View Full Version : 12 LRPV Action Bolt Adjustment Test

Pages : 1 [2]

otnot
10-21-2021, 07:16 PM
Bob Greenleaf (retired Savage engineer and long time benchrest shooter) did similar testing back in the day when Savage first came up with the 3-screw idea. Long story short is he found the middle screw did nothing to improve accuracy, and in fact tended to make the gun more fickle when it came to screw torque. He provided his detailed results to Savage, but they opted to stick with the idea as it was something they could brag about in their marketing even if it offered no benefit. Bob's advice was just to ditch the middle screw and call it good.

That's funny you mentioned that because that was going to be my next test But that is going to have to wait until after my throat reamer arrives. I received some 90 gr. SMK the other day and it looks like I'm going to have to ream out .064 to be able to have an OAL of 2.555 and an ogive of1.970. I'm curious to see if the 80 gr. SMK will still preform with that much jump.

Robinhood
10-24-2021, 05:09 PM
Bob Greenleaf (retired Savage engineer and long time benchrest shooter) did similar testing back in the day when Savage first came up with the 3-screw idea. Long story short is he found the middle screw did nothing to improve accuracy, and in fact tended to make the gun more fickle when it came to screw torque. He provided his detailed results to Savage, but they opted to stick with the idea as it was something they could brag about in their marketing even if it offered no benefit. Bob's advice was just to ditch the middle screw and call it good.

Shhhhhh!!! Now everybody knows!!!!

Dave Hoback
10-24-2021, 07:58 PM
I figured that without even being an 11-TEENTH degree Gun Engimi-neer. It just seems counter productive. And I really do like removable magazines. Even in my Bolt guns.

PhilC
10-25-2021, 10:49 AM
30-30-5 looks good.
Same one I picked off that target.

yobuck
10-25-2021, 11:19 AM
Shhhhhh!!! Now everybody knows!!!!
So now lets talk about barrel blocks and no action screws.

Fuj'
10-27-2021, 06:20 AM
So now lets talk about barrel blocks and no action screws.

How about 4 screws, a tang stop and no barrel lug !!

As I have mentioned in the past. Action tuning is wasted time. Your better served tuning your ammo,
And reading the wind. And if you have a third screw, use it. That third screw was added to help out
the front screw as barrels got heavier. That front screw does not have a lot of threads.