PDA

View Full Version : Remanufactured Ammo( .223 specifically)

Turkeytider
10-07-2021, 09:07 AM
I get the impression that this can be a controversial subject. Thoughts and opinions? Best manufacturers? Anybody shooting any through their bolt guns?

Dave Hoback
10-07-2021, 10:33 AM
There are a few which are good quality. What you will find is brand loyalty. People who have used X or Y manufacturer & had good quality will recommend that company. I don’t have a dog in that fight as I reload my own 223, but the only one I will 100% vouch for is Black Hills. They are well known & are very high quality. I would not think twice of sending their stock through my firearms.

charlie b
10-07-2021, 11:26 AM
It is a 'try it and see' kind of thing. If going that route I would place a small order first (20rnd box maybe) and see how it is.

99% of those folks are not going to load anything dangerous or that would harm your firearm (at least not intentionally). I suspect if there are any problems they will be squib loads or failed primers.

I have used Black Hills and Buffalo Bore ammunition and like both of them.

gkainz
10-07-2021, 08:25 PM
I shoot a lot of Freedom Munition .223 without issue.

J.Baker
10-09-2021, 07:33 AM
There are a few which are good quality. What you will find is brand loyalty. People who have used X or Y manufacturer & had good quality will recommend that company. I don’t have a dog in that fight as I reload my own 223, but the only one I will 100% vouch for is Black Hills. They are well known & are very high quality. I would not think twice of sending their stock through my firearms.

+1 on Black Hills, though unfortunately it's been probably 10+ years since I've seen a box of it anywhere and anytime I had looked online it was always out-of-stock everywhere I looked. Not sure if it's still the case, or even true, but I was told that for awhile back then the bulk of their production was going towards filling military contracts. Eventually got tired of looking and just bought a primer pocket swager and started reloading all the discarded mil-surp brass people would leave laying around the range.

The .223/5.56 stuff I really miss is the Hornady Steel Match in both 55 and 75gr variants. I'd bought a bunch of it when it first came out and man that stuff shot good, but then the 2012 ammo draught hit and it all but disappeared. Last I spoke with someone from Hornady about it they said that they could no longer get the primed steel cases from eastern Europe (which is the main reason it was so cheap to buy) so they had to discontinue it.

Dave Hoback
10-09-2021, 09:00 PM
Eventually got tired of looking and just bought a primer pocket swager and started reloading all the discarded mil-surp brass people would leave laying around the range.

My sentiment exactly! Lake City NATO brass continues to be my favorite for reloading range/plinking ammo. And some HEAVY "just in case" 223 stuff. I will reuse it until the cases start to split or the primers won't hold in the pockets.

KMW1954
10-17-2021, 09:39 AM
The range I work PT has a local FFL Re-manufacturer that we use. He is licensed and bonded/insured. Best I can tell is he loads slightly to the lighter side of factory. I've talked with him and he buys quality components and does all his work on Dillon 1050's.. He also buys our range brass.