://www.lg-outdoors.com/Product/Details/1084639?source=A10001
Speer Hot-Cor 130 gr SP, $29.59/100 +tax and shipping

yobuck
11-11-2021, 08:52 AM
I have recently started to load ammo for my new 280 Ackley Improved, Like probably everyone else here, I am having a hard time locating bullets in general, but more specifically the lighter (130 - 140 grain) 7mm / .284 bullets that I need.

I have tried the usual places like Brownells, Midway, Natchez, Midsouth... but not much luck.

I was wondering if there might be some other less known places online that someone here might be able to steer me to...

I do have about 450 Sierra Match King bullets 175G-7mm.... But like I said above, I was hoping to find some lighter rounds to mainly use for fire-form my 280 Remington brass (made from old Korean War 30-06 brass) into 280 Ackley improved ammunition.

I do thank you for any help.

Gene
Have you tried other methods of fire forming the cases other than using bullits?
Ive used Bullseye pistol powder and sealed the end with canning wax.
Tissue paper stuffed into the case works also, might even be better.
Fact also is that with an AI chamber it shouldnt really be necessary to fire form.
Load a regular case, shoot, and remove an AI case.
Id be trying a few before wasting any bullits.

charlie b
11-11-2021, 12:36 PM
One of the benefits of the AI chambers is that you can just fire full bore ammo in them and next time around you have AI brass.

Some have said that the std rounds were just as accurate when fired that way. No real loss in vel.

Forming from other sizes of brass I'd expect the same thing. Size and shoot. I will bet your POI won't change much either.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

thatguyshm
11-12-2021, 06:17 AM
The way components are right now I wouldn't be fire forming seventy year old brass. I just ordered a hundred pieces of Peterson brass two days ago from Grafs. COW forming burns up a primer, but no bullet. I spent a bunch of time looking for cheap 7mm bullets, I realized all my 7mm stuff is premium hunting bullets, but I got lucky and found some pulls from American Reloading to break in a new barrel.

twarren
11-12-2021, 01:37 PM
PM sent.