PDA

View Full Version : Lug question

dolomite_supafly
10-07-2009, 07:03 AM
I got asked a question when I posted pictures of my recent 45 ACP build.

The rear lug on the bolt is longer than the other Savage I have. It sticks out and is visible while my other Savage is flush with the receiver.

Not sure what the rear lug is called but it is the one that guides the bolt and stays stationary while the locking lug is the one that moves.

Here is the picture:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v446/Adyth/Savage/boltlugquestion.jpg

Why does one of my Savages have a flush fitting lug while the other is extended?

Dolomite

pdog06
10-07-2009, 07:22 AM
That is an extended baffle. They are usually on some long actions that came factory with a short action cartridge(i.e. model 110 in 308), or on short actions that came as a 204 or 223 caliber.
It is designed to limit the rearward bolt travel for the shorter cartridges.

What was your action originally?

dolomite_supafly
10-07-2009, 07:35 AM
I have a few that have had parts swap back and forth. One started as a 223 the other started as a 308.

Dolomite

Blue Avenger
10-07-2009, 11:15 AM
It is not a lug, it is a gas baffle.
when you turn the bolt and the locking lug rotates 90 degrees, it leaves the race way open to any gas from the burning powder that may escape rearward past the case or out the back of the case from a ruptured primer. the baffle blocks the gas from coming back into your face and directs it out the hole in the side of the receiver.

dolomite_supafly
10-08-2009, 05:11 PM
It is not a lug, it is a gas baffle.
when you turn the bolt and the locking lug rotates 90 degrees, it leaves the race way open to any gas from the burning powder that may escape rearward past the case or out the back of the case from a ruptured primer. the baffle blocks the gas from coming back into your face and directs it out the hole in the side of the receiver.

Ahh, that makes sense. Like I said I wasn't sure on what it is called.

Thanks again guys
Dolomite