PDA

View Full Version : Stevens 200 Cerakote

steve_dune
10-06-2021, 07:52 PM
I picked up a used Stevens 200 that I'd like to cerakote. It has a round red plastic safety insert behind the safety switch. Do you guys tape it and just aluminum oxide blast around it, try to pop it out or how do you do it? Will it melt? I will use 250 degrees for 2 hrs for the cure.

jkv45
10-07-2021, 09:36 AM
I picked up a used Stevens 200 that I'd like to cerakote. It has a round red plastic safety insert behind the safety switch. Do you guys tape it and just aluminum oxide blast around it, try to pop it out or how do you do it? Will it melt? I will use 250 degrees for 2 hrs for the cure.
I can't say for sure, but I would expect it would melt or at least deform.

I always completely disassemble, and remove any plastic, before media blasting or curing a coating.

If it would melt, you would have a mess. Then you would need to locate a new part.

RCE1
10-07-2021, 11:20 AM
I would just leave it blued.

Timb
10-07-2021, 11:26 AM
I'm not a cerekote fan, but if I were going to do it, I'd complete dissemble the rifle as much as possible.

steve_dune
10-07-2021, 12:25 PM
Right now I have it down to the barreled action. Just trying to figure out what everyone else does with the red indicator. It looks like it is staked in the receiver.

RCE1
10-07-2021, 12:51 PM
Have you considered melting it out, cleaning the hole, doing your cerakote and then filling with epoxy? You can color epoxy with various dyes and pigments. There once was available a kit for making red sight inserts, as I recall. Probably colored epoxy.

steve_dune
10-07-2021, 06:15 PM
I never thought about using epoxy and making a new one. I think you can mix acrylic paint with the epoxy for color. I know you can buy replacement ones if needed but I'm not sure if they make different size ones or not. I figured someone else would have sprayed cerakote on a Stevens or a Savage that has the same insert and would offer some guidance.