PDA

View Full Version : Axis .308

Pages : 1 [2]

charlie b
02-22-2022, 10:59 PM
Just an FYI. Savage uses Federal Gold Medal Match 168gn for their factory testing in .308. If you can't find it then maybe Black Hills match ammo?

Yeah, I know they say to not use them for hunting.

MtnOak
02-22-2022, 11:09 PM
I use the federal gold metal match 168 bthp regularly around here but the axis I own didn’t group them well, I used several different rounds, I’m thinking I’ll have to load some specialty ammo or try and make some upgrades or just go with another barrel, stock and scope all together…….kinda defeating the purpose though might as well buy a whole new rifle if I do that….

Dave Hoback
02-22-2022, 11:45 PM
Bedding, barrel free float. Or new stock/Chassis. I’d wager your groups become a great deal better.

MtnOak
02-23-2022, 08:17 AM
It’s looking like boyds gun stocks or nothing unless there’s other options out there I can’t find…

MtnOak
02-24-2022, 12:46 PM
So…..I been posting in the axis forum, turns out this is actually a model 11 :frusty:

hamiltonkiler
02-24-2022, 01:36 PM
I called savage about a 11 30-06 I had one time. They straight up told me I was lucky to get 1.5-2 MOA out of it. A good bed job and trigger work 2.5#s should get your .308 a lot better.
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave Hoback
02-24-2022, 05:11 PM
I have trouble envisioning Savage telling a customer that in quite those words, LOL.

charlie b
02-24-2022, 07:12 PM
Never know who is going to be answering the phone at customer service. :)

charlie b
02-24-2022, 07:13 PM
So…..I been posting in the axis forum, turns out this is actually a model 11 :frusty:

It's OK. Barrels are all made the same.

MtnOak
02-24-2022, 08:29 PM
I ordered a Boyd’s prairie hunter stock today:
pepper laminate, standard finish, kick eez recoil pad, black polymer angled tip, pillar bedding, laser ribbon stippling forearm and grip.

Now I’ve got that on the way gimme some suggestions on what barrel manufacturers to order from….
Id like to go with a straight flute matte finish but are we talking 1/10 or 1/12 twist ??
this rifle will never fire anything heavier than a 168grn and possibly down to 125grn ballistic tip boat tail sierra…
I like Shaw barrels but I know there’s Mcgowen , hart etc, etc ….

bhsurf4
02-25-2022, 02:49 AM
I had been considering a Boyds stock and a Shaw barrel at one time for my Axis. I don’t have any personal experience with Shaw, but I’ve seen some pretty good reviews. Probably need to do something with that damn rifle! I may just give it to my daughter. Her boyfriend has a hunting lease, and she goes up there with him every so often. She didn’t care about hunting until she got a boyfriend that hunts! Wouldn’t be a bad rifle for her to start with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave Hoback
02-25-2022, 03:56 AM
I ordered a Boyd’s prairie hunter stock today:
pepper laminate, standard finish, kick eez recoil pad, black polymer angled tip, pillar bedding, laser ribbon stippling forearm and grip.

Now I’ve got that on the way gimme some suggestions on what barrel manufacturers to order from….
Id like to go with a straight flute matte finish but are we talking 1/10 or 1/12 twist ??
this rifle will never fire anything heavier than a 168grn and possibly down to 125grn ballistic tip boat tail sierra…
I like Shaw barrels but I know there’s Mcgowen , hart etc, etc ….

Go with the 1:12. It will stabilize up to & including 168gr. Actually does ok with 175gr’s as well, but those are about pushing it. As for barrel maker, honestly... go with your gut. I’ll say the Shaw barrels, while very good barrels, are not in the same league as McGowan, Shilen, Bartlein, and half a dozen or more other barrel makers. The Shaw are the more affordable line. If your budget is there, go with the Shaw and you will still be very happy. But if your budget allows, any one of the top makers is the way to go. I currently use a Shilen. When it’s time for a rebarrel, I’ll go either Bartlein or Brux. But you shouldn’t get anything just because someone else does. Research the names and go with what feels RIGHT for you. :redface-new: Seriously, you can’t really make a mistake with the top line barrel makers. They all shoot very well.

MtnOak
02-25-2022, 02:19 PM
I guess we are all in the wrong business folks, I been on the phone with 4 different barrel makers today and they range from 4 to 7 months out on getting a barrel shipped to you……

Dave Hoback
02-25-2022, 02:56 PM
Oh, yeah... I could have told you that, LOL! Bartlein is like a YEAR+ now!

MtnOak
02-25-2022, 04:29 PM
Oh, yeah... I could have told you that, LOL! Bartlein is like a YEAR+ now!
Wonder if savage would sell me a factory barrel ?

Dave Hoback
02-25-2022, 05:14 PM
Order the one you want, and just have some patience. Have you checked with Bugholes, X-caliber, International Barrels? Bugholes in particular. I’d be surprised if they didn’t have 1 or 2 laying about.

And, NO.. Savage will not sell you a barrel. Sorry.

charlie b
02-25-2022, 06:28 PM
Good luck. I checked NSS web site and the only .30 cal barrel they have is a .300Win Mag. They do have a 6.5CM, small shank.

PS if I were to ever order another .308 it would be 1-12. But, that's cause I mostly shoot cast bullets in it. :)

MtnOak
02-25-2022, 09:53 PM
I never got to check with anymore barrel manufacturers, we got busy at work, I’ll try again Monday, if this rifle had a 26” barrel instead of 22” I’d put the stock on it and move on…