PDA

View Full Version : Savage/Sears 94c advice needed.

TeamK3
10-18-2021, 09:47 AM
So…. I’m working on a very cool Sears Roebuck single shot that has been in my family for quite awhile. I’ve taken it completely apart for an ultrasonic cleaning. The firing pin is broken but those can be bought. Otherwise, I think this dog will hunt. Where I go from here is what I want to ask for help with.
Research tells me that this gun is worth $50 to $150. So basically, it has no value. I’m thinking about refinishing it, which would be a huge no-no if the gun were collectible. I’d like to shoot it a bit and hang it over the mantle. So first, I’d like to hear what others have done to cherry out the wood and refinish the metal.
second, I’d love to know what year it was made. I read about the date stamps but can’t decipher mine. Anybody here an expert at that? Seems like the bottom half of the date stamp isn’t there. I’m guessing my letter is an I, a J or a T. I’ve got pics but don’t quite understand how to load them here.

Any help would be appreciated!

Chinook
01-03-2022, 05:04 PM
No reply ?
I've done a number of do i restore to new or just enough to get it back to field condition. Alot depends on metal condition, is it pitted..... how much ?
The wood, is it cracked, small or large, and does it have the blackened finish curse. Or did it have a sprayed on glossy finish ?
Its a blank canvas and a blank check. Your decision dictates the amount ? I Did a NOW factory fresh H&R Topper single shot . . . . total $ apx $300 (years ago)
But it is . . . better than new now. And I'm doing a get by refinish on a rusted Discount store Ranger / Model 29 . . . . total will be apx $ 150

So basically what to do with wood and metal depends on current condition and . . . . how far you want to go $ !
And what can you do to contribute to end product and keep cost down. I do all my own wood refinish, metal fitting and stripping, disassembly & reassembly.
Don't have hot tanks so that all has to go out.

be safe out there people !

Blue Avenger
01-03-2022, 09:04 PM
spray paint ( did i say that out loud ) covers easy, cheap and will come off easy later. Browning like you would do to a muzzle loader is not to hard. New wood can still be found if needed, one of mine has been waiting 7 years, lol not a priority gun.