PDA

View Full Version : Savage 111 stock replacement

dds8388
10-06-2021, 08:56 PM
I'm sure it's been asked before but just have a few quick questions. I got a Savage 111 in 7mm mag and the stock is cracked, so I bought a used hogue stock but my guns got the blind mag and the new stock is for a detachable mag. What all would I need to buy/ replace or is can I just buy a plate. Not sure if it matter but my 111 is pre 2000 with the flat top.

Dave Hoback
10-07-2021, 10:16 AM
Hi dds. Welcome to the forum. You aren’t being ignored, just we need more information. You picked up a used stock that accepts a magazine, but what magazine? Is it AICS? For what cartridge length? This is the issue with used parts unless you have the knowledge beforehand. Maybe post a few pictures, we may be able to help better.

Wildcat
10-07-2021, 08:35 PM
dds,
1. Determine if your blind magazine is staggerfeed (the magazine box remains attached to the action when you remove it from the stock) or centerfeed (the magazine box is not attached to the action and remains in the stock when you remove the action from the stock). According to the Hogue website, their LA stock is for the detachable magazine or hinged floorplate models which are centerfeed. The Hogue stocks are not made to use AICS magazines
2. If your 111 is centerfeed, all you need to do is purchase the metal detachable magazine floorplate or hinged floorplate and corresponding 7mm mag detachable magazine.
3. If your trigger guard is plastic, you should replace it with metal one to mate with the detachable magazine floorplate.
4. Install it all in your stock and you should be good to go. You may need longer action screws; you may not.

You could also purchase only the metal bottom plate of the magazine (instead of a new complete magazine) and combine it with your existing centerfeed blind magazine box and follower (the three parts snap together) and create a 7mm mag magazine.

One other thing I remembered ----- the depth of the area on the rear tab of the detachable magazine floorplate where it and the front of the trigger meet can vary in the depth of the milling depending upon whether or not the detachable magazine floorplate was made to work with a bottom bolt release trigger guard (deeper) or a original/Axis style metal trigger guard (shallower). I have encountered both. I have original/Axis style metal trigger guards and if the area is shallow in depth they mate up with no problem. If you have an original/Axis style metal trigger guard and the area on your detachable magazine floorplate is deep, there is a small gap between the top of the trigger guard and the bottom of the magazine floorplate that you will need to fill with a spacer/washer of some sort to ensure solid metal to metal contact when you tighten the action screw.

I hope this explanation was helpful. I didn't include pics but could if they are needed. If I've misstated something, another member with more knowledge will certainly point out my error and correct me.