PDA

View Full Version : Axis .308

Pages : [1] 2

bhsurf4
10-06-2021, 03:05 AM
I bought a Savage Axis in .308 with a Weaver 3-9 scope on it, from the local gun store, about 8 months ago. It was sold as used, but unfired, because the plastic tab on the buttstock was broke. Not a problem really since the sling stud holds it on. Anyway, I bought it hoping my son would want to give shooting/hunting a try. Not happening! It sat in the safe for a while, and I finally decided I was gonna sell it. Took it out, to at least sight it in first, and with the factory ammo I have, it does not want to group at all. It’s hunting ammo, so I wasn’t expecting sub-MOA on everything, but the best I could get was with some Norma 150 grain soft points, and that was about 3” or so. Most of the other stuff I shot (Hornady and Federal) was really inconsistent. I checked to make sure everything’s tight and torqued to spec and it all seems good. I have several Savage rifles, and they are all tack drivers. Thinking I may take the scope, rings, and scope rail completely off and re-install it. Just kind of thinking out loud right now, hoping I didn’t just get a dud! Definitely don’t want to sell it, unless I can get it shooting right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

prdatr
10-06-2021, 09:48 AM
Well you are on the right track as far as taking it apart and putting it back together but I would maybe go one step further and put a different scope on it.

57springer
10-18-2021, 09:52 AM
I have been considering one of these rifles in the 308. The reviews for the most part are good . I hope you figure it out .

bhsurf4
10-20-2021, 02:32 AM
I have been considering one of these rifles in the 308. The reviews for the most part are good . I hope you figure it out .

Actually going back to the range in the morning to try out some hand loads and see if they group any better. Even with all my issues with this one, I highly recommend Savage rifles. I have 3 of them, and this is the first problem I’ve ever had. And I’m hoping I just haven’t found the ammo the rifle likes yet. Some rifles are just picky like that. My Savage in 6.5 Creedmoor has shot anything I put in it, MOA or better.

bhsurf4
10-20-2021, 02:43 PM
What an amazing difference hand loads make. The rifle was shooting anywhere from 3 MOA to not worth measuring, with factory ammo. With my hand loads, it’s sub MOA. This is one of the groups I shot this morning. I have no doubt I can tighten it up, by fine tuning the powder load. I was at my wits end. Glad to know it’s not just a dud rifle. Just a little picky!
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211020/557d333ffc2456b471355ec528b323d9.jpg

prdatr
10-20-2021, 04:35 PM
So what is your recipe?

hamiltonkiler
10-20-2021, 05:37 PM
Tell us more.. mine shot touching holes with 168gn smk in a factory load.
Cheers

charlie b
10-20-2021, 08:10 PM
Glad it shoots. My 12 is picky about ammo. Seems to like 155's the best.

bhsurf4
10-20-2021, 08:25 PM
I’ve got boxes of factory hunting ammo in .308! Remington, Federal, Hornady, Norma, Sierra, and Winchester! Every type and weight that is sold....I have at least one or 2 boxes of each! The Norma shot about a 3” group, and that was by far the best. I thought either my scope was broke, my barrel was trash, or I just couldn’t shoot the gun!! Seeing this rifle put 3 shots in an actual group almost brought a tear to my eye. I still don’t feel comfortable selling it, because it won’t shoot any of the factory loads, but at least I know it will shoot!

charlie b
10-21-2021, 08:51 AM
I had the same issue with factory .223 loads in my Axis. Heck, even some of my early reloads were not that good. Then I started using Sierra Matchkings.

Depending on how much you paid for it you could still get some money for it as a project rifle. It accepts std 110 barrels and has a boltface that will accept many different cartridges.

Just curious, which stock does it have on it? I wonder if you have a "flexible flyer" type. They are famous for touching the barrel if the rifle rest is too far forward of the magazine area.

bhsurf4
10-21-2021, 10:40 AM
I had the same issue with factory .223 loads in my Axis. Heck, even some of my early reloads were not that good. Then I started using Sierra Matchkings.

Depending on how much you paid for it you could still get some money for it as a project rifle. It accepts std 110 barrels and has a boltface that will accept many different cartridges.

Just curious, which stock does it have on it? I wonder if you have a "flexible flyer" type. They are famous for touching the barrel if the rifle rest is too far forward of the magazine area.

It’s the cheap black plastic stock. If I keep it, I’m gonna either do something to stiffen it up somehow, or replace it with a Boyd’s.

bhsurf4
10-23-2021, 06:02 AM
Just ordered a kit from Mcarbo to stiffen it up. They are 3D printed blocks that fit into the hollow spaces in the stock. Was watching videos on people using all sorts of things to stiffen it up, this seems a lot easier.

charlie b
10-23-2021, 08:40 AM
That's pretty cool. Keeps it lighter as well. Most use globs of epoxy and a steel rod.

I went with a Boyd's Pro Varmint. I just like the look of wood better than a chassis or plastic.

ninner
10-23-2021, 09:50 AM
I prefer lead shot in epoxy to increase the weight but since I just paid $70 for 25 pounds I use it sparingly.

hamiltonkiler
10-23-2021, 01:12 PM
Yea just pour epoxy in the grids.
Works great. Sand the barrel channel sides out and spray it camo.
Bed that recoil lug and front of the action while your at it.
Cheers

bhsurf4
10-23-2021, 06:50 PM
Yea just pour epoxy in the grids.
Works great. Sand the barrel channel sides out and spray it camo.
Bed that recoil lug and front of the action while your at it.
Cheers

Gonna have to look up how to bed the Axis since the lug is part of the stock and there is a recess in the barrel where it fits in.

charlie b
10-24-2021, 08:51 AM
I just bedded it the 'normal' way. When I pressed the action into the stock I made sure to push it hard against the recoil lug. I ended up with almost no bedding material between the recoil lug and the action.

FWIW, there is not much surface that needs bedding the way the action fits. You do have to take a lot of care for the recess where the recoil lug goes. The barrel threads are exposed so liberal use of a release agent (or some clay) is recommended. It's a good time to fit pillars too. :)

bhsurf4
10-25-2021, 05:50 AM
I just bedded it the 'normal' way. When I pressed the action into the stock I made sure to push it hard against the recoil lug. I ended up with almost no bedding material between the recoil lug and the action.

FWIW, there is not much surface that needs bedding the way the action fits. You do have to take a lot of care for the recess where the recoil lug goes. The barrel threads are exposed so liberal use of a release agent (or some clay) is recommended. It's a good time to fit pillars too. :)

Original plan was to sell it. Then I ran into problems with accuracy. First it was a broken scope mount, which I replaced. But now, it still won’t shoot factory ammo worth a damn. I’m at the point, that I’m really not comfortable selling it since the only thing I can get it to shoot well are hand loads. Besides the fact that the whole rifle is only worth about $300 anyways. Probably just gonna end up keeping it, and either replace the cheap plastic stock with a Boyd’s and pillar bed it, and see if that helps with the accuracy issues at all, or just take the action and put it in a chassis system, and put a 24” barrel on it.

MtnOak
02-21-2022, 10:41 PM
I would like to know how it turns out for you, I’ve got the same issue with the same rifle, sprays bullets everywhere no matter what factory ammo I use….

bhsurf4
02-22-2022, 01:20 AM
I would like to know how it turns out for you, I’ve got the same issue with the same rifle, sprays bullets everywhere no matter what factory ammo I use….

Only factory ammo I have found that I would be comfortable using to hunt with in the rifle is the Norma Whitetail. I can get just under 2 MOA with it. It’s just sitting in the safe for now, still not sure what I’m gonna do.